HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Ronnie

Considering my great-aunt succumbed to breast cancer over 50 years ago,I feel they have not made great inroads in research. Yes, there are drugs like Herceptin, but all in all......I feel like research spins its wheels slowly. I know that is part and parcel of research - time, which many of us don't have.

My idea of a cure is finding a vaccine that halts cancer and totally eliminating chemo drugs.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:09 AM   #2
Sandy H.

I think Ropnnie is correct. I went to a BC seminar a few months ago (a small seminar presented by a local oncologist)and was told that BC drugs had not changed that much in the past 50 years. The way they are being giving have changed such as dose dense etc. and different combos. I think that was interesting as much as we donate to research and all the publicity we read and hear I thought it would be more encouraging. Please forgive me if I am speaking out of turn but I believe its all about money and a business. I am prepared to get stomped on for making this clain. God bless you all. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-08-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Christine

Just thought I'd give you my insight on the slow process in cancer research. To all cancer victims, research and clinical trial results are not often available in our time of need. But thinking back, most cancer patients are living longer with good quality lives. Leukemia, colon,lung,liver,pancreatic ca has come a long way; and as for breast cancer, herceptin has been a God-send , as her2neu gene has already evolved into clinical trials for a future vaccine. Vccines and anti-angiogenic chemos are very promising. Unforunately all takes time according to FDA guidlines. Iam confident that if a cure was in sight, a press release would be repoted and trials would begin on the FAST-TRACK. Until then, we are grateful for having Herceptin on your side, and living examples of progress in recent bio-tech research. We look forward to more.... HUGS & well wishes....Christine