HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
StephN

Wink Flax Oil with Lignan

Barlean's Organic Lignan Flaxseed Oil
Lignans are a highly studied and researched class of plant chemical (phytochemical) and a form of insoluble fiber that have recently come to the forefront of nutritional research. Compelling studies funded by the National Cancer Institute have shown that lignans may possess impressive preventative properties. Research has established that the amount of lignans present in human blood samples is directly related to the amount of lignan rich producing foods consumed. When flaxseed was compared to other lignan rich producing foods, it was found to have 200-800 times more lignan precursors. By using the Barlean's Bio-Electron process the flax particulates (high in lignan precursors) is retained in the oil, offering nature's richest source of these valuable plant chemicals.

Hi Everyone -
I have been following the flax oil/seed - estrogen +/- discussion.
For 2 years I have been buying Barlean's flax oil with lignan. I am not pushing a certain brand, but know of this one that is also organic.
Some here have said there is NO lignan in the OIL - but here it is!
The back label with the contents list says: "Lignans (SDG) 4 - 11 mg"

I am not sure about the 4 -11 mg part - if that depends on how many caps you take in a day or what. The blurb above also states "high in lignan precursers" which I would like to know more about. (They have a contact to ask questions on the web site.) They suggest from 3 to 9 caps per day and I never take more than 2. I know some of you take the oil by tablespoonful and/or eat the ground seeds. We were using the ground on cereal in the morning and other uses for time to time, but have gotten in the habit of taking the capsules.

My hormone receptors are both negative, and I was post-menopausal when the cancer was diagnosed. Even so I still don't like to press my luck with too many phytoestrogens, as we have learned that tumors can change hormone AND HER2 status as new ones may arise. Not sure how true that is for post-menopausal patients??, but have heard of it.

This post is meant as informational to those wanting some lignans in oil form.
After reading about other foods high in lignans, I find that I eat a good amount of those as seasons permit. Been picking blueberries and now raspberries off our own bushes lately. Look forward to them every year! Forunately there are enough for us and all the birds that hang around here.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 07-08-2006 at 09:48 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Barbara H.

Hi Steph,
I also grind the flax seed on my cereal. It's interesting that you mentioned the possibility of ER neg turning positive. I still don't understand how I could have cancer through out the nodes in my body, in addition to the liver and lungs. The bones were the only place it was detected. Fast forward 1 1/2 years and I am NED everywhere but the bones. How could Herceptin alone wipe it out everywhere and allow it to pop up in the bones? I understand how that works in the brain, but not in the bones. I asked my oncologist if he thought maybe it had morphed to ER positive. He said I would need a biopsy which is no fun and my mets are extremely small. I certainly don't want a needle poked into the bone. He also said that a lot is unknown about the relationship between ER- and +, but that estrogen could still play a role; more research needs to be done.

Lucky you, I wish I had rasberry and blueberry bushes in my yard. I have been going to the farmers' markets up here in NH and getting them.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
RobinP

Flaxseed only in moderation at best

Interestingly, research has proven that phytoestrogens, such as those found in flaxseed, have both estrogenic and antiestrogenic activity. The predominant active components in phtoestrogens are phytochemicals, isoflavones. Isoflavones have both beneficial and adverse effects on the breast tissue in ways that are not yet completely understood. Thus, for those at risk for bc,moderation of isofavones are necessary.

the up side of flaxseed:
reduces cholestrol, shortens the menstral cycle, contains ligands which MAY reduce hormonally stimulated cancers.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
al from Canada

Faxseed and its oils is also very rich in Omega 9 F.A., shown to have a high level of synergy with herceptin.

great article Steph,
Al
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
TSund

bringing up an old thread. Has it been proven that phytoestrogens are bad for ER+ cancer? Is there merit to the theory that the phytoestrogens, while mildly estrogenic, may block the really strong (bad) estrogens and thus do more good than harm in an ER+ or ER - cancer?
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
R.B.

Thanks for your post Steph.

There was a nag at the back of my mind that I had seen some oils containing lignans, but I did not have time to check it out and felt somebody researching the subject was likely on balance to be right.

Some lignans are fat soluble according to a web search eg. sesamin and sesamoin (what ever they do or are) found in sesame.

I have not as yet found out if the relevant oestrogen "mimick" lignans in flax are soluble which is the question.

The oil itself does not contain the insoluble lignans. It is the other things that get into the oil as part of the pressing process - so I suppose it depend how well it is filtered - which depends on whether you want the product there or not.

So as usual as many questions as answers. We would need an analysis of the type of lignans found in the oil and if the were in suspension or solution.

This is a good article

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...102372160/pg_5

This is an abstract from the http://www.barleans.com/flaxoil.asp

"What are Lignans?

Lignans are a highly studied and researched class of plant phytonutrients most abundantly found in flaxseed that have recently come to the forefront of nutritional research. Numerous studies have reported on the role of lignans in support of the structure and function of heart and hormonal health.* Barlean's Fresh ExPressed™ extraction process gently liberates delicate Omega-3 flax oil, while capturing lignan flaxseed particulate."

Another site said

http://www.jitinc.com/flax/nutrient.html

Lignans
Flax seed is by far the highest food in lignans, special antioxidants documented to protect against cancer, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes and other ailments. Antioxidants help to avert damage done by free radicals, molecular particles that zoom around inside the body seeking a missing electron. A typical antioxidant provides an electron to a free radical which ends its wild, damaging quest.

Flax seed has 100 times the lignan content of the next best food source. There are a total of 27 anti-cancer agents in flaxseed, mostly lignans.

(NOTE: When flax oil is expelled from the seed, most of the lignans are retained in the fiber, not in the oil.)

Some of the lignans are phytoestrogens. The low level of these natural compounds provided by flax seed can help balance female hormones and reduce PMS and other disturbances, without becoming a problem themselves.

http://www.flaxhealth.com/nutritionalcomponents.htm

Lignans

"Lignans are phytoestrogens - compounds found in plants that have weak estrogen activity in animals. [Other common phytoestrogens include isoflavonoids such as daidzein and genistein found in soybeans, some other beans, seeds and whole grain products.10] The richest source of lignans is flaxseed, which contains high levels of the lignan precursor secoisolariciresinol diglycoside (SDG). Lignans are also widely distributed in the plant kingdom, being present in small amounts in most unrefined grains such as barley, buckwheat, millet, and oats; legumes such as soybeans; and some vegetables. Lignans are not present in appreciable amounts in flaxseed oil.

The flaxseed lignan prescursor SDG is converted by gut bacteria to the main lignans found in humans and other mammals - enterodiol and enterolactone. (Enterodiol and enterolactone are called animal or mammalian lignans to distinguish them from SDG and other plant lignan precursors.) The concentration of enterodiol and enterolactone in urine is related to the concentration of plant lignans in the diet - large intakes of plant lignans result in large amounts of enterodiol and enterolactone excreted in the urine of rats and humans.11 Populations with high fibre diets and high intakes of phytoestrogens such as lignans, tend to have lower rates of hormone-dependent cancers such as breast cancer than Western populations with low fibre intakes.12 Lignans are believed to protect against hormone-sensitive cancers by inhibiting certain enzymes involved in hormone metabolism, reducing the availability of estrogen and interfering with tumour cell growth.13"
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote