HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Good News for the most part BUT a bit scary too........

Hi All,

Well I had my PET/CT scan Saturday morning. This afternoon my radiation onc. called to tell me that my body showed no cancer HOWEVER there was a "suspicious lymph node" under my LEFT arm. My breast cancer was right side. Had ONE microscopic cell in 1st sent. node (right side) second node was clear. That side was fine. I did have my left breast removed March of 2006 because of "suspicious calcifications" in left breast. Stereotactic biopsy said benign and after left breast mastectomy and pathology all was "clear" No cancer in left breast at all. So.............it all sounds a bit wierd.

So, now the PET/CT is being digitally sent to Froedtert where my "team" exists. They will look at it and see what they think and possibly node biopsy will be in order. My surgeon's nurse said "You should be rejoicing in the good news that your body was clear AND be mildly cautious with the suspicious node." She said it would be "a very unlikely place for recurrence and with the left breast having no cancer it would be strange." She also said "once you've had cancer ANYTHING suspicious will be looked at." She too is a breast cancer survivor so UNDERSTANDS the journey.

She said my surgeon will be calling me back this afternoon yet with the, what next, step.

I am very optimistic............not nearly as fearful as I thought I'd be and happy (kind of) I had the PET. If it is nothing I TOTALLY understand now why they don't encourage scans looking for cancer. The false positives aren't a fun experience. HOWEVER, God forbid it is anything, I am thankful I had it and that is all that is found.

I'll keep you posted.

God Bless each of you with His peace,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads