HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Marie in RI

How to check out a foundation/organization

My new daughter-in-law has asked me about "Brides against breast cancer", an organization that takes donated bridal gowns, sells them and funds breast cancer research. Does anyone know how to check on a group like this to see if they are legitimate before donating? She asked me and I have no idea how to check.
Stage T1cN0Mx
IDC & DCIS 1.8 cm Grade 3
Sentinal node biopsy 3 of 3 negative
ER+PR+Her2+(3.8)
4 rounds A/C final 11/15/07
52 weeks herceptin (12/2007)
33 radiation (12/2007)
5 years tamoxifen

"Seven days without prayer makes one weak"
Marie in RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Vi Schorpp

Brides...

Brides Against Breast Cancer: Event in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania ...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>One of the Making Memories fundraisers is Brides Against Breast Cancer. It can give brides-to-be, an opportunity to find the wedding gown of their dreams ...
www.thecancerblog.com/2007/09/11/<WBR>brides-against-breast-cancer-event-in-drexel-hill-pennsylvania/ - 42k - <NOBR>Cached - Similar pages - Note this</NOBR>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Watermelon Shoes: Brides Against Breast Cancer

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>My wedding dress cost $250 plus a $200 entry fee to the opening night fete of this year's Brides Against Breast Cancer event in New York, yet it feels like ...
watermelonshoes.blogspot.com/<WBR>2007/11/brides-against-breast-cancer.html - 57k - <NOBR>Cached - Similar pages - Note this</NOBR>
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
halfvass

Charity checking

There's a good article on bankrate.com on checking out charities. Here are the websites that they give for more info:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bullet vAlign=top width=10>•</TD><TD class=interactive-gr vAlign=top>Association of Fundraising Professionals</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet vAlign=top width=10>•</TD><TD class=interactive-gr vAlign=top>American Institute of Philanthropy</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet vAlign=top width=10>•</TD><TD class=interactive-gr vAlign=top>Wise Giving Alliance</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet vAlign=top width=10>•</TD><TD class=interactive-gr vAlign=top>GuideStar</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bullet vAlign=top width=10>•</TD><TD class=interactive-gr vAlign=top>Independent Sector

Hope this helps.

Deb
halfvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
halfvass

Update

Did a little checking myself and the name of the foundation is Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. They do seem to be a legitimate charity. Find out more about them at http://www.makingmemories.org

Deb
halfvass is offline   Reply With Quote