HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
chicagoetc

Advantages of Exercise

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I thought this recent article from the BBC was interesting/helpful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14417084

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Advantages of Exercise

This has also just been on TV along with a piece about how good dragonboat racing is for arm lymphoedema.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Debbie L.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, in relation to breast cancer mostly but also just in general. We (the big societal "we") have a lot of information about how activity, normal weight, and a reasonable diet can improve our lives, and our health (and with so few side effects!). Increasingly over the past few years, there is more information about fewer breast cancer recurrences in active people. I will quibble that I don't think we have ANY idea exactly how much activity might be the "right" amount. But still, getting moving is an excellent thing.

Yet even though people know this, there is not much change happening. Obesity, just for one example, is an epidemic in our country. No one sets out to become obese, certainly. Many obese people struggle to change their eating behaviors, and research has shown that while almost everyone is capable of weight loss -- keeping it off is extremely difficult (and rare).

The other aspect that concerns me is that for people who are aware of the various recommendations about exercise and avoiding obesity, and would like to follow them but are unable (for whatever reason) to do so -- there is guilt, shame, and discouragement. Lots of it. Just ask a smoker with lung cancer how difficult it is to deal with that judgement, both personal self-judgment and that of others.

So is there a better way to deliver these lifestyle messages? A way that might better motivate and encourage people? A way that is less guilt-producing, shaming, and discouraging? I don't know the answers to these questions but I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't put some of these research dollars to work to see if we can deliver the messages in ways that are more likely to produce change.

I have seen studies where the intervention studied is the formal exercise class or education series. But I don't know that people need some certain exercise class. It's not that complicated. It can be as simple as a walk around the block or some stretching on the bedroom floor. I think what people need is simply more encouragement to get moving at whatever level works for them. If we make it seem too complicated (special classes, etc), then it's less sustainable. Your thoughts?

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
tricia keegan

I saw this earlier and while I've always exercised the one time I could do very little was during chemo due to extreme fatigue, I missed it and if able to I would have continued for my own enjoyment and relaxation but so do agree with Debbie this could make many people feel more stressed at not doing this at a time they are simply unable to!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
snolan

My thoughts and how I choose to live is that we have to start with our kids. Instill in them the value of activity/exercise, healthy eating to include sitting at the dinner table together. These values ,I think, have been lost. We have seen so many stories on how the introduction of fast food, video games, the effect of both partents working etc has had. That does not mean we have to fall into the habits that are laid out for us. We may not be able to change the world, I certainly don't try to, but I do try to instill the changes to my kids and hope they can pass it on and lead by example.

I think it will eventually come to head when insurance companies will start to be more strict when it comes to paying for preventable diseases. My thoughts only.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
chicagoetc

My oncologist only told me to do one thing re food/exercise when I started chemo: Walk 30 minutes a day five days a week. It was not hard. I walked as slowly as I needed, faster later. It gave me more energy than I thought. It's not that I didn't crash out later, after I walked. Many months later I decided to decrease my fat content. And later (months) I did more. They were lifestyle changes that actually worked/helped and were not hard to implement given they were incremental, slow, and self-directed.

I still try to walk at least 30 minutes a day. [Ok in the winter I did floor exercises, calisthenics for 30 minutes when it was too cold or I could not get to a treadmill.]

I had to stop when on Taxol (could not walk due to discomfort/pain) and was fatigued by it when receiving radiation. But I never felt guilted into exercise or eating changes. Nor had I a clue when I started re how to lose weight.

Weight problems are epidemic. My health insurance company is actually beginning to reward members for healthier living, more preventative health. How to address it on a broader scale is far beyond what I know or could imagine.

But I am thankful for my oncologist's advice.

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Trish

Debbie I couldn't agree more about guilt and blame being self defeating. I worry about legitimate public health messages induucing guilt and self blame and I am unsure of the way forward but I think setting up an environment that encourages health is key. The reduction in smoking gives me some hope. I live in Australia and 25 years ago smoking was acceptable in public buildings,workplaces and a lot of people's homes and now it is unthinkable to smoke in restaurants and even in bars smoking is highly restricted. Reduced advertising has made a big contribution to that shift in mentality I'm sure. Perhaps restriction of advertising of high fat and salty fast foods would help reduce the prevalence and accepatability of "junk foods". I was mildly offended the other day when a paper bag advertising a well known hamburger chain blew into my garden-more than the littering I disliked the fact that the presence of the bag somewhat legitimises a product and more importantly a mentality that contributes to obesity. I was bemused by the fact that it wouldn't have bothered me in the past but the problem of obesity has shifted my thinking. I am far from a health puritan and actually benefit from the good role models around me. Seeing people out walking, riding and cycling always encourages me to keep up my level of activity. Design of cities that makes it easier and more pleasant to cycle and walk certainly helps people to integrate physical activity into their lives.The trick is to facilitate healthy lifestyles and discourage unhealthy habits without stigmatising those who are struggling. Easier said than done of course.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Great post Debbie and I agree with every bit of it. Although we all know what we should do, doing it is difficult. I remember when treatment was over for me, trying to do ALL the right things to stave off a recurrence. Then when I slipped up felt so guilty and thought "oh my gosh, what if it returns, it will be my fault." Then I got realistic I realized, life is life. We all slip up. Getting a recurrence or not has nothing to do with whether or not I do or don't do all the right things. Since then my philosphy has changed. My philosphy is this.......each day when I get up I thank God for my health that day. Then I set out to take the best care of myself I can. Some days I do a great job. Some days I don't. I exercise almost every day. I powerwalk anywhere from 2 mile to 5 miles per day. I TRY to eat the right foods but always have a "treat" of some sort everyday. Some days (on the "great job" days) I have one "treat." On the (not such a "great job" day) I may have a few treats. Here I am 6 years since diagnosis. No recurrence as of yet. It has nothing to do with what I have or haven't done. I know that's true because I don't do it all well. Just ok. As you so perfectly stated Deb......the guilt..the shame....OH we surely don't need to add any of that to the mix. What good does THAT do? Now THAT probably causes more harm then good.

Thanks for a great post Deb.

Hugs and much love....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Jackie07

A 13-year Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor, Mother's motto is: "In order to stay alive, a person has to 'move'".

A new study of Chinese cancer patients also suggests exercise adds advantage to survival:

Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011 Jul 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Exercise after diagnosis of breast cancer in association with survival.

Chen X, Lu W, Zheng W, Gu K, Matthews CE, Chen Z, Zheng Y, Shu XO.
Source

1Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Abstract

It has been suggested that exercise following breast cancer diagnosis is inversely associated with mortality. However, controversy exists regarding the causality of such associations.

We evaluated associations of exercise after breast cancer diagnosis with total mortality and recurrence/disease-specific mortality after accounting for conditions that restrict exercise participation. The analysis included 4826 women with stage I-III breast cancer identified 6 months after diagnosis through the population-based Shanghai Cancer Registry and recruited into the study between 2002 and 2006.

Exercise was assessed approximately 6, 18, and 36 months post-diagnosis and metabolic equivalent (MET) scores were derived. Information on medical history, cancer diagnosis, treatments, quality of life (QOL), anthropometrics, and lifestyles were obtained by in-person interviews at 6 months post-diagnosis. Medical charts were abstracted to verify clinical information.

During the median follow-up of 4.3 years, 436 deaths and 450 recurrences/cancer-related deaths were documented. After adjustment for QOL, clinical prognostic factors, and other covariates, exercise during first 36 months post-diagnosis was inversely associated with total mortality and recurrence/disease-specific mortality with hazard ratios of 0.70 (95% confidence interval (CI): 0.56-0.88) and 0.60 (95% CI: 0.47-0.76), respectively. Significant dose-response relationships between total and recurrence/disease-specific mortality rates and exercise duration and MET scores were observed (all Ptrend<0.05).

The exercise-mortality associations were not modified by menopausal status, comorbidity, QOL, or body size assessed approximately 6 months post-diagnosis. An interaction between disease stage and hormone receptor status and total mortality was noted.

Our study suggests that exercise after breast cancer diagnosis may improve overall and disease-free survival.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
pibikay

Hema went to her periodical check up.The Onc had earlier advised to walk and climb stairs.He asked a pointed question whether she was walking and later said she should go for walks botn in the morning and evening.The minimum being 30 mts a day
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Debbie L.

Great discussion, so good to read everyone's perspective. Thanks for chiming in.

I agree (snolan) that if we can start with our children that is important. But I worry about the children who don't get that start -- how and when can we best help them enjoy the benefits of an active body?

The comments (Trish) about how encouraging it is just to see activity modeled (like people out walking or cycling, etc) is so true. Maybe it will be that we just need to keep at it, and we'll get to a "tipping point" (great book, if you haven't read it, check it out), and suddenly we'll notice that the majority of people are getting outside and getting moving. As you also said, it IS encouraging to look at how smoking behaviors have changed, at least in the older (not teens) age groups.

I didn't mean to say that I didn't think there's hope that more and more of us can be more active. And MaryJo, I'm leaving it at that -- "more active", vs. "inactive". Let's keep it simple and not stress when we don't meet our own (perhaps stringent, smile) expectations. You almost exactly describe me and my attempts to "be good", it made me laugh. I'm no poster child for any of this, having been overweight all my life, and pretty inactive/unathletic. Now (since breast cancer), I try to be sure that at least if I'm eating too much, it's fairly decent things that I'm eating. And I am grateful to have found a few activities that I truly enjoy, that help me stay active.

Just like everything else, we have to encourage people to find what's right for them -- for each individual -- in this. I may feel nearly-claustrophobic on a treadmill in a gym and you may feel freaked out by bugs and dirt hiking a dusty trail -- and we're BOTH right, for us individually.

Debbie
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
tricia keegan

I feel it's good to get this message across and if someone feels able to do this they know now it's helpful, but if not they can plan an exercise regime after their treatment, without feeling guilt!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Rich66

Strange that with such a youth and body conscious society folks don't put it together for the sake of vanity etc.
But I think chicagoetc makes a good point that excercise makes people feel better..so it doesn't have to be viewed as a dutiful chore on behalf of a healthier society. Be selfish..do it for yourself. Same with diet. Don't view the endless sources of insulin distorting carbs and sugar as your friend..they make it hard to get through the day without feeling hungry and tired between meals..as well as making you overweight and more prone to cancers.
i.e. be selfish..this is what you want, this is what you don't want.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
snolan

A good point mentioned that what ever activity you chose you need to enjoy it or you won't stick with it. Going to the gym for some people is not fun. One thing I have seen here locally in our high school is incorporating life sports (i.e. those sports our bodies can tolerate thoughout life). This would include biking, swimming. I can't imagine a day without my bike, but back in high school all I was concerned about was basketball and tennis, neither of which I play anymore. If we can give our kids skills that they can carry with them as they progress through life they may have more success with maintaining a healthier life style. As for the rest, hopefully as was mentioned, as more people start to get active it will become the norm.

Being a workout freak I could keep posting on this topic forever. So sorry if I ramble on too much.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
PinkGirl

just be careful when you exercise ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	don't swallow your gum.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	809

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
schoolteacher

Pink,

Glad to see you on the board.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Elizabethtx

Pink,
That made me laugh out loud! Which by the way keeps down stress, another risk factor!
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Laurel

Pink, may I just say that I love you! That was hysterical!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
LoisLane

Pink so funny!!! I need to figure out how to find that picture and email it to my sisters. They will probably fall off the chair when they see this......you are one funny lady....
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
MJo

I am six years out and I am taking everything for granted, so I need to be reminded. It's hard to believe that after all the terror and treatment, I would turn into a couch potato and eat a lousy diet. It's almost criminal, frankly, since I got my second chance. But that's the human animal - at least some of us. So I am glad to be reminded to eat right and exercise. I hope I "get it" eventually.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote