HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Cheryl

Thank you so much for your responses Laurie and Lauren. So the doctor can administer Herceptin to us without FDA approval now? This was my big fear, that we would have to wait for that since they had only approved it for women with metastasis at this point. Thanks in advance again for your help.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #2

Cheryl

Absolutely you can get herceptin now. Thousands of woment get Herceptin "Off Protcol or Off Label" meaning they are using it outside FDA standards meaning outside the metstatic environment. This is perfectly legal for the doctor to do.

You should not take NO for an answer. If one doctor says no just say 'see ya' and go to the next. It is critical you get Herceptin now and not later.

Don't worry about insurance, they will cover it.

Get Hercepting now!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Fontaine

Why do you think that an insurance company will cover Herceptin for a non-stage IV cancer? My oncologist said they wouldn't approve it the first time I had breast cancer in 2001. Does the 4/26 announcement change the picture? I'm just wondering why you feel so confident that they will cover it.

Thanks so much. This could truly mean a recurrence and possible death or not for me!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
al from canada

I think these are uncharted waters where if you leave the decision-making up to the insurance companies, don't expect any favors. We need to get the onc's and NCI to 100% buy-in and to lobby. Everyone should pack this report under their arm and discuss it with their oncs next visit.
Al
Old 05-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #5

Fontaine,

Personally, I have not heard of a single instance where the insurance denied Herceptin. I am getting it off-protocol and will continue to get it until end of the year for Stage IIA. The insurance company has never questioned anything. I have BCBS.

Please do whatever you can to get Herceptin and don't worry about insurance.