HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Val Pfeiffer

Lightbulb Need your help again for a story I'm writing!!!

Several of you helped me with the story I wrote last year about breast cancer for a local news magazine. I'm writing another story and could use your help again!!

The article I'm writing is for the same local (Wisconsin) news magazine and the topic is alternative and wellness practices for cancer treatment and prevention. This includes alternative medicine topics, eating habits, supplements and any wellness approaches that contribute to cancer prevention. I haven't started this story, so I don't have any preconceived ideas at this point. My preference is to concentrate on what people who have survived cancer or are currently undergoing conventional treatment are doing with alternative approaches to assist them in fighting the disease.

Do any of you have information, articles, websites, etc. that offer information that relates to this topic? What approaches have helped you personally? Do you know any experts that would be good potential interviewees? Last time Joe and Christine hooked me up with a couple excellent research sources and I also quoted Lyn from Australia (who unfortunately is no longer with us). I'd love to include information that I gained from this site in this story too. I'm always willing to keep names confidential.

So that's it--whatever insights you have to offer will be GREATLY appreciated :-)

Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Heart Sutra

Hi Val,
If what you mean by "alternative" is anything other than medically tested and proven by peer review... then..

Having trouble with getting links on this...
try this one
http://skepdic.com/
for definitions of alternative medicine
and this one
http://www.quackwatch.org/

for an idea of what alternative medicine is

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.co...859-1&q=cancer

For James Randi's incredible site exposing frauds and scams from all sources, the link I gave is after searching "cancer" on his site... you might try "alternative medicine"

Good luck on helping the masses away from alternative medicine. Too many people waste valuable time on snake oil cures. You can provide a real service by exposing the scams
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Val Pfeiffer

I need to clarify what I am looking for

I probably need to explain myself better; here are some points of clarification about the information I am seeking:

* By alternative medicine, I mean mainly integrative medicine techniques practiced by MDs. For example, the health system for which I work employs an internist who practices solely integrative medicine out of one of our traditional clinic buildings. Her practice includes such things as acupuncture and recommending healthy approaches to diet and lifestyle (and possibly supplements that are NOT snake oil cures).

* This story will not be about uncovering scams. I don't want to draw attention to that sort of thing, at least not for this story.

* I am seeking information about the healthy approaches that people are taking to COMPLEMENT their traditional treatments, such as exercise, healthy eating, and proven supplements, if they exist. I don't plan to include anything about people who have discarded modern medicine and totally replaced it with something else.

* The focus isn't going to be only on breast cancer, it will be general wellness approaches that can positively impact all cancer patients in general. Since I have more knowledge of breast cancer, that is where my point of reference begins.

I would love to include stories about people who have survived cancer and have used a diet or exercise approach that has had a positive impact on their lives, and maybe even on the success of their treatment. For example, I know that positive attitude has a huge impact on treatment success, but that's hard to prove. But if there is someone out there who wants to tell his or her story, I want to hear it.

I hope this explains my intentions a little bit better; please ask me questions if you need clarification :-)

Thanks!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
VirginiaGirl

Val,
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I tried an alternative chemo last year after initial dx called insulin potentiation therapy (IPT). I went to see an MD at Central Penn Integrative Medicine not far from Lancaster. He has been doing this treatment for a few years now, and his practice was getting busier & busier from it. Although my breast cancer metastasized, a co-worker also had this treatment after a recurrence of colon cancer last year and is still NED. You can google it for info, it will come up both with its own site and on "quack" warning sites. To me, it is an approach that makes sense but has not been studied, clinical trials, etc. I thought I saw where Johns Hopkins was beginning to study it, but have not researched that yet to determine if it's true. There are probably 100+ doctors around the country doing this. If you want more info, let me know. Otherwise, good luck on your article - it is quite an undertaking!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
VirginiaGirl

Or maybe this is more what you had in mind: check out under "articles of interest" the postings on can a Mediterranean diet synergize with/replace herceptin in her2+ bc treatment? (Sorry, I don't know how to make links.) This might make an interesting approach - it certainly got my attention!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote