HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Jen

The Gerson Therapy

http://gerson.org/gerpress/the-gerson-therapy/

A friend of mine told me about this years ago. I told Mom about it. Has anyone here every tried it? SPOILER ALERT: It gives new meaning to the phrase "how do you take your coffee? <--that was MY ATTEMPT @ humor. BTW Sheila does LOVE her coffee maybe we should give this a try!! Any thoughts or opinons are welcome I just wanna save my Mom. Love, Jennifer
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
StephN

Re: The Gerson Therapy

Dear Jen -
I know you would do anything to find a miracle now.
You might ask Sheila what she thinks of such an idea. I don't think she ever replied to any discussions here on that subject, but I bet she knows about it already.

Here is a link to a recent discussion about Gerson on this forum:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=gerson

We have had other members bring up Gerson in the past.

Hugs to you and your Jazzie. I hope Jaz can go visit her grandma.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
europa

Jen,
When I got diagnosed a friend of mine that is very much into the raw diet movement and nutrition told me about this diet. If you are looking for alternatives, check this out. Before starting chemo I was doing it and noticed that I was no longer bloated (which I always was prior to being diagnosed). My mom also has do a version (plus turmeric and ginger daily) of it as she has bad arthritis in her hands and the improvement is incredible.
http://www.budwigcenter.com/anti-cancer-diet.php
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
NEDenise

Jen,
I'm not a Gerson therapy fan...but your joke made me laugh.
A sense of humor can be a very important weapon in your arsenal during trying times. I know it's kept me going.
Prayers for you and your Mom continue
With love,
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Jen

I am glad I could make you laugh Denise.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Mtngrl

I'm not just "not a fan" of Gerson. Following this "therapy" can be fatal.

"The appeal to detoxification resonates with many people for some reason, although there is no scientific evidence to back up the claims that we need detoxification, that commercial agriculture is especially poisonous compared to organic food, or that coffee enemas do anything more than cause electrolyte imbalance and dehydration. Furthermore, none of the proponents of detoxification by enema identify any specific toxins removed by the process. You'd think at least one advocate would analyze at least one specimen and identify at least one toxin found." http://www.skepdic.com/gersontherapy.html

Jen, I am praying for you and your mom. I am so, so sorry you are going through this.

Cancer sucks.

4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Mary Jo

Not a clue what Gerson is. Only posting to give Jen a cyber hug filled with love.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
chrisy

Also not a fan of Gerson as an alternative therapy, but I usually take the position that if cant hurt and might help...

In your moms case, I'd be concerned about "taking her coffee" that way because of her history of low platelets.

I agree with Steph, your moms a smart cookie, I value her opinion and it may help you to hear her thoughts.

Hang in there sweetie.

Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Jen

Thank you everyone for the input and thank you for your love and support.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
'lizbeth

I read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. An analysis of cancer occurrence, diet and lifestyle in China.

The jist is that the highest cancer rates were correlated with the highest intake of animal proteins. Liver cancer - give up animal protein and peanut butter (due to the toxins in the mold causing liver cancer, animal proteins supported growth).

I've seen studies that said drinking coffee black helps to prevent breast cancer. Yep, you can take your Starbucks in a more traditional manner, lmao!

Many of the success stories with cancer that I have seen have been folks that juiced or went vegan. Mom was right - eat your vegetables!

Drink green tea, exercise on a daily basis to the highest level you can for your health level. Louise Hay suggested positive affirmations - that most cancer patients or survivors struggled with resentment. Learning to love and support yourself, surrounding yourself with people that love and support you too - sounds wonderful to me.

If you can, try massage therapy and also be in a good support group.

Be determined to live the longest, healthiest, highest quality of life - because you deserve it!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
tricia keegan

Sorry Jen but doubt this works but holding you all in my prayers and thinking of your Mom at this time xx
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Paula O

Jen,

It was great to get the Facebook update and hear that Stephanie had a nice chat on the phone with your Mom! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I don't know if this is of interest to you and Sheila or not, but since you inquired about Gerson, here's a link you guys might want to consider if you are still taking a look at other alternative medicine cancer therapies as a possible option:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cancerworld...aunch-day.html
Thursday, October 31st at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT -
Kris Carr and Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez.

Friday, November 1st at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT -
Dr. Francisco Contreras and Dr. Leigh Erin Connealy.

Saturday, November 2nd at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT -
Dr. Keith Scott Mumby and Nick Ortner.

Sunday, November 3rd at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT -
Mike Adams and Chris Wark.

Monday, November 4th at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT -
Howard Strauss and Jess Ainscough.

I am sharing this here for you and others to take or leave as each one feels is best for themselves. My guess is that the majority of folks trying alternative medicine have already tried conventional medicine first. I know there are BOTH positive and negative reports on all these folks and their treatments, just a few clicks away and shows like "Prime Time Live" and others have covered this topic many times over. If you are still considering alternative therapy, you might want to check the library for "Outsmart your cancer" and a title something like (but I do't think I'm saying it exactly right) "Cancer treatment outside the box". You can see parts of the movie "Healing Cancer From the Inside Out"free online. It's an overview of many alt therapies and grim statistics on conventional cancer treatment. If you like the looks of the trailer I would be willing to loan you my copy if you want to see it, just PM me.

Please understand that I am not reccomending any of these courses of treatment to anyone but do believe we each have the right to research different options and decide what is the wisest choice for ourselves, ***no matter what anyone else might think.*** You've shared that Sheila's oncologist has nothing left to offer and she is on Hospice. Perhaps there will be something helpful you guys or somebody here can use, perhaps not but it's there if anyone wants to take a look at it.

The Gerson Therapy was extremely intense and did not work for me when I tried it before conventional therapy. Sheph posted the link about this past discussion Although I felt like a million bucks after detoxing, I was monitoring with an ultrasound and the cancer was growing so I stopped and went to my Plan B which is most people's Plan A: a mastectomy, chemo, radiation, Herceptin, and Tamoxifen. I did personally speak to other patients with breast and other types of cancer who THRIVED on Gerson Therapy and I've also spoken to others on the phone, in person, and by email who tried different alternative cancer medicine therapies which were successful , more since the writing of that post in the link. I see no reason for them to lie to me about how well they were doing--they certainly had nothing to prove to me. I spoke to folks who said they had repeat biopsies and scans confirming their NED or stable status after using alternative medicine and I'm thrilled for them--wish I had those results too but am thankful that conventional medicine seems to be working well for me thusfar.
A close friend of mine had surgery for ovarian cancer but decided against chemo and is doing Gerson Therapy instead. She is doing fantastic a couple years post diagnosis to the amazement of her oncologist who monitors her tumor markers regularly--she's had a couple negative scans since too. I never did talk to anyone doing it who was Her2 positive however. I've spoken with family members whose loved ones with cancer did NOT survive despite treatment (both conventional and alternative). Some had an improvement in their quality of life in their remaining time, some did not. My opinion is that both conventional and alternative cancer treatments have success stories and poor outcomes...including the patients who do every last thing available to try with both approaches. It seems that cancer kills a lot of people no matter what they do or don't do. Nobody wants to go down any futile, expensive roads that don't work. How I wish we could discover the root causes of cancer and address those and find a real cure that would work for everybody!

Here is one more resource that you might find helpful as you sift through options: http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/. I do not know her other than a few email contacts but Annie is very helpful, is involved with Project Lead and the NBCC, is interested in evidence based research, and can be contacted directly via that website if Sheila wants to share her situation with her and get her input/opinion.

I wish you guys the very best,

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote