HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
Hopeful

Mammo today

I had my first mammogram since my surguery in June today; it is actually my annual screening mammo (last screen was done 4/20/06). Since last year, the facility I use has converted about half of their mammo facilities to digital, so this was my first experience with that technology. I have to say, all things considered, it was not so bad as I had anticipated. I am still very tender from the rx treatment, so I wanted to take some kind of pain killer before I went. My surgeon said Motrin. Because I am an obsessive/compulsive personality, I got up very early and took two, with the intent to "test" the sensitivity after an hour, and still have time to take a third pill if necessary (I deemed it necessary).

The center where I go has 7 or 8 locations in a two county area and performs 50,000 mammograms a year. They are very cutting edge. The technician who performed the test explained the process to me, and allowed me to view the images that were generated from the x-ray (they are all computerizied). I had mentioned that my surgeon used a lot of clips - until I looked for myself, I had no idea! I bet I'll be setting off metal detectors at airports!

I really liked the way the technology allowed the technician to take a lot of the "mystery" away from the process - she was very open and I felt more like a participant in my care. She told me not all the techs let the patients sneak a peek, and they are strictly forbidden to comment on the images, (of course, as they are not physicians) but just the manner in which the whole process was handled left me with a good impression (no pun intended).

The results won't be read until Monday, and the report will go out then. I know many of the women here find the stress of waiting for results very difficult. Personally, if I think there is even a remote chance I could get bad news . . . . I can wait!

I plan to enjoy the rest of my weekend, and hope you all do the same. I will post on my results when I get them.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Caroline UK

Smile Yes, have a great weekend

Dear Hopeful,
I'm going to have my first post-treatment, annual mammogram myself next month. I can't imagine what it's going to be like. That's how it all started, of course, and I think it's going to be quite strange with all the looking back it will no doubt bring.
Enjoying your weekend sounds like an excellent plan. Hope the weather's good for you and you can get out and about in the sunshine, and forget all about You Know What for a while.
All the best
CAroline
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Hopeful

I received a letter from my surgeon yesterday telling me the mammogram had shown "no evidence of malignancy." I am going to go to the facility where I had it done and pick up a copy of the actual report tomorrow for my files. Looks like another good weekend ahead.

Hopeful
Old 04-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
suzan w

Talking

Yay!! Great news!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
janet11

Good deal! I had my first post-treatment mammo a week ago too, and it was my first digital mammo. Quite interesting being able to see the images right after they were taken. I also have NED (yippee). However, I do have a good sized seroma. But after talking to my surgeon a few days later, we're going to wait until my October mammo (I'll also be ready to get my port removed then) to decide what to do about it. Sounds good to me!

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Chelee

Hopeful, I am so glad you got the all clear on your mammo. Its always such a relief. Good timing as you said because now you can REALLY enjoy your weekend. Yeah!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Janet, Congratulations on your good mammo also. Looks like you too can relax and have a nice weekend without added worry. I am so happy for the both of you. I will be interested to see what your surgeon does about your seroma...I've been living with one for a year and I am tired of it. It was drained but came right back darn it.

Lets keep all this good news coming.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Hopeful

Thanks everyone for all your kind good wishes.

Janet, congratulations on your good news, too. I found the digital mammo experience to be quite positive due to the interactive nature of it. So much of our treatment is dehumanizing, it just felt good to be in a situation where I was a person and not a "case". I was so nervous, where I never have been before, and it calmed me down quite a bit to be able to see the images myself right away. I left feeling very good about it, something I can't always say about the rest of my treatments.

Regards,

Hopeful