HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Lolly

Katie Lynn,

Here's a link to an informative web page if you decide to pursue getting Herceptin off protocol.

I know some have been able to do this, although I don't know if any have been Stage I. You may have to shop around for an oncologist willing to do this for you, and I don't know what the insurance implications are.

If I remember right, I was told that 3-4% of patients on Herceptin have developed heart problems, usually related to recent treatment with Adriamycin. If one does develop decreased heart function, it's now known that suspending Herceptin for a while usually allows the heart to recover, and in some cases patients have been put back on Herceptin.

Regarding you question above, I don't think it's known exactly what causes cells to become resistant to Herceptin, although there is research being done on that puzzel, and I don't know if using it now will increase the odds of it not working for you if you need it later.

Hope this is helpful, and best wishes to you as you search for information. You are right to investigate your options now, as so much is in development. Keep an eye on the Her2 vaccine trials, as that is a very promising angle of attact against recurrence.

Love, Lolly