HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Laurieanne

Smile Tch?

Hi guys,
I'm starting chemo Aug,13th. It will be Taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin. I've read about alot of allergic reactions to taxotere and I'm getting really nervous.

How bad are the reactions and can they always reverse
them? I'm not as worried about the side effects as i am about the reactions.

I hate the waiting,
Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
BonnieR

Laurie, I was on TaxOL, carbo and Herceptin. My big fear was a Herceptin reaction. I got hung up on it. But the cancer center psychologist would say that when I received my first infusion it would seem like a balloon being stuck with a pin and all the air being let out. All the anxiety being released. It was a good image for me. And that is just how it turned out. Also, I was reasssured by the treatment room nurses that they first administer drugs to prevent any adverse reactions, they stat the chemo slowly, monitor you carefully and can halt right away. Plus there are drugs to counteract any adverse reactions. AND you should receive some anti-anxiety med to get you through that first time. Maybe you could visit the treatment area ahead of time and talk to staff to tell them your concerns and get some reassurance. .
Most of us have been where you are right now. The anticipation is the worst. But we have come out the other side and you will too...
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Bebol

Hi Laurie,
I was on Taxol and Herceptin after during 4 rounds of E/C. My nurse assured me it will be much easier to take. And she was so right! As Bonnie mentioned, I too received drugs prior to the administration of the chemo. I never became nauseated as much as I was on E/C (big thanks to the meds of course); just some headaches or wooziness. The metallic taste was still there, but more significantly, Taxol gave me neuropathy - the tingling sensation - on my fingers and toes. It took quite a while for that to go away. Other than that, it was much better for me.

Keeping you in my prayers!
ER-, PR-, Her2neu+ Grade 3
Mets 2/8, Double Mastectomy
Chemo: 4 E/C, 4 Taxol
End of chemo: 2-1-08 ;-)
Radiation & Electron boost: 35 trts
Last rad'n day: 4-22-08! ;-)
Herceptin started 12-21-07; ongoing until 12-12-08

Bebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
BonnieR

Regarding neuropathy, I had almost forgotten about it because mine has become alot less noticible. My onc recommended trying an amino acid product called "Glutamine" during chemo. It is thought to ease the symptoms. Basically is a powder you mix into a beverage. Over the counter, health food store thing. You might want to ask your doc about it.

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Laurie!
First of all....you can do it! You will sit in that chair and take a deep breath and tell yourself how lucky you are to have someone giving you this yucky stuff to knock those dang bc cells out of commision. Taxotere and carboplatin can both have side effects that require meds, but you might not have them, or very mild effects. Ask them what meds you might need and then ask them to give you prescriptions for them all. Get them filled and even if you think you might, maybe, someway, feel like you're getting them, take the pill. Get all prepared for anything and then it probably won't happen. Whatever, you can do this, girl! The purpose is far greater than any side effects. And have them drip you slowly and you'll do even better. You can do it!
We'll all be praying for you and available to "talk to".
You're so smart to be asking questions! And you will be so proud of yourself when that time is up. Have a "victory plan" for something terrific to do, eat, someone to talk to, something! Reward yourself and have it to think of the whole time. Ask the nurses if you don't understand what is happening. You can do it! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
sarah

Hi Laurie,
I had Taxol and Herceptin weekly for 6 months. I had a slight anxiety attack at the 4 month point. I was very tired but read a lot of books and I love reading. I lost my hair and put on weight.
My oncologist said that weekly doses which are lower, would be easier to take and I think he was right.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
hutchibk

L - I had Taxotere with Adria and Cytoxan... and Carbo with Taxol and Herceptin. On both regimens, I usually felt pretty good on infustion day and the day after, then by day three when I started feeling puny for 2-3 days, fatigued for about 5 total days, and then felt pretty good for the remaining two weeks until my next 3 week infusion.

Just a few hints that I learned:

Take your anti-nausea meds at regular scheduled times and stay ahead of the nausea. I never got full blown nausea at all, I only ever got queasiness. And never got sick, beyond queasiness.

Taxotere can screw up your nails - take care of your finger and toe nails before you start the regimen and before every infusion. Use tea tree oil on your cuticles and Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails on your fingers and toes before every infusion. It can cause ugly darkening of your nails if you don't take good care of them.

Taxotere/Carbo are sensitive to B6 and B Complex vitamins... don't take them 24 hours prior to infusion or 5 days after an infusion. The B vitamins can potentially interfere with the efficacy of these chemos during this "protected zone" - and we want these drugs to work as efficiently as possible...

Let us know how you are getting along.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-03-2008 at 12:45 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
Laurieanne

Thanks for the advice about b vitamins. I do take a b-complex, which I won't now. Should I be getting steroids a few days before treatment? I see alot of
us do, but I wasn't given any prescriptions.

When I had A/C I know they gave them to me right before, through the IV. Just trying to avoid a reaction if I can. Should I call and ask?

Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
BonnieR

I was not given anything prior. The steroids were in the IV. And Benedryl, to prevent allergic reactions
I had Compazine to take "in case" but never had nausea.
Oh, and one other thing, even though is is hot outside, those treatment rooms are usually kept pretty chilly. Bring something with long sleeves! And dress comfy. Have something to distract yourself, a book or iPod.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
DanaRT

Dear Laurie,

I completed six rounds of Taxotere and Carboplatin with Herceptin on April 4th of this year. I found that the decadron and anti-nausea meds truly helped. The oncologists first started me out on 16 mg. of decadron but backed it down to 8mg. It's a steriod that made me feel really good but couldn't sleep and ended up with headaches. Changing the dosage worked well.

Just as hutchibk said I felt good the day of and day after but by day 2-3 I was ready to have a lay around day. I would take it easy for 3-4 days and then begin to feel better. Never once did I have nausea just a few gaggy moments.

One thing my family noticed was that the evening of treatments I would be sharp tongued and unreasonable at times. I felt on edge, nerves maybe and the steroids (decadron). I would get angrier than normal when my daughters didn't call to check in, etc.
Sorry to ramble on and on but this site (and others) helped me so much to get through chemo and radiation I want to pass on my experience and help others.

The carboplatin succeeded in removing my ability to taste food. Although I enjoyed orange sherbert and some spicy foods during that time. Food I normally loved tasted horrible. I would drink a soda through a straw and that seemed to taste pretty good. I was not good about diet during chemo time. Couldn't seem to successfully digest leafy salads but enjoyed pasta salad.
It did change my bowel habits from one semi-extreme to the other from day to day but it was doable.

It was important in my line of work to take the chemo months off. I felt that I couldn't be dependable enough and didn't want my employer to have to find a substitute for my "down" days. It happened that I could have worked many of the days in-between chemo treatments and did go in a few times to work behind the scenes in my ball cap covering my bald head.

I am currently receiving Herceptin treatments every three weeks - 442 mg. It's been relatively easy.

Laurie, You will do well. Chemo has come so far and is very doable. You'll feel the meds and chemo working it's miracle through out your body. It's doable and you'll be well!
Wishing you the best.
Feel free to ask me anything at timmfam@ligtel.com.

Dana

P.S. I had severe heartburn a few evenings that was uncomfortable but protonix helped.

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
hutchibk

L - You can take your B's, just not for 6 days around the infusion day. Actually, it is a good thing to take them while you are on the regimen, but not 24 hrs prior or 5 days after.

I never got decadron prior... I just got it on infusion day at the beginning of infusion.

Your white cells and red cells will possibly start to crater a little, especially with Carbo. Your doc will monitor this and if you drop too low they will give you shots to help boost your blood counts...

Like Dana and everyone here has said, you will do fine. Just be prepared to feel like you drank a little gasoline, LOL. And with the price of gas these days it's probably just as expensive as chemo.

I took Nexium for my heartburn/acid reflux and it worked just fine...

Brenda

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
DanaRT

I should include that I received a Nuelasta injection just after the 24 hour time frame of every "intense" chemo day. I tolerated Nuelasta well too. Only once did my CBC levels drop but not enough to delay treatment.
I was a ferocious hand washer too--I turned in to a bit of a germ freak temporarily. Wiping down shopping carts, etc.

Keep us posted, Laurie, and let us know how it went on 13th.

Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%