HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Donna

help on how quick will I lose my hair! please...

Hi all,

I am new, newly diagnosed etc. etc. and will put up a profile, but I need to decide QUICK how soon to cut my hair. I am going to make a wig from my own hair - long story, long hair - and I will be taking Adraimycin (sp) and Cytoxan every two weeks for 8 weeks to start - then on to Taxol and Herceptin and more......

But, how fast did your hair fall out on this first protocol I am taking?

Thanks to you all,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Tessa

Good bye hair

I took epirubicin, something very like adriamycin plsu taxotere and was told my hair would fall out in 19 days - and it did, to the day. You might want to get a jump on things and cut it a few days ahead so you can harvest the entire headful for a wig.

It is not a happy moment, on the other hand, it absolutely grows back the instant you stop chemo, and I had the masses of curls of my dreams for about the first year afterwards.

Good luck and head high,

Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Tessa

Good bye hair

I took epirubicin, something very like adriamycin plus taxotere and was told my hair would fall out in 19 days - and it did, to the day. You might want to get a jump on things and cut it a few days ahead so you can harvest the entire headful for a wig.

It is not a happy moment, on the other hand, it absolutely grows back the instant you stop chemo, and I had the masses of curls of my dreams for about the first year afterwards.

Good luck and head high,

Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
bobbiw

Hi Donna

I had the same chemo regime (except my AC was every three weeks) and my hair started to fall out right after my second dose.
Good luck and hang in there.
Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Becky

I had AC every 2 wks and my hair started to go on day 13 (day before my second treatment). I was completely bald 3 days after my second treatment.

Cut your hair off BEFORE your first treatmen. The treatment itself drastically changes the texture and healthy look of your hair - dries it out alot (skin too - get a good moisturizer).

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
tousled1

I had A/C every 3 weeks and my hair began to fall out in about a week and a half. By the second week it was gone.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Marlys

I received A/C x 4 every 3 weeks and started losing my hair on day 13. I cut it off then.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
madubois63

Cut your hair short now. This will give them time to make your wig. It takes about two weeks until it falls out, and you don't want long hair falling out - ugh. When it starts to really fall out, shave it and then use a lint roller (the tape kind) to get the last few nubs. Sounds weird, but it works. How quickly can your wig be made??? I have a synthetic wig and it is gorgeous. No one knows it's a wig. I have fooled some very close friends and family. It's very easy to care for. Since it is summer, ALWAYS carry a bandana with you. Wigs can be really hot when you are first getting used to them. Also, It can get really cold at night so find a light cap for sleeping. If no one has told you, the hair on your head is not the first to go...hmmmm. Also, your eyebrows and eye lashes will be the last to fall out. Just when you think they won't fall out...they do. But, they do grow back pretty quickly. When wearing a wig, it is important to accent your eyes and never make your hair too perfect. Mess it up a little just so it looks real (which yours will be). Check out the Look Good Feel Better program. They teach important makeup, wig, nail and skin care, and you get to go home with a big box of free makeup (Avon, Clinique, Mary Kay...really good stuff). http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/ Also, check out the Heavenly Hats site. You can get free hats and scarves. A delivery comes in a few days, and I got several designer hats and scarves for free. http://www.heavenlyhats.com/
Good luck. Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Carol.hope

My hair fell out 13 days after the first A/C infusion.

Tryto remember that you are beautiful from the inside, even when you're sick and bald!

- Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
kareneg

Hi Donna,

My hair fell out exactly 2 weeks from the day I started my first treatment. Good luck your in my thought and prayers.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
suzan w

same here, A/C every 2 weeks, hair fell out (on head!) the day after my second treatment. Rest of hair was more gradual...like one day I looked down and..."hey, where'd it go???!!!"
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #12
Lisa

I was on your regimen at first and was told to expect total hair loss on day 14. Damn, if they weren't right. I, too, had long hair and I started really noticing it thinning a few days ealier.

So I called a beautician friend, called my photographer neighbor, took a Xanax with a swig of tequila, poured a small glass of champage,we all saluted my hair and a few minutes later I was bald. The picture of me looking in the mirror after the cut is pricless..

Since then, I've been through another growth, then hair loss, then more growth and now hair loss that will probably not grow back (whole brain radiation). So I've learned to like hats, still don't wear my expensive wigs and go bald mainly. It's been a great experience for the most part because so many people want to talk about their own or family's cancer. It's like I'm a big, walking pink ribbon!

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
Chelee

I was not on your chemo regimen. I had TCH (Taxotere, Carbpotin & Herceptin). But I lost my about day 17. It slowly over days started coming out in small clumps. It pays to cut it early and get it over with.

Good luck to you.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Lisa

Donna,

Keep in mind that you will lose your hair ALL OVER your body. Which is not such a bad thing in the summer!

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
JoyMiller

losing hair

I never did lose all my hair- it doesn't have to happen. I had A/C +Taxol/Herceptin. My onc told me once that the next time he saw me I would have lost my hair- didn't happen. He kept expecting me to show up hairless, but I never did. I ended up losing about 2/3 of my hair and did cut it very short. I had a lot less hair on other parts of my body- mainly eyebrows, eyelashes, legs, and underarms- but never lost all. A nurse I know told me early on that sometimes it doesn't all go and I guess she was right. I would still plan on the wig from your own hair though.
JoyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
dilly

day 16, 17

My hair started coming out in earnest a few days after my second treatment. But it started being itchy and painful a week or so before that. I had it cut short a week or so after my first treatment and it felt much better. Then I had it shaved on day 17 and what a relief! I feels so much better than patchy, itchy hair.

Losing my hair was very traumatic for me. Now, several months later, I can honestly say it's not a big deal. I am used to it, my husband is used to it, and my students are used to my new wig. It's starting to come back in a bit now - and it's itching again.
Dilly

DX 2/13/06 age 39, Stage 1b, Her2+ 3.7, ER+75%, PR+75%, K167 20%, Node Negative, MX0, Grade 3, .8CM IBC with 4.5 cm DCIS, Mastectomy 3/15/06; 4AC/12TH...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
Donna

thanks so, so much!

Thank you all so much for your information. Based on what I read I am going to get my hair cut in advance of chemo (starting this Friday) to preserved the condition of the hair for my wig. I will be giving it my best shot at making it myself. I have made wigs for theater, not the same kind of course, but I think I can pull it off and keep my own hair that way. My hair is sort of my signature, people identify me by my hair. Last night I was found in a theater full of thousands of people because they could find my unique color and length - it's kind of a big deal to me.

Anyway - thanks so very much for your time and consideraiton in answering me - it is most sincerely appreciated!

Love to you all,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote