HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Lani

annual recurrence rates for breast cancer--this time by ER status,# involved nodes,vi

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8082157643273172/

sorry, it didn't look at her2 it seems, but I will investigate further
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Margerie

Are they looking at patients treated with surgery alone??

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Lani

even after reading the full article three times

I am not sure. Maybe it is because they are Japanese! They certainly do not express themselves well!

They discuss how the ARR should influence how long one treats w tamoxifen, AIs, when to give chemotherapy, but do not specify the treatment(s) the breast cancer patients received, even as to whether they had BCS vs mastectomy, radiation therapy or not, tamoxifen vs AI, chemo /what type/or not.

That leads one to think perhaps they got no treatment other than surgery, ...but it is dangerous to make assumptions!

Perhaps next month's publication will have a letter to the editor regarding this!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Hopeful

?????

Lani,

I was confused by the findings, as they seem opposite to everything else I have read re: ER+ vs. ER-. This paper says ER+ recurrences peak at 2 years, and that ER-'s peaked at 2 years then again at 6-7 years. This sounds like they have it reversed.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Lani

I am not reading it that way

and as I said I read the full article 3 times and remain confused as it is very poorly presented.

Overall (ER+ and ER-s combined) recurrence peaked at 2 years and then the recurrence level stayed constant.

This illustrates my contention that it is best to delineate the recurrence rates of different types of breast cancer.

When separating out ER+ vs ER- the latter had two peaks and otherwise was much less likely to recur after 5 years. The former peaked at 2 years but continued to remain elevated many more years out than ER-, especially if there were a large no. of + lymph nodes. The vascular invasion part was particularly poorly worded, both in the abstract and in the article.

I have sort of given up on the article, but just posted it as many voice annoyance that there aren't better stats to give her2+ patients regarding their risk of recurrence and how it varies with time since surgery.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Hopeful

Lani,

Your explanation is more consistent with what I have read in other papers. I don't know if some of the issues are bad presentations or due to people trying to communicate in a language that is not their native tongue. Maybe a bit of both. Anyway, thanks for putting the effort into this.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Becky

Just want to clarify peak in recurrence rates.

They are the same for ER+ and ER- disease - 2 years. However, highly hormone positive bc also has another peak at about 7-8 yrs out (which is not as large as the 2 yr peak) that hormone negative disease does not have. All bc can recur years and years out but it really declines after about 4-5 years. It just rebounds again for the highly hormone positive. This probably substantiates how effect Tamoxifen is for ER+/PR+ disease and the use of another 5 yrs of Femara after 5 yrs of Tamoxifen.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
dlaxague

Another study, with graphs

Hi all,

Does anyone have access to the full text of this study? I just doesn't seem right. Backwards, as others are saying. Plus, it might have graphs in the full text. I do love graphs.

I have an older study on the same subject, with lovely and numerous graphs. The women did receive chemo but the hormonal treatment, if appropriate, was short. Still, it has beautiful graphs of recurrence rates done in different ways (showing higher, sharper peak for ER-), and also interesting differences in site of recurrence, depending upon hormone status. It's a PDF file - I don't know how to send it to the list. But if you're interested, let me know and I'll try to send it privately. It's from 2003, and is called "Estrogen Receptors and Distinct Patterns of Breast Cancer Relapse", and is from MD Anderson, with authors that include Buzdar and Hortobagyi.

Being ERPR negative, I've paid attention to recurrence contrast information stratified by hormonal status. As Lani says, most of these statistics look at just one factor and contrast that, when doing timing of recurrence stats. But I think that in general, it can be assumed that the more aggressive cancers would behave in a similar way regardless of characteristics that earn them that "badge". Higher, earlier risk of recurrence for the more-aggressive ones. Somewhat balanced by being relatively off the hook sooner, if that recurrence doesn't happen.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Unregistered

Re: annual recurrence rates for breast cancer--this time by ER status,# involved node

Hi, I know this is an old post but wondered if anyone had any new views? It's 5 years 8 months since I was diagnosed and had yearly check last week, when I asked about increased recurrence rates for ER+ I was told that he felt that was not the case now and my risk at the moment would be the risk that would remain... I also asked about staying on Arimidex and was told I could have another year!

Thanks

ER+
Her2+
1 lymph node+
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
tricia keegan

Re: annual recurrence rates for breast cancer--this time by ER status,# involved node

I was wondering the same thing, and also in view of the fact that I have some bone loss on arimdex but highly triple pos and not sure if my onc will agree to me continuing to take it due to the bone loss.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
Jackie07

I was told last summer to resume my Tamoxifen even though I'd finished the 5 years and had had oophorectomy 7 months prior. Then I found an article mentioning the continuing protecting effect of Tamoxifen after menopause.

Since Tamoxifen causes less bone loss for post menopausal women (there's even reports claiming that it has good effects on bones for post menopausal women), I wondered if it can be given to those who have had Aromatase Inhibitors such as Arimidex.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-13-2011 at 03:55 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #12
Unregistered

Trisha, I am also osteopenic and feel my stiff joints are getting worse but being in Scotland it could be the damp weather!!

Jackie, I thought Tamoxifen wasn't recommended for Her2+ and that after 5 years of Tamoxifen they were recommendind an AI?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
Jackie07

I looked up the database and found some new researches that could be the basis of my oncologist's decision. [He 'mailed' the sticky note "just want to make sure you are taking Tamoxifen" with a prescription a day after my appointment last summer - obviously not wanting to spend time explain... ]

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/tamoxifen
Under 2. How does Tamoxifen work:
Although tamoxifen acts against the effects of estrogen in breast tissue, it acts like estrogen in other tissue. This means that women who take tamoxifen may derive many of the beneficial effects of menopausal estrogen replacement therapy, such as a decreased risk of osteoporosis.

Eur J Cancer. 2010 Jun;46(9):1580-7. Epub 2010 Apr 21.
Prolonged tamoxifen treatment increases relapse-free survival for patients with primary breast cancer expressing high levels of VEGF.
Sanchez BC, Sundqvist M, Fohlin H, Spyratos F, Nordenskjöld B, Stål O, Linderholm BK.
Karolinska Biomics Center, Karolinska Institute and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
Abstract
Previous retrospective studies have shown that high intratumoural levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) correlate with an inferior outcome for patients treated with adjuvant tamoxifen. Our objectives were to validate the impact of VEGF on survival after adjuvant tamoxifen and to investigate the interaction between VEGF and treatment duration. For this purpose tumour homogenates from 402 patients with operable oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer (BC), treated with tamoxifen for 2 (n=149) or 5 years (n=253) as the only systemic adjuvant therapy were included. The median follow-up time for surviving patients was 9.8 years (range 0.5-14.8 years). Expression of VEGF was assessed by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and investigated in relation to the standard BC parameters and survival. In the total population, higher VEGF was significantly correlated with shorter recurrence-free survival (RFS) (HR=1.63, 95%CI=1.11-2.39, p=0.010), breast cancer corrected survival (BCCS) (HR=1.82, 95%CI=1.13-2.93, p=0.014) and overall survival (OS) (HR=1.51, 95%CI=1.11-2.05, p=0.009). High VEGF was significantly associated with reduced RFS (HR=2.61, 95%CI=1.45-4.70, p=0.001) after two years of tamoxifen, whilst no difference was seen in patients treated for five years (HR=1.09, 95%CI=0.64-1.84, p=0.760). A statistically significant interaction was observed between high VEGF expression and improved RFS after 5-year tamoxifen (p=0.034). In concordance with previous studies, high VEGF was significantly correlated with shorter survival. We present data not reported previously revealing that patients expressing high levels of VEGF display a better outcome provided that tamoxifen is given for five years. Further studies on the impact of VEGF on a 5-year regimen are motivated.

Breast. 2010 Apr;19(2):76-83. Epub 2010 Jan 21.
Aromatase inhibitors versus tamoxifen as adjuvant hormonal therapy for oestrogen sensitive early breast cancer in post-menopausal women: meta-analyses of monotherapy, sequenced therapy and extended therapy.
Josefsson ML, Leinster SJ.
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom. m.josefsson@doctors.org.uk
Abstract
Adjuvant tamoxifen reduces relapses and prolongs survival in patients with oestrogen sensitive breast cancer. Development of resistance is however common. Tamoxifen can be given for a maximum of five years; although the risk of recurrences remains high after this period. This review examines nine randomised controlled trials including 28,632 women, which studied aromatase inhibitors (AIs) as an alternative to tamoxifen in three treatment settings: monotherapy (instead of tamoxifen), sequenced therapy (tamoxifen is switched to an AI) and extended therapy (following adjuvant tamoxifen). Disease free survival was significantly improved for monotherapy (HR 0.89, [95% CI 0.83-0.96] p = 0.002) and sequenced therapy (HR 0.72, [0.63-0.83] p < 0.00001). There was no difference in overall survival for monotherapy (HR 0.94, [0.82-1.08] p = 0.39) or extended therapy (HR 0.86 [0.79-1.16] p = 0.67). Importantly, overall survival was prolonged for patients who switched from tamoxifen to AI therapy (HR 0.78 95%CI 0.68-0.91, p = 0.001).
Copyright 2009 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-13-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote