HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
julierene

Herceptin only works in half of HER2+++?

Did I hear that right?! Herceptin only works half the time in HER2+++ patients?? I know I'm on borrowed time, but I had such high hope for Herceptin.
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Lisa

the stats I know are different. For about 1/3 of us with HER2 pos cancers, Herceptin doesn't do the trick. Combining it with a chemo does help those for whom Herceptin works.

My onc said, when asked, that Herceptin has greatly increased the length of time for Her2 survivors.

So, don't worry. Do all you can and keep up the positive thoughts.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
julierene

I was told about a 3rd get a complete response, another 3rd get a partial response, and the last 3rd don't respond to the treatment. I've felt better since the treatment, I just hope the pain that subsides a few days after treatment, is necrosis pain. I get real sore after the treatments in the tumor locations, and then I start to feel better right before the next treatment. But on the whole, I am moving much much better since I started a month ago. So I feel good about that. Seeing some progress gives me hope.
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
al from Canada

cocktails are the best

This information is based upon single entity administration of herceptin. The real benefit of this drug is when given with chemo. As well, there has been great results in herceptin + lapatinib administration. The desire for her2 receptors to off-load onto her1 receptors probably accounts for that 30% you mention. That's why there is research into multi-targetted therapies such as herceptin + lapatinib or iressa or tarveca; and herceptin + avastin; herceptin + faslodex; etc.

Don't be discouraged, just find out what works for you and go for it.

Cheers,
Al
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

I think that since a great majority of Herceptin recipients are on this Forum it is an indication of what percentage benefit by it. I have been on it for over 4 years and in 98 pre Herceptin days I was given a checkout time of about 2-3 years tops. My caner in the beginning was described as a very fast moving agressive cancer and I have been on continual chemo with herceptin plus a truck load of radiaiton, each flare up is downgraded and mutated, this last bout I am treating I have had in my remaining breast since January last year so jut over 12 months, the first one I discovered lump in the April and I was on death's door by July. When I asked my onc yesterday about the stats in Australia of Herceptin, I am on the list of the first 30+ and there are a few before me still kicking. I intend to be around for at least another 40years, I am 51 young now so that won't be to bad an innings since my mum turns 86 this month and is as healthy and fit as a bull. Numbers are OK if you are using them as a guidline but don't bet your house on them. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote