HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 AM   #1
Cheryl

Would anyone be willing to tell me what it is like to do the Taxol once a week for 12 weeks? I am in the middle of my third round of AC and have had a pretty hard time with it. Now, with the Herceptin being added I have to do Tax 12 times once per week instead of 4 times once ever two weeks. They tell me it is a lower dose and no Neulasta. Does this really make it that much more tolerable? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Jo

I did the 12 weekly Taxols - was on trial but didn't get Herceptin. The weekly Taxol was OK - I had aches and pains, sort of flu-y feeling 2/3 days after treatment for about 3 (sometimes 4) days. It was an out of sorts feeling rather than agonising pain. I had neuropathy of toes and a bit on my fingers. Nails go weird, and are still working out their strange colour. I didn't lose any nails though. I didn't have the queasy feeling I had on AC, and also didn't have that horrible everything smells so bad thing. Had no mouth sores. My red counts went low, and I was given Procrit for most of the 12 weeks. I felt tired on and off. Really not too bad, and from everything I've heard I think the weekly is a tad easier to deal with than the 2 or 3 weekly. I have heard that the risk of neuropathy is a bit higher with the weekly, but the chemo nurses will watch for that. Be warned they'll pump you with Benadryl before the first few sessions to prevent allergic reaction - I went out like a light for the first session (which was a double Benadryl dose) and had to fight to keep eyes open for 2nd and 3rd (lesser dose), but after that they stopped the Benadryl. Strange to say the time I was getting Taxol was almost the most relaxing time of my week - I could legitimately sit back for a couple of hours, watch tv or just go blank for a bit. I worked through all the treatment and was quite ready for a bit of a rest at that point! Good luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
jojo

I did weekly Herceptin AND Taxol 12x. Had to take Benadryl for Taxol (standard for everybody) to prevent from possible allergies.A breeze, compared to A/C. Random muscle aches over a few days after Taxol infusion, but didn't need to take anything to manage them. Wasn't hard on the heart as well. Passed the echo everytime during the duration. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Ruth

Cheryl,

I did the 12 weekly Taxol with Herceptin and for me it was MUCH easier to tolerate than the A/C. I got achiness too about 2-3 days after the treatment but it never stopped me from doing activities. I went to soccer games and seemed able to get out more than I was able to with the A/C. I took my pain pill a couple hours before I knew that the achiness would hit and that helped. Even though you are getting a lower dose of taxol at each treatment, you will end up with more taxol at the end point than if you had taken it dose dense or every three weeks. So along with that you may be more likely to develop neuropathy in your fingers and toes. I did but it started to go away after treatment ended. I think for most people the Taxol is easier to tolerate than the A/C. I am happy that you are at the mid point of your A/C...hang in there.
Peace, Ruth
PS..the benadryl knocked me out too and I got the best rest on that day! I didn't have to watch my one year old and two boys...that part wasn't bad at all!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
*_Lor_*

This info. has been very helpful. I also am on my third round of AC and will be getting the Taxol/Herceptin weeklyX12. I also am not looking forward to the last AC. I am so glad to hear that Taxol was easier for some to tolerate. Thanks for the Benedryl warning. I always get very drowsy with just one pill. I better warn my doctor before getting it.

Any one getting Tamoxofin after the Taxol? I am not sure about what I want to do there.

Thanks for all your advice and support. I have not joined any live support groups and rely on this for most of my support and advice. I find that a lot of people do not know much about her2 like the people of this group.