HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Vicki Z

I had a skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in Jan., 2004 and am doing adjuvant treatment. I've noticed recently some twinges or stinging in the reconstructed breast. Is this a normal part of the healing process? I also feel like I have a "thick or lumpy" armpit, which may be just how I'll always feel and will have to get used to. Just wondered if you had these twinges or stinging so many months after your surgery (if applicable). I did a Google search for "twinges/stinging after mastectomy" and found the following that does mention this. Your comments/experiences are appreciated. Thanks, Vicki Z

Common Side Effects of a Lumpectomy or Partial Mastectomy

Generally, you might anticipate some swelling, tenderness and hardness in the surgical site for some time after the surgery. Incisional pain and discomfort also accompany lumpectomy. While this usually subsides, there can be some persistent twinges of discomfort experienced for months after the initial surgery. Patients also describe pulling or stinging sensations at the incision site as they begin to increase their activity. A ridge of healing, remodeling tissue forms along the incision. This ridge can be felt by you and will remain for many months after surgery.

http://breastcancer.uchc.edu/toc/tre.../surgical.html
Old 07-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
lauren

I have had these from the very beginning, and two years later, I still occasionally feel a twinge. Sometimes I have felt itching under the skin. Sometimes I have felt a mild but shooting pain under the skin. This has been the case from the very beginning and I have never thought much of it.

Also, I have a ridge of tissue where the breast used to meld into the surrounding tissue. When I look in the mirror, I can see triangular "pits" over each newly constructed breast where the top of the teardrop used to be. This is present because I am slim and have no significant fat above and around my "breasts".

Hope this helps!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Rozebud

I had a mastectomy and have the same twinges (5 months out). Also, kind of a tightening, that seems to ebb and flow. And lots of extra skin under the armpit and it's all numb. I was also wondering if this is normal so glad to see this post.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
Kristen

Vicki, Where my drain tubes were causes me alot of greif when wearing a bra. I talked to my rad.onc and she said that a plastic surgeon can numb that spot. I haven't had it done yet, so I go without a bra as much as possible. Especially in the heat we've had it itches and is really uncomfortable. Hope this helps. Kristen
Old 07-15-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Lyn

Hi there, I had a radical mastectomy so I know what you are talking about, my surgery was so severe I felt like I had barbed wire around my chest, by coincidence I had a lady surgeon on one of my check ups who knew what I was talking about and she explained that as a result of the surgery nerves are damaged so she prescribed an epelepsy drug called Epelim and it made a big difference to me, I never had epelepsy and I have been taking this drug for years now and if I run out the twinges come back, the thickening you described is numbness from the nerves, some ladies have had it disappear but I am not so lucky. Hope this helps.

Hugs Lyn