HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Mary Jo

Sentinel Node Mapping Using Blue Dye

Hello All,

Once again it shows the benefit of this site. The information Lani shared on the use of blue dye for sentinel node mapping and possible ER negativity because of it has my medical team searching for answers. Way to go Lani!

I forwarded the information to the head nurse of the breast care clinic at Froedtert who is also the nurse to my surgeon. I forwarded this information on Friday evening and this morning, Monday morning at 8:15 a.m., she called me thanking me for sharing. She said the article is from a "very reputable source" and she will discuss it with the head pathologist at Froedtert and with my surgeon. She will also forward it on to my oncologist.

You see, I was originally told (before blue dye) after my very first needle core biopsy (when I was told I had breast cancer) that I was ER/PR positive and her2neu positive. After going to Froedtert and having my mastectomy and 2 sentinel nodes removed I was told I was ER/PR negative. When the slides from my place of diagnosis were re-reviewed it was determined that I was ER/PR negative to go along with what surgery pathology of the tumor the original place said "oops - typo." After reading this article it sure made me want to question and question I did.

So, now the wheel is in motion and my oncology appointment scheduled for mid August with my new oncologist has been moved to July 5 to discuss these issues.

At this point, after a quick read through of my history, the nurse told me this morning that it looks like the initial re-review of speciman was with no blue dye but she can't be sure. So......time will tell. I'm also going to ask about having my ovaries removed when I meet with my new onc. I guess I'm just not comfortable keeping them. We'll see what Dr. Chitambar has to say.

So.........................LONG STORY short..............................Thanks Lani for sharing this with us and helping us all look out for ourselves.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Lani

I would assume that oncologists and surgeons would be hesitant

to stir up a hornet's nest with this imagine having all your patients calling in to see what dye was used and if their specimen could be reevaluated regarding ER status.

I hope this causes pathologists and surgeons to look into whether the concentration of methylene blue used by most surgeons could cause the misinterpretation of ER status.
Also, the article states that there are two other dyes used (more expensive, I think) that did not cause the problem.
There are other ways to test ER status as well.

So, I guess in the long term they need to investigate whether it is better to change how they test ER status or what dye they use (or its concetration) if they want to ensure the best results to determine the best treatment for each patient.

Glad this was of use!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote