HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
michelemd

Hello!

I have gone through pretty nasty chemo and worked all the way but this is really getting me down.

As I indicated, my liver mets are now huge, breasts a mess, etc. PLUS the hospital found mets on my pelvic bone argghh!! I have been in terrible pain (pelvic bone, right thigh, plus liver region)

I consulted a research Onc (Kevin Knopf). He consulted Dr Wolf at Hopkins via email. They decided Hercpetin was not working. My Onc will start me on Doxil next week. and they hope to get me into a trial if brain mets are stable.

They put me on Oxycontin for pain but its making me sick and only reducing the pain maybe 20%. if that.

Now I cant drive, have to take naps, etc.

Is there any other pain med I can try???

Thanks!!!

MIchele in MD
Old 02-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
al from canada

Michele,
Sorry to hear abour you recent problems.
I would be pleased to discuss pain info with you but discretely. Please e-mail me at al@sentex.net
Al
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
StephN

Sorry to hear about all the pain you are having to deal with.
Have you tried Neurontin? This was a good one for me when I had a lot of pain with the Taxotere and other chemos. I know other people who are not cancer patients who do well on this for long periods of time.
That is my best suggestion.
Would be interested to know what you finally decide on and what works.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Cindi

When I had pain due to hyperthemia radiation (lots of nerve pain) my Onc. perscribed Nuerontin and a Fentanyl Patch. The Fentanyl was the narcotic. I wore the patch for 3 days and then switched to a new one. It was a God Send.

I'll be praying for you and your doctors, in their guidance of your treatment. I am sorry that you have to endure this much pain. The pain can just wear you down. I hope that the Drs. find the right pain med to give you a break.

Oh, I remember when I had to go to E.R. once for reaction to Navelbine, they gave me DILAUDID in my IV. I hadn't slept in 3 days and it knocked down the pain level and I slept for the next 12 hours.

God Bless

Cindi.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #5

I would use a morphine patch if possible. Morphine is "clean" without a lot of admixtures. It might make you a little nauseous but you can use zofran. I don't think nausea is a problem with the patch.