HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Erin

Is a port a neccessity?

Hello Everyone,

Well chemo starts tomorrow (6 rounds of Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin, with Herceptin to continue for 1 year). Not sleeping very well, bought my wig and some hats over the weekend...that was another surreal moment. Starting chemo feels like the real beginning of this....surgery was so quick and really not difficult that it didn't bring home the gravity of the situation like this is.

Here are my questioins: I hear a lot about ports...it seems that everyone gets one. My onc says he will try to use my veins to start, but if they collapse I will need a port. How likely is it that I will get through all 6 rounds without needing a port? Seems like everyone gets one. If I continue to do IV to the veins, will it cause permanent damage, as I have heard? If I am going to get a port anyway, shouldn't we start with it?

Ladies, what do you think?

Thanks for your help :-)
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
atdec05

Hi Erin,

The port can be mutually convenient for you and the nurses. Is it hard to find veins? Do you mind needles? Will you be getting weekly Herceptin? Those are all good reasons to have a port, not only for treatment but also for blood work.

I had a port as well because I was getting Adriamycin, which can damage your veins and skin if it leaks out. With a port the likelihood of leakage is greatly reduced.

As your onc. noted, if veins are accessed alot, they can get damaged. I'm surprised they don't recommend a port to begin with. Some women don't like the feeling of a port, especially if you're thin. I was very concious of my port for the first few weeks, but I'm glad I have one.

- Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
suzan w

I don't have "great" veins! For some reason the thought of a port always bothered me-a friend had one years ago and had all kinds of problems with it. Everyone thought I should have one, but I went ahead with the "let's try it and see" attitude. I had 4 rounds of A/C (had to stop for complications) and then a year of Herceptin, every 3 weeks...along with 4MUGA scans,bone scans, blood work every visit...and numerous other pokes. There was one nurse who could find a vein every time...and I requested her! There were some times when it took a few tries but I have made it so far with no port! It is an individual decision and I think I am probably in the minority!!! Good luck!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
KellyA

Port

Hi Erin,

I would strongly recommend a port if you are going to be getting herceptin for a year. It really does help out alot and is not a big deal at all to get. I had a friend tell me about a kind that goes on the inside of your upper arm ( they called it a passport) and I think it is WONDERFUL! Only I know that it is there- it is really hidden. Anyways, they really do help make things so much easier.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
MJo

I had 3 dose dense A/Cs, 4 taxols and Herceptin every three weeks for nine months without a port. My veins on my left hand got pretty beat up, especially when you add the needles for Muga and other tests. On the other hand I skipped the outpatient surgery to insert and remove port. If your veins are tiny, there's no question. If your veins are big enough, it's up to you.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
janet11

Amazing to think that they didn't SUGGEST a port right off. I was on TCH too: So for 18 weeks, you'll get TCH every 3 weeks AND Herceptin EVERY week. Then you'll go to Herceptin every 3 weeks. That's a LOT of vein sticks!

I've been SO glad I've had my port! Not only because I have hard-to-stick veins, but the thought of getting an IV every single week for months when there is an almost painless alternative.... Yuck.

But good luck with what you decide to do. One consideration: what if they get a few cycles into chemo and THEN want to do the port. I found that I was a lot slower healing from stuff while on chemo. I was very happy that I had the port installed a week before I started chemo. I was MUCH more comfortable.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
chrislmelb

all i can say is.............

get a port!! they are great.
Christine

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
naturaleigh

I am so glad that I have a port, I worry constantly about my veins. I am in SC and here, they will not use my port to take blood. If your onc office does like mine, they take blood everytime I have treatment, which is once a week for me now that I am on Herceptin. They take blood out of my vein and give me chemo through my port. If I did not have my port, they would have had to stick my vein twice (for blood and chemo) instead of just once. I had my port put in Dec 05 and have had no problems with it. I just heard they have come out with a new and improved port where they can draw blood from it. If your onc has heard of this one, it would be 0 sticks to your veins. I would be all over that idea!!

Good Luck, everything will work our fine. You will find out that you are so much stronger than you ever imagined you could be.
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
mts

I cried when I was told that I needed a port. My first thought was that only really sick people get ports... Well, after my first chemo infusion, I was soooo glad I had it.

I had a pediatric port placed in the upper chest area. I did not have that "bump" one gets with the larger ports. I just had it removed last month,(YEAH!). The scar barely shows. Most of all- it was hugely convenient for the chemo and my year of Herceptin. Really glad I had it!

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Andi

I did my DD A/C, my 12 weekly Taxol & Herceptins and the remainder of the year Herceptin every three weeks without a port. There were times it was very trying to either draw blood or give my infusion, but they always succeeded. When I had my recurrence, I was going to have weekly infusions and blood draws and decided to have a port put in, as by time I had my surgury and all the tests my right arm was shot and it took them 5 tries to get the iv put in for a CT scan. They are able to draw blood from my port as well as give chemo. I am very happy with it and am glad I had it put in, however, if I would not have needed this last round of chemo, I would have been satisified without it.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
Carol Carlson

Erin,
I had 4 rounds of A/C, 4 rounds of Taxol and 1 year of Herceptin ( every 3 weeks) plus many blood draws and I didn't have a port. I really just didn't want one. They often had difficultly finding a good vein since thay only had one arm to work with, so I would "tank up" the night before ( drank a lot of fluids ) and they used a heating pad to help open the veins ( get them more to the surface) and those things helped. Also there is some kind of intrument they can use to find good veins, some kind of light, but my onc.'s office didn't have one unfortunately... guess there are pretty expensive.
Anyway I had to grind my teeth a few times but glad I chose to be port-free.
That's not to say if I needed chemo again ( God forbid) that I wouldn't consider having one. I guess whatever works for you and whatever you are comfortable with is fine.
Good Luck...
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
tricia keegan

Hi Erin!

Glad to see you here!
I got through to treatment 3 on a/c without a port and really wish I had had it from the start.
the drugs have ruined my veins and now the port is out since mt treatments ended I dread blood draws.
When I had my ooph they had to put the anesthetic in the vein in my neck ouch!!
I'd recommend the port every time!
Tricia
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Erin

Red face Decsion on getting a Port

Hello Ladies, and thanks for all the wondeful feedback. It is soooo important to me to get your experienced opinions on these things!

I had my first chemo yesterday, without a port and everything went very well. So far I am nausea free, so I think I am very lucky. However, the nurses were quite adament that they thought the port was the best way to go. And, while I was there I saw many ladies come and go for treatmetn and it seemed so much easier with the port. So I deceided to have one put in next week. I will not be able to get my routine blood draws from it since our lab is not staffed with RN's (a requirement here in CA). But, I am sure it will make all the other treatments that much easier.

Thanks again for all your advice and support!!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
Mary Jo

Hello,

Just needed to offer my 2cents worth also. For some reason I did not want a port. After my mastectomy and finally admitting to myself that I really did need chemo I did not want the constant reminder of a port sticking out of my chest. It's just the way I visualized it and I didn't like it. Anyway, my onc. was very positive and encouraging in NOT having a port unless I needed it. I went through 4 dose dense A/C - 4 dose dense taxol along with Herceptin, every 3 weeks, for 1 full year ALL in my left arm only. I had virtually no problems whatsoever. I can think of 3 times that they had to stick me more than once. One time 3 times and two times only twice to get the vein.

So, I'm a believer in no port IF it works for you.

Good luck,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
Bev

Yeah. Getting my port out Monday. The nurses prefer the port. Your infusion nurse should be able to draw blood for testing just prior to infusion. My docs didn't draw blood from the port until I was nearly done with tx. In a perfect world they should be using it.

I would have preferred IV, but I was afraid of AC. To me a stick in the arm feels the same as a stick in the chest and I have large veins. Guess we don't know unless we've done it both ways.

Good luck on treatment. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #16
DonnaD

Hi Erin,
You are beginning the second step of your journey. I wish you luck and you will be in my prayers. I am almost finished with chemo. Had 4 rounds of A/C and 3 rounds of Taxol and Herceptin. One round of Taxol to go then finish out the year with Herceptin every 3 weeks. My onc said lets try it without a port. Seems they can cause problems for some and others do fine. My onc nurse suggested using a soft rubber ball daily to build up the viens in the hand. It has worked great for me. She also uses a hot pack right before she inserts the needle. So far only one miss and it was not my regular nurse. My mugas are done in the vein in the arm saving the hand for treatment only.

Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote