HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Remember Paul Cacciatore ?

Paul currently is involved with Ovarian Cancer and as is his style..has a very creditable website:

Libby's H*O*P*E

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
StephN

Cool Re: Remember Paul Cacciatore ?

Yes, in the early days of this web site he used to write LONG posts. They may be lost since the transfer of this website to new formats from the simpler "list" version we had at the beginning.

We were not sure why he was so interested in breast cancer, particularly HER2, but he spent a lot of time giving us his 2 dollars' worth. Glad he landed on his feet in another worthwhile endeavor.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Joe
Webmaster

Re: Remember Paul Cacciatore ?

Paul's mother had HER2 breast cancer. Although she was only stage I at the time she did develop liver mets and is now in complete remission.

Paul had a cousin that died of ovarian cancer.

If you do a search on "Paul" and go towards the end of the lists, his posts are still there.

Regards
Joe

My Album
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
libbyshope

Joe & StephN,

Thank you for the kind words. Joe is correct, my mother is a Stage IV
HER-2 breast cancer survivor, who has been in remission for about 4 years. My website, Libby's H*O*P*E*, is dedicated to my 26 year old cousin -- Elizabeth Remick -- who died from ovarian cancer in July 2008.

StephN, you're correct, I posted a lot early in the "early days" of the HER2Support Group. After watching the good work performed by Joe & Christine, I thought ovarian cancer survivors and their families could use some support. Everything that I learned from Joe & Christine has helped me with my own website.

I just wanted to stop by and thank Joe for the post and hyperlink to Libby's H*O*P*E*. If you know anyone with ovarian cancer, please send them to the website and I'll be happy to assist them. Take care, keep educating, and keep the faith! Best, Paul
libbyshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Joe
Webmaster

Paul,
Don't be a stranger.

Regards
Joe

My Album
Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Chelee

Last Monday while waiting for a chemo chair I was chatting with a women that had battled bc twice, thyroid cancer once, and also ovarian cancer. This is her 2nd round with bc and it's Her2 this time. I then gave her the Her2support website which she seemed to appreciate. We got to talking about "trusted" websites when your trying to learn all you can about your type of cancer. That's when she mentioned that the Her2 board I talked so higly of sounded just like one of her favorite boards called "Libby's H*O*P*E*". (It really is a small world...isn't it.)

So Paul must be doing something right. From now on I will pass his website on to any other women I run across that may need it. I took a look at it Paul...great job! Looks like you have put alot of hard work into it...very current and up to date. Very nice layout which makes it easy to find what your searching for. Keep up the good work.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
libbyshope

Dear Joe & Chelee,

Joe: I certainly won't be a stranger. Hopefully, I can periodically post information from my feeds regarding HER2 positive breast cancer.

Chelee: Thank you so much for the kind words. It means a lot to me. If Libby read your post, she would be looking down upon you with a smile on her face. It is nice to know that Libby's H*O*P*E* is making inroads with survivors and their families and is viewed as a helpful & current source of information. Needless to say, I had great teachers in Joe & Christine. I believe that the website offers something for everyone, regardless of experience level.

Again, thank you for sharing the story about your friend with me. What a small world! Huh? All the best.
"Libby's H*O*P*E*" (Facebook Cause)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Karen Wheel

Thank you for sharing ---
I saw Pauls last name and said - wow! I understand something in Italian! It actually means "hunter" in Italian... same spelling even --- so maybe Paul already knows, but thats my little UBI for the day! :-)
See - after 3 years I am finally learning Italian! However, the chemo didn't help me any! :-)
Hee hee- Karen
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
libbyshope

Ciao Karen,

È piacevole per sentire da lei. La Sardegna è un posto bellissimo. Sono felice di sentire che si sta facendo bene. Quanto tempo hai vissuto in Italia? Vorrei scrivere in italiano prima che altri ti arrabbiare. Si prega di perdonare i miei errori grammaticali. E 'stato un lungo tempo.

Now, if I did not tell you that my mom is 100% Irish, she would literally kill me ... especially with St. Patrick's Day looming. For the non-Italian speakers, Cacciatore does in fact mean "hunter" in English. As you know, "caccia" in Italian means "hunt" and the Italian suffix "tore" is like the English "er" suffix. Similarly, "pescatore" means "fisherman" in English.

So much for the Italian lession! At some point, you must tell us how you ended up in beautiful Sardinia. Being Sicilian of course, I should point out that Sardinia is the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea after Sicily!

In any event, congrats on your "N.E.D." status. Can it get any better than living in Sardinia and being N.E.D.? The Italians would call that "paradiso!" Take care and keep studying that Italian! Cordiali saluti, Paolo
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Karen Wheel

Paul - That is awesome! I even understood it written in Italian! I am learning! :-) I have lived here 3 and a half years --- Great story (writing a book about my life here actually but in "poci parole" - few words ) - I stopped a man on the sidewalk in front of the collisium 4 years ago and asked for a photo with me - as I just knew I had to meet him. 8 months later I quit my high powered job in corporate sales, sold my house and moved to Sardegna. And... the rest is history as they say.

I have had a hard time learning Italian - I don't write well at all - only enough to entertain my Italian friends with my mistakes in SMS. ;-) Found the cancer a year ago and dealing with cancer in another language - well, it is hard! It did ramp up my learning curve on Italian though! :-)

Sardegna is a "Green Zone" where people live longer - many more than normal live to be 100 or more. So - yes, it is a wonderful place to be to heal and to live. As I intend to live a long time here in the life I always dreamed of.

I live in SW Sardegna - about 30 minutes inland from the sea, however my man (works for the polizia here) works very close to the sea and we just rented a second house there where he works, so we now spend more than half the week at the sea. I have been seriously taking advantage of it and walking the beach 3-5 times a week. It is an amazing gift - and I really credit living here - and Herceptin - and a strict diet - with my continued health.

I will have to go out and become a fan of your "cause" on FB!
Gotta love those "southern" Italians! :-)
Tanti Auguri!
Karen
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS

Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
libbyshope

Hi Karen,

Many thanks for the reply. Your story is absolutely wonderful. It is fantastic that you picked up and moved to live your dream -- molto coraggioso! It's important for a person to know what they want out of life. When I was growing up, my dad use to say, Chi troppo vuole, nulla stringe. Loosely translated: he that wants too much doesn't catch anything.When you finish your book, be sure to let me know. Who knows, maybe it will be made into a movie like Under the Tuscan Sun (Diane Lane). We'll find you an agent here in LA!

Now, as for your last name, we are going to make you an honorary Italian by changing it to "Wheelini."

I run everyday down at the beach and there is nothing like it. If a person is searching for the divine, all he or she needs to do is watch a sun rise or sunset at the beach.

Please stay in touch through Facebook. It is great to hear about your grand adventure known as "life."

Tanti Auguri! Paul
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Karen Wheel

Too funny! I felt like I was this person who wanted too much - and nothing stuck! However, I did find him - and I moved here to be with him and lucky for us it is really true love. Life is an amazing adventure! And, you are not the first person who has said that I need to try to do our story into a film --- we need more romantic happy ending movies --- and mine will be true (like the Tuscan one!) and I have thought for years now it should be done. We'll see.

I'll ask to be your friend on Facebook! :-) Will pop over there next.

Oh, and went Carlo (Giancarlo) and I get married - probably next year - I'll be Karen Wheelhouse-Boldrini --- so close to Wheelini! :-) I shortened my full name here on Her2.

:-)

Thanks! I'll keep in touch!
Happy hunting!
Karen
8-09 - 30 RADS