HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
Stephanie

Hi--I am new to the board. My mother was orginally diagnosed as ER+/PR+ Her2+++ Stage 3b in 2002. She had chemo and rads that finished up about a year ago, and now the cancer is back in the form of a malignant pleural effusion. There are suspicious spots on her lungs and spine that may or may not be mets, and she's going in for a brain MRI tomorrow. She just started Herceptin/Taxotare/Carboplatin in weekly doses last week.

The reason I am posting is because I have finally convinced her to move from out-of-state to the San Diego area to be near me and the grandkids. She is anxious about getting new docs out here, and I wanted to know if anyone has an oncology group in the San Diego area that they are happy with.

I am tempted to send my mom to UCSD since they are a teaching hospital, but it's quite a commute from where we are, especially for weekly treatments. There are oncology groups in North County San Diego where we live, but I don't know if they'll be as cutting edge as UCSD.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any input on San Diego doctors, especially North County ones. I think the lady who founded this web site lives in Carlsbad--I saw an article in our paper about her--and if someone could tell me how to e-mail her directly, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks so much in advance, and please know my prayers are with each and every one of you.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
Lolly

Hi Stephanie,
I've posted a link to the Membership Registration Page from this site, because even if you don't wish to register the contact information for Christine Druther, the founder of this site, is provided at the end of the form. Also, if you click on the HER2 Support link at the top of the message board, it will take you to the home page which will provide additional links to other pages to the site. One is the Stories Page, and Christine's Story is posted, along with many others. Barbara Bradfield and Ginger Empey are there, two of the longest living survivors of Her2 cancer!
Best wishes to you and your mom,
Lolly
Old 06-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
Rebecca

I am very happy with Dr Michael Kosty, through Scripps clinic. He has an office in Rancho Bernardo 858-487-1800. Very thorough, compassionate and knowledgable...answers all questions patiently.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Linda in Calif

Hi Stephanie: I go to Dr. Peter Riessmann who is located 1 block from Mercy Hospital. (15 S to 8 W to 163 S exit on Washington and you are right there) He is a younger Dr. and very positive about things. He was the one who got me into the clinical trial with Herceptin and I know that Scripps Cancer runs other trials through his office. Hope this helps. Take Care, Linda in La Mesa
Old 06-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
Linda in Calif.

Hi Rebecca: I was interested that you were seeing Dr. Kosty. Dr. Greenway who treated me with Interferon for Basal Cell Skin Cancer suggested I go to him because I have extensive skin cancer and thought he might be able to help me. I was under the impression he was a dermatologist but when I looked at his card I saw he is in Oncology. I elected not to go to him at that time because it is a significant drive from La Mesa where I live. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and make the drive....It's good to know someone who has had dealings with him and thinks he is good. Take Care, Linda
Old 06-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #6
Stephanie

Thank you so much, ladies. The Scripps RB office wouldn't be too bad a drive--my kids' pediatrician is there, so we go there a lot. There's an oncology group in Escondido that I was wondering about that's affiliated with Palomar Hospital. We're in San Marcos, so it'd be easy for chemo, etc. I'm actually going to call Christine this weekend and see what she says. That's good to know that Scripps Clinic is involved in the clinical trials, etc. That'll probably be where we end up.

Thanks again!!!! I appreciate it greatly.