HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
KristinSchwick

Neuropathy, Shingles or pinched nerve

I need some input, I have a small spot on the sole of my rt foot where it is extremely sensitive to the touch, it is numb, pins and needles, stabbing pain all the above but the area is only 1 inch by 3 inches.
Sadly, I'd like it to turn out to be shingles (something other than cancer), but I've had it for almost 2 weeks now and still no rash or blisters. I started neurontin for the pain, but its still keeps me limping and cringing with pain. Sleep is a problem, but I'm getting just enough to function.
I have no problems on the opposite foot, hands or anywhere else. This came on 2 weeks after my 3rd infusion of Kadcyla (aka, the good week). It hasn't gotten worse with my 4th infusion. It doesn't sound like a Kadcyla induced neuropathy, it sounds like Shingles. My onc. thought it could also be the result of a tumor pressing on the sciatic nerve, but I have no sciaticia pains up and down my leg, just this one spot on my foot.

What do you all think? Anyone have similar experience?
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Cat

Re: Neuropathy, Shingles or pinched nerve

You don't have to have leg pain to have sciatica further down your leg but I don't know about such a small spot. Where on your sole is it? Could it be a plantar fascsitis, usually toward the heel? I do know I've had some sharp pains that sound similiar but only last 5-10 seconds and don't happen every day. I have chalked those up to kadcyla. And I do have some numbness in the tips of my fingers and balls of my feet that doesn't go away and is left from previous treatment tho I think increased slightly now. I can understand your difficulty dealing with this since it is constant. In the meantime try elevating your feet at night I don't know if it would help but if it does and you can get some sleep that would be good.
Maybe someone whose had kadcyla already would have better input.
Sending lots of good thoughts your way.
Cathy
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
9/08 recurrance 4 sternal nodes
mediastinoscopy, able to remove 3
taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, x6
continue herceptin indefinately
5/10 recurrance in same node/area
mediastinoscopy, removed nodes
added tykerb
27 rads
10/18/10 PET shows inflammation no active disease
8/2011 recurrence one right mediastinal node, xeloda and proton radiation to node.
D/C xeloda due to toxicity
12/5 PET scan clear
2/2012 colon blockage, breast cancer
(never thought it could go there! thought I was constipated)
start abraxane, herceptin, continue tykerb
10/2012 Kidney ablation (renal CA!)
3/2013 CT and biopsy R kidney (BC met to R kidney)
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
7/30/13 Craniotomy cerebellar mets, 1.7cm 3cm
Sept 4-6 post op cyberknife
Sept 23 ablation right kidney (blow up pesky breast ca met)
Oct headaches MRI Oct 10 (only surgical changes ! Yay!)
Short of breath. CT, pulmonary function, echo
New crap in right lung heart good. Pooh!
12/13 DC kadcyla. Begin halaven
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
4/3/14 CT mostly stable but breast mets r kidney growing
4/16/14 ablation right kidney again
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Well that sucks . . .

From your description it sounds closer to a pinched nerve. Do you see any difference in the structure of the right foot compared to the left?

Did anything happen to the right foot 2 weeks ago that slipped your mind?

I'd be off to the acupuncturist by now - I can't do without sleep!

Have your tried a massage? Not on the spot that hurts, but above the pain. A massage would reduce the overall level of pain in the body, and could help you sleep better too.

Good luck, sorry about your pain.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: poor grammer
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
LeahM

I once had a plantar wart growing inside my foot. Very small area, very painful, with kind of a "hole" in the center. Even the podiatrist didn't know what it was till it went to the lab. He lasered it off. Weirdest thing was, 6 months later my husband had the same thing. Maybe its that? Totally unrelated to cancer.
Best
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
CarolineC

Kristin,

Interesting.

I was at the doctor today mentioning how my right foot is hurting on the top-I don't know if it's because it looks like I'm getting a bunion or a pinched nerve. It's been hurting for months now (like someone has stomped on it) off and on and last night was hurting so badly with waves of pain and today....nothing.

The doctor suggested an x-ray to see if there's a possible fracture but I had a sternal met that didn't show on an x-ray so I don't know how helpful that would be. I do remember the foot hurting alot last year when I had chemo.

I've been wearing orthotics for about a year now and that has helped my feet feel supported, so I'm thinking maybe I should get the right orthotic adjusted because my feet changed somehow from the chemo. What about seeing a podiatrist?

Caroline
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
sassy

Have you ever had an injury to that lower leg, ankle or foot? Perhaps if so, it is nerve damage that has been exacerbated by your treatments.

I broke my leg 17 years ago, with a fracture that extended through my ankle. Now the only trouble I have with it is in the bottom of my foot that will hurt, go completely numb, or have pins and needles, sometime because of the position of my foot, and other times for reasons I can't discern.

I hope you find the answer--and your problem is totally unrelated to cancer!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Lani

Question Re: Neuropathy, Shingles or pinched nerve

Is the pain under your arch toward the heel (plantar fasciitis) or under the area that hurts when you wear high-heels (metatarsal heads) and if so, is it between your 3rd and 4th toes, This could be stress fractures or metatarsalgia if it is the former or due to a Morton's neuroma if the latter. The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
www.aofas.org/‎ have board certified orthopaedic surgeons who specialize in feet. They are MDs whereas podiatrists (who call their organization the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons) are not. As AOFAS members have to be board certified in all of orthopaedic surgery they will know how to differentiate a pinched nerve from these other problems and if unsure can send you for an EMG with nerve conduction velocity test.

By the way, a Morton's neuroma is a misnomer. It is not a benign tumor of the nerve, but scarring of the nerve.

Hope this helps!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
NEDenise

Okay...what follows is my strongly held opinion (because that's the only kind I have) based solely on experience and my gut (because I have no medical training)

One - I definitely don't think it's related to cancer. And it's not like any neuropathy I've ever heard of either. So we can take a collective deep breath and set that aside.

Two - both my mom and my husband have had shingles and it's not subtle - if you had shingles for two weeks you'd be in agony. My mom actually had to take morphine for the pain. And... I think shingles almost always shows up on the torso.

Three - The possibilities Lani posted sound like the most likely suspects to me. And I double, triple, and quadruple agree that you should get it checked out by an MD who specializes in feet... and SOON!
I suspect, my young friend, that you have put up with so much for so long that your "when to call the doctor meter" is overloaded.
No amount of pain is normal or acceptable!
You deserve relief!
And, sister... as the mother of a toddler...you NEED your sleep!

In the meantime, do anti-inflammatories, like advil give you any relief? If they do, I would take that as evidence that something in there is pinched or swollen.

And most important of all...
Kristen, I'm so sorry you have even one more thing to deal with.
It sucks, it's not fair, and it makes me wonder just what God is planning.
I wish once in a while he'd do things our way...
You know, the way where nice people like us get a break!
Sending prayers and love to Iowa!
Denise
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
KristinSchwick

Thank you all for your kind words and advice- in response to your suggestions, I have asked my oncologist for a MRI of my pelvis (per his idea) to see if it is the cancer or a pinched nerve. Hopefully it is neither. But recent observations make me think it is a pinched nerve from a bone met. I do have alot of bone mets on that side of my body, pelvis, femur, spine and tailbone. I have pelvic bone pain from time to time too. The more active walking or chasing after my son I am, the less intense the pain (or maybe I just learn to ignore it). So that is why I think now think the MRI is a good idea.

I do have to take a narcotic of some sort- either tylenol with codeine or dilaudid (which makes me sick the next day). So shingles sounds like a possibility but still no rash anywhere yet. I wonder if the appearance of the rash is delayed in patients with anti-her-2 therapy. I say this because Her-2 is also highly expressed in the epithelia, aka skin and could interfere with the shingles virus creating the classic rash of the skin. Just a crazy idea.

I suggested meeting with a podiatrist to my oncologist and he wasn't on board with that idea- thinking that this is more of a cancer/chemo thing. But if it turns out that cancer and chemo are not the culprit, I'll look into a podiatrist for sure.
Thanks again,
Kristin
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
tricia keegan

I'm seeing my Dr tomorrow for suspected plantar fascsitis, and your symptoms sound a lot like mine, my brother in law has this too and also has identical symptoms so hoping for nothing more sinister than this although it IS painful!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
'lizbeth

I'm glad that you are going for the MRI, that should solve the mystery about the "pinched nerve".

NEDenise is right, your "when to call the doctor" meter was overloaded. We can count on Denise to make us all laugh.

Your little guy is so cute.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
snolan

Could also be a mortons neuroma.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
KristinSchwick

Saw a chiropractor, some relief. Going to see a podiatrist in 2 weeks to see about the morton's neuroma (chiro recommended it too!). Good arch support helps so maybe it is just plantar fascitis or some other inflammed soft tissue. Thanks for all your suggestions and taking the time to read my post.
Kristin
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
SoCalGal

I definitely have a similar thing but it did not last as long. I continued to go dancing, which actually made it better. Just trying to recall what triggered mine to start but the pain was more skin-like meaning I also was thinking its like I have shingles but on my left foot arch. Was definitely nerve/skin pain but it resolved in about 5 days. In general I have random weird skin stuff on my hands and feet which I attribute to vitamin h plus PERJETA now. The fact that it improves with blood flow and exercise (chasing after your son) sounds like a weird skin side effect and not cancer. That's MY non medical gut feeling! Chase more. Rest less. FIGHT!!!! Xoxo
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
Lani

Why see a podiatrist--who is not an MD and doesn't go to medical school--when you can see an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle. They are trained to differentiate whether the pain is coming from a pinched nerve in your back, a strangled nerve behind your ankle, neuropathy or a neuroma. If necessary they can order a test called an EMG with nerve conduction velocity to help sort those possibilities out if it is unclear on physical examination.

A podiatrist will not have had the training to make the same determination.

A list of those orthopaedic surgeons specializing in the foot and ankle can probably be found by looking at the website or calling the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society--not to be confused with call their the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, which is what the podiatrists call their organization.

Would you go to an optometrist(not an MD) if you had an ocular melanoma?
I think you would go to an opthalmologist (MD). Why should it be different here?

My two cents.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
KristinSchwick

The pain in my foot turned out to be in fact caused by the cancer in my sacrum and lower back- odd?!?! right? Yep, 10 doses of radiation later, my foot doesn't hurt and I'm back to walking and hopefully someday jogging too. Thanks ladies!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
'lizbeth

That is good news that you discovered the cause and found relief.

I would suspect that you have more than one area of compression in the nerve that goes to the previously painful area on your foot. The cancer pressing closer to the nerve root was the final straw.

Good luck with your treatment switch, may it nip the bones mets in the bud, and put your sacrum back to NED> or should I say 'may it nip the bone mets in the butt!"
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #18
NEDenise

Yay, Kristin!
What a relief! Mentally and physically!
You go girl! Enjoy the new pain-free walking/jogging!
Sending love and prayers...
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote