HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Lani

interesting new article/editorial:her2 overxprsng bc-time for the cure w less chemo

Curr Opin Oncol. 2011 Sep 13. [Epub ahead of print]
HER2-overexpressing breast cancer: time for the cure with less chemotherapy?
Loi S, de Azambuja E, Pugliano L, Sotiriou C, Piccart MJ.
Source
aBreast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory (BCTL) bBreast International Group (BIG) Headquarters cBrEAST Data Center dDepartment of Medicine, Institut Jules Bordet, L'Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium.
Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
There have been recent new developments in the treatment of breast cancer that over-expresses HER2 (ERRB2/HER2 positive) and the mechanistic understanding of trastuzumab response. We review these findings and reflect on how they may influence the next generation of clinical trials in this breast cancer subtype.

RECENT FINDINGS:
Two recent trials in the neoadjuvant setting report that treatment with dual anti-HER2 agents was superior, in terms of rates of pathological complete response, to trastuzumab alone. Recent data also highlight that HER2 positive disease is biologically different according to estrogen receptor status and for long lasting clinical remissions, anti-HER2 therapy also seems to require an effective adaptive immune response.

SUMMARY:
We are currently in a very exciting era for therapeutic approaches in HER2 positive disease. Recent data suggest that intensive chemotherapy regimens may not be required for some women if we can determine the most potent combinations of signal inhibitors. We also propose that different clinical trials may need to be designed for HER2 positive breast cancer according to estrogen receptor status and consider incorporating immunotherapeutic approaches.

PMID: 21918439
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
NEDenise

Re: interesting new article/editorial:her2 overxprsng bc-time for the cure w less ch

Lani,
You're right! This is a very interesting development! I'm going to ask my onc tomorrow if she knows anything about this development. I'll let you know what I find out.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
schoolteacher

Re: interesting new article/editorial:her2 overxprsng bc-time for the cure w less ch

Lani,
Thanks for the article. I started back on Herceptin again in August. I am also taking Tykerb. When I started back on the Herceptin, my tumor marker was 78 and after the loading dose it fell to 58. That is a 25% reduction. I had my markers taken this Friday. It will be interesting to see if it falls another 25%. If it does, I will be at the high end of the range.

I did not get my paper work until Friday for my blood draws. My HER2 level using the ELISA test was 112 on August lst. It made me very nervouse when I saw that on Friday. I wondered if anyone else's level has ever been this high. I don't know if he checked it this time or not. I am making the assumption, which I do not like to make assumptions, that my HER2 level also decreased since my tumor marker went down. I am waiting to her my from my blood work on Friday.

Tykerb alone will definitely not hold my cancer in check.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote