HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Fontaine

I should be starting my chemo regimen sometime next week--probably 6/15: Herceptin, Taxotere, and Cytoxin. (Second occurence of stage 1 in opposite breast). I'll be going out of town for a conference 6/25 - 7/5.

Since I'll only have had two treatments before I leave, do you think I'll be safe to have most of my hair by the time I return on 7/5, or should I plan to take a wig with me. I just cut my hair way short (although it's very cute and I've gotten lots of compliments) and will be in Phoenix and Tuscon so the cooler I can be, the better.

Any experience or advice welcomed! (Not the kind of meeting I want to do the bald thing with. Too distracting for me and other attendees.)
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Cindy H.

Take a wig just in case!!!! I had chemo May 26th and my hair is falling out now. I'm shaving it tonight. It's so wierd ....but the 4th time for me.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
StephN

There is kind of a "rule of thumb" that it will take about 3 weeks for the hair loss to really kick in. That was the case with me both times.

The reason for this is that it takes about that long for the hair in the follicle to grow to the scalp where it then breaks off. The chemo day harms the protein production in your body and that is why our nails also get weak and more breakable.

Good luck - I think you can just make it without needing a wig, expecially if you have just cut your hair.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
*_Michelle_*

thursday will be chemo # 4 for me.I had to shave my hair day 18 after the first dose.I would suggest you also take a wig just in case.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Lisa

I can't speak to Taxotere, but with Adriamycin, the docs said I'd REALLY notice big hair loss on Day 14 and they were right on the money.

If you know that this particular chemo will cause hair loss, why not shave it now, get used to your wig and wear it in Phoenix?

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 06-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
madubois63

Everyone is different! I lost every follicle of hair within two weeks when I had Adriomycin/Cytoxin five years ago. My hair grew back while on Taxol. After my relapse, I started daily Femara, weekly Herceptin and Taxatere/Carboplaten three weeks out of the month in October. My hair got thin, but I did not loose it all. Weird thing - about three weeks ago, I noticed my hair was getting thicker again and it has gotten longer even though I am still getting everything. I never wore the wig. I ware "newsie" hats with crystal pins and no one ever knew. My favorite hat came from DSW for $12.00. Bring the wig just in case, but there are some great hats out there that look great with suits.

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
Old 06-08-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
*_Lisa_*

I was told that day 19 is when the hair starts to detach, and that is exactly what happened to me with taxotere and epirubicin (basically the same as Adriamycin). On the plus side, you might not have to bring a razor along on your trip because you will be blissfully smooth and hairless everywhere.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #8
mts

I buzzed my hair down to 1 inch on the 12th day in preparation for the "fall-out"; which happened exactly the 16th day after my first treatment. I bought several nice hats and put them over nice scarves that I tied on my head. For me, the scarves really helped in keeping the hat fitting better. Liz Claiborne makes really nice square scarves. My wig was so itchy, and although not cheap, I found that when I laughed or frowned, the darn thing would "ride up".

Have fun with your conference. I too, remained working throughout my chemo and did surprisingly well.

Warmly,

mts