HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
DonnaD

Bone scan, CT, and PET?????

Hoping I can get a little info from my sisters here. Must admit I have not done any research yet but I will.

As some of you know I have been having issues with a rib fracture discovered right after treatment. Recent pain required yet another bone scan and CT. The CT came back showing healing and no new fractures. The bone scan had two areas light up in the original area. After seeing a Thoracic surgeon on Mon. he suggested a PET scan in Sept if there is no improvement or the pain gets worse.

I am really confused about what these tests show. Can anyone help me understand the difference between a bone scan, CT and PET/scan. Is there a concern about the amount of radiation in a 3 month time frame?

Also my tumor markers are in the normal range, but slowly inching up. They all have been done with the Abbott Architect automated analyzer . The report states using this method numbers are 12% higher than other methods of testing.
CA 15-3
12/07 15.9
6/08 15.7
12/08 17.1
6/09 17.7

I would appreciate your insight. I don't like being in this seond guessing world we all live in now.

Thanks,
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 07-19-2009 at 11:34 AM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Lori R

Donna,
Thank you for asking this question. I've received regular PET/CTs (found liver spot) and an annual MRI for the brain (all clear) and a DEXA (ostepenic)

I've been concerned about not having a bone scan. Would a bone scan show something that all of these other tests would have missed?

Anxiously awaiting responses from all of the brainiacs on this site.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Ruth

From what I understand PET can pick up bones spots so I think it can take a look at everything however, it does have false positives or spots light up that may not be something to worry about.
Hopefully Becky will log in soon ~ our smart RN lady knows!

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Henny

Well Donna-here goes

A bone scan is a metabolic scan where you get injected with a labeled mineral. It goes to all the bones but wherever the bone is healing (fracture, mets, other bone diseases etc) more of the labeled mineral is taken up. It's specific for where but not what is causing the bone to remodel itself.

A PET scan is also a metabolic scan but you get injected with a labeled sugar. The sugar is taken up by cells that metabolize lots of glucose. They look for the sugar to be taken up in areas where you wouldn't expect lots of sugar to be used. It's normal to see uptake in the heart but not in the liver or lungs.

A CT scan is an xray done in 360 degrees. It doesn't have anything to do with cell metabolism. It shows the anatomy really well.

The PET/CT combines both so you get the metabolism from the PET which is fairly fuzzy with the really clear CT so when they're fused you see exactly where the cells that are growing faster are.

Right now there is a lot of discussion in radiology about bone scans vs PET scans for bone mets. Some say bone scans are better and others say PET. There is a new kind of bone scan coming out in a few places that is a specific PET bone scan (with sodium-fluoride instead of glucose) that looks like it will be a great imaging agent.

I know this doesn't help make the choices but I hope it isn't too rambling of an explanation
A/C, Taxol, Herceptin
Bilateral mastectomies with recon
Zometa 2/yr for 3 yrs- finished 8/2011
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
DonnaD

Henny,
God bless you! I really appreciate your input about the difference between all the tests.

I am trying to go over all tests results again and see what they really say. I only wish the same person reviewed all bone scans. Not so.

My onc is going on a maternity leave soon. She suggested a PET/CT in Sept. I am tired of second guessing everything. That is the route I will probably go with. But I am very interested in the new type of bone scan you mentioned. I will persue this more. Being at a large teaching hospital they should have some insight in this.

Your signature is very similar to mine. I am curious about you taking Zometa for 3 years. That was never even discussed with me. Do you know your tumor markers?

Thanks sis, your a doll.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 07-17-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Henny

Donna,
I'll look for the sodium fluoride PET bone scan articles on Monday when I get to work-I know they're in a folder somewhere. I do know the scans are being done in Seattle and I think maybe Stanford is doing a study looking at combining the sugar and sodium PET agents but don't know the preliminary results.

I asked my onc for zometa when I read about it last year. He agreed that it was a good thing to try as a prevention but would be off label so I may have to pay for it. Fortunately my insurance covered it.

I also asked him about serum tumor levels when I was first diagnosed and he thought they were too unreliable so I didn't push it. Maybe it's time to ask about it again.

In the meantime I noticed a couple new lumps near my scar and had an ultrasound today which showed 2 spots but wasn't specific. Could be scar or a nasty thing. Seems like a biopsy is in my near future. I'm going to put this in a box and try not to think of it this weekend when I can't do anything about it. Ah for the good old days when life was a little easier and I was a little naiver
A/C, Taxol, Herceptin
Bilateral mastectomies with recon
Zometa 2/yr for 3 yrs- finished 8/2011
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
Mary Anne in TX

Donna and Henny, very best wishes to you both! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Becky

Dear Donna

Of course you are scared and confused but I really think everything your body has gone through is causing you difficulties now. You got nabbed with the side effects of radiation on the ribs. You got a broken one and between age and the weakness in that bone due to rads, it is not (and may probably not) heal 100% properly. That is what the CT is showing. If you get a PET/CT, it might even freak you out more. Why? Because healing or injured bones will light up too (not just a cancer spot). Why? Because healing and injury are also more metabolic too.

As far as the markers are concerned, don't be concerned. I am almost 5 yrs out and my first marker was 11 and it has inched up over the years to 26 (and it is pretty stable there now - sometimes 21 or 23 etc). I think this is normal and I wouldn't be concerned with it. Movement from 17 to 37 (which 37 is still in the normal range) would pique my interest and I would ask for the markers to be re-run in a month to see if they continue with larger leaps but there is no difference in your numbers. Test wise, 15 is the same as 17.

Also, although we've posted many articles on small studies of women (12) where the cancer changes from hormone positive to negative or Her2+ to Her2- (or vice versa), it only happened in that small study 30% of the time. What I am getting at here is it is rare for Her2+, hormone negative cancer to go to the bones (and only to your injured rib as the bone scan didn't have any other spots!) Hormone positive cancer loves bone. No way. It's your gosh darn broken rib and rads caused it to weaken, break and not heal properly. I am sure if you still have pain, you will want to get the PET but discuss with the doctors before hand what you think will happen (healing bone lights up) and are there any assurances that that won't happen and if it does, then what? How will they determine what your problem really is (cuz I don't think its cancer but of course you have to have professionals determine this and you need to ask them how they are going to determine this).

Rest, rest,rest and baby, baby, baby that side to ensure and encourage as much healing as you can between then and now. Even if you half the pain, you are going in the right direction as cancer pain does not improve and yours will because you don't have cancer. I really believe this with my whole heart (but no way will I discourage you from insuring this). Take your calcium and take at least 2000iu or more of Vitamin D3 too. Look up the rads side effect issue and see if there are any healing tips. Even call your rad onc or rad nurse for tips too. They may have some.

I am giving you a huge cyber hug since only a pat would do if we were together so you can baby your ribs.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
AlaskaAngel

One further thought...

Donna, your question brought out exceptionally good info and I hope this thread gets lots of reading over time.

I just want to add a comment about one question you had -- your concern about the amount of radiation you are getting through imaging. The concern is real and I'm glad you recognized that.

Because cancer patients often see a variety of doctors over time, and because no organized effort is consistently made by medical providers to track the cumulative amount of radiation we receive, the risk involved goes unmentioned.

At 5 years out as a NED stage I, I made a list of every bit of radiation I have ever received and took it to my annual physical exam to discuss it with my PCP. (His daughter is a radiologist.) The reason I did this at the time was because I was being considered as a participant in the TEACH trial for lapatinib for the HER2's who missed out on trastuzumab, and in order to qualify for that, I had to have a CT to demonstrate that I really was actually NED to begin with. I had the CT, and the tech walked back in and said she was going to have to do it over for some reason. I was very reluctant, but because of the trial I went ahead and let her. For almost a week afterward, I had radiation sickness. That term is not what medical providers euphemistically call what I had, but that is what it was. I could get up okay in the morning but by noon I could barely stand up, and by night I was flat in bed, ALL week. That told me a lot about radiation exposure. And the trial required having CT scans every 3 months, for a year. In addition, over the years I likely might need other scans from time to time.

Think about it. The medical providers certainly don't.

I withdrew from the trial.

Sad to say, the amount of rads I have received over time is very questionable medically. And remember also that it was recommended for someone who was only a Stage I, with no evidence of disease.

You are the only person involved with your medical care who is likely to keep a tally on the amount of radiation you receive over time.

This is very poor practice on the part of medical providers and continues to go unnoticed. As patients, especially in the age of computerization, the amount of rads we receive should be tracked on every medical record we have from the very first dose we get.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
DonnaD

I have found great comfort in all your post, especailly Becky's and her Cyber hug . I will call the rad. onc tomorrow and see what she thinks or if she wants to go over everything with me in her office. Thank you one and all.

Henny, I am praying hard for scar tissue. Someone on the board had a similar situation, all was okay.

AngelAlaska, I wish we would have had more chatter about the radiation issues we all race. I appreciate your sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Mary Anne in TX

Great information! Thanks so much everyone! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Joan M

Donna,

Regarding a PET/CT scan, anything cancerous but smaller than 1 cm has a high probability of not lighting up. And I'm not sure whether the size of spots on the bone scan are equivalent to the size of spots on a CT scan, meaning that if something shows up as a nodule on CT scan and it's larger than 1 cm, it should light up if it's cancerous. However, keep in mind that inflammation can also light up, as well as bacterial and fungal infections, tuberculosis, etc.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
chicagoetc

Donna,

Did you see/talk with the rad onc? And, if so, with what result?

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
DonnaD

I have been in communication with my rad onc by e-mail. She is happy to see me. Follow up visits are done on Tuesdays and I can't go July 28 because my PA family is coming in as well as the SD kids. Soo...I am trying for an appointment Aug.4. Called today and did not get a return call with a date. I WILL call back tomorrow.

Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
Sheila

Hey Donna
I will be there August 4th...Dr. and chemo....maybe we can do coffee or lunch....nothing better than that hospital atmosphere

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #16
Mary Jo

Hi Donna.....There is nothing I can add to what your other "sisters" said, but can I give you a gentle hug and reassurances that I'm sure all is well????? Ok, here goes........GENTLE HUG and CALMING REASSURANCES.

Love,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
mmoons

Great question

Thank you for asking this, Donna. I learned so much for reading this thread...as I always do from all of you!

Love,
Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote