HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2004, 04:42 AM   #1
eleanor

Hi Kelly,
I do, but I don't know what it is. Nothing shows up on any scans and it tends to come and go. But the pain is a sharp one, like bone pain. Is this what you have?
el
Old 01-29-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Steph N.

I had/have the same thing. Area of pain located on right back lower ribs. Was so painful to touch that my onc was very worried even tho he could not feel any lumps or anything unusual. Scan was negative.
I had taxol/navelbine, and this was about one year after I finished some 7 months of treatment. Still bothers me at times. Was decided to be musculo/skeletal trouble.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
Trudy

I have been taking Femara since December, 2002
and just recently developed rib pain on the
left side. I don't know what it is due to and
wonder, if others have the same story.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
kelly

thank you so much for just reassuring me and giving me hope. sometimes i just need to know that others have felt the same pains that i have and i know that i am never alone and not without pople who understand. thank you! hugs to all!!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #5
Leigh

Hi ,i too sometimes get a sharpe pain in my ribs on the left.Bone scans are clear.My dr said it could be due to the radiation that i had on that side 3yrs ago.
Cuddles Leigh
Old 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM   #6
Paula

Hi, Ladies!
I have been struggling for the last two months with rib pain, too. It seems like it's always something (whine, whine). My onc did bloodwork and said it was all good. The pain on my left side (bc on right) goes through to my back just between/below my shoulder blades. I don't know what liver pain feels like or it that is the area you would feel it. But, it is comforting to know others are feeling the "rib pain" too -- we are a special group that knowing others share our pain. This website is so precious. God bless. Love and blessings, Paula
Old 01-30-2004, 04:51 AM   #7
Steph N.

Kelly wrote: "sometimes i just need to know that others have felt the same pains that i have and i know that i am never alone and not without pople who understand"

Yes, that IS the great thing about this board - you put in a question and do not have to wait for your doc or nurse to get back to you! Someone "out there" heard you.
I did not have much pain with my MAJOR liver mets - just the big tumor that was being stubborn that was around my main hepatic vein. That place was not in the area of the severe rib pain.
Just to be safe - ALWAYS get a new ache or pain checked out ASAP, because if we wait we could be in big trouble. My oncologist tells me to never hesitate to report something new and get in to see him. He KNOWS the power of the cancer we are up against and takes every complaint seriously. He shares my joy in giving me good news when a test is negative. A really great doctor, I have.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Joannie

Hi All:
I just had a bc tumor marker test about 3 weeks ago and the results came back fine. That test never seems to be enough for me to believe that I'm ok. I know it's not foolproof and some docs don't even believe in doing them. I hope that I will get some confidence afterwards, but that never seems to be the case. Shortly after the test, I have begun to have sporatic rib pain on the right side. It comes and goes and daily but isn't constant. Could this mean something??? I know gals have said that bone cancer is a constant pain, but can it start out like this? I was diagnosed with BC in April of 2003, 1 node positive, er/pr - and her2 3+. I had a double mastectomy, four founds of AC and four rounds of taxol. Any input would be appreciated. Living with all the uncertainty is certainly a daily struggle and I know you ladies know that very well. Thanks for your input,
Joannie

Old 08-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Cathy W

Does it feel like it could be under your ribs? That might be activity in your pleura. I had pain on my right side for 5 months before I found a lump below my collar bone and they sent me for CT's with contrast. It turned out to be mets.
Demand a CT with contrast. If it's negative that's great. It's better than worrying about it.
Cathy
Old 08-29-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Esther

My onc. tells me to check with him over anything that remains for more than one week. I'd check it out. It's probably nothing....but you'll feel better knowing for sure.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #11
Lisa

I agree, get a CT scan. Could be so many things. Unfortunately, one is liver mets. The liver is located under the bottom area of the right ribs. Another sign to watch for in liver mets is pain under your back right shoulder blade. But, like I said, this pain could be so many things, most innocent. Check it out.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #12
Patty H

My Dr. also told me, that anything that last over two weeks needs to be checked. Patty H
Old 08-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #13
Lisa

After hearing about my recurrence to liver/bones, I went on-line searching for info. I believe the site was Web M.D., but I'm not certain. My neighbor, an R.N., gave me her password to enter. There, the very first item listed for liver mets symptoms, was the "under the right shoulder blade" pain. Since I'd had that pain off-and-on for months, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Having been there, I would most definitely ask for a CT scan of the liver. A shoulder x-ray is certainly not the same thing as a CT scan of the liver. I PRAY I'm wrong, but please check it out.

Let us know.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #14
Cathy W

The reason I said to DEMAND a CT with contrast is because I went to my PC and told her about my pain in October. She ordered a CT without contrast and it didn't show a thing. Also an X-ray of my chest didn't show anything, but I was loaded! My 2nd opinion dr. at Dana Farber said I'd probably had mets to my bones for "awhile" (about 3 years) before my lump in my breast was picked up by mammogram!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 AM   #15
carlye

Hi Lisa,
I have had pain in my right back shoulder blade for about a month, but it comes and goes! I told my doc and he x-rayed my shoulder and it came out clean. I have never heard that is a sign of liver mets!! Could you tell me more?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #16
Lisa S.

I had something weird happen to me once. I was in excruciating pain. I mean the kind that knocks the wind out of you! It was a constant, unrelenting pain directly over my liver area, right side by the ribs. I couldn't get any relief! I finally went to the doctor and I was convinced he'd tell me I had recurred to the liver. He wasn't as convinced, and sent me for a CT of the abdomen. Came back OK. I think it was within a day some spots came out on my skin and when the doc looked at them, he said I had SHINGLES!!!! How cruel and wicked for them to come right on my liver area of all places. Shingles is no joke, that pain was horrific! I think it was from all the stress I was going through being that it was 2 days after Sept 11, 2001. Just goes to show you even though we are breast cancer survivors doesn't mean we still can't get all the other medical problems that are unrelated to breast cancer. Unfortunately we always have to be sure it's not the cancer so our lives will always consist of scanning and waiting....
Lisa