Cancer antigen 15-3 22
Carcinoembryonic
Antigen 1.4

September 21, 2009

Cancer antigen 125 8.7
Cancer antigen 15-3 22
Carcinoembryonic
Antigen 1.1

While these are in normal range I wonder why the CA 125 is up from 8 to 8.7 and why the CEA dropped from 1.4 to 1.1

I also wonder why the numbers were LOWER when the tumour was still in my body. Only the CA 125 has slightly crept up.

What does the CA 125 mean in terms of numbers slightly rising? What affects it?

Nervous nelly...............that's me,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Tumor marker tests - what do they mean?

DianneS,

When looking over your cancer characteristics it seemed to me that yours and mine are similar (other than that your tumor was larger). So... even though a comparison with me is just a comparison with one person, I thought I would mention it.

At the time of completing treatment my markers were at the high end of normal, and gradually over the 7 years since then they settled down, and have stayed in the lower end of normal. They are a measurement of inflammation and for some they work as a very rough measuring stick and for some they don't.

I consider myself fortunate in that my PCP lets me have them because over time they created enough of a history that I can use them as just one more tool to consider. Even if they changed to abnormal I would not assume it meant a return of the cancer. Inflammation can be caused by too many things, including being overweight, having some other disease problem, eating a poor diet, etc.

If there were other indications for a return of cancer in addition, then to me the markers would mean something more if they too were abnormal.

Many people who tend to be anxious or who are at higher risk for a return of cancer do not want markers done, or don't want their doctors to tell them the results, and I can understand that too.

Hope that helps.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
DianneS

Hello, AlaskaAngel,

I suppose that is why many doctors don't use tumour markers - because they are not reliable. However I consider them worthy because they show a trend, whether up or down. I am lucky to be able to have whatever tests I need (free) here in Canada and I get them when I need them. Being new to the game however, I am not sure WHAT tests are routinely performed...so when people say they are NED, what tests have they had to confirm that? Here in Canada doctors don't like to do unnecessary MRI's or CT scans. There are many published reports on the dangers of the radioactive dyes used in CT scans/PET scans and I sure don't want them done routinely.

Other than bloodwork and tumour marker tests, are there other tests to confirm NED? I suppose I could ask my doctor these questions but I find my her2 sisters seem to have the information I need.

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
AlaskaAngel

For early stage bc, Circulating Tumor Cells are not considered reliable/helpful, but they are used as one indicator for higher stages.

I asked my onc once why bone marrow testing isn't routinely done at time of surgery as a baseline, and he said that has been suggested, but hasn't worked out.

When people say they are NED, what it means generally is that their blood tests are normal and their most recent imaging results are normal. Some might include whether or not they are having any intense symptoms. It is hard to have to go without any definite indicators but we don't yet have any.

I agree with your reluctance about imaging, especially with early stage bc. When I had a CT as part of being tested to be considered for the TEACH trial (lapatinib for those HER2's who never had trastuzumab), I had almost a week of daily radiation sickness (it is more PC to call it "radiation fatigue and nausea"), because by that time I'd had so many bone scans and CTs and mammmograms. And that was just as a stage I NED.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote