HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Chelee

Advice & help plz...I need a scan.

For the last almost 3 months my upper mid back has been killing me. I've never had upper back pain in my life.

I've also felt like its harder to take a full deep breath in. So of course the more I think of all this I am having alot of anxiety and its making things worse because I can't quit focusing on it. As some of you know I already have comprimised lungs due to my scoliosis. So any difference in my lungs/breathing is noticed.

I went to my onc not quite 2 wks ago and told her about my upper back pain and breathing. I told her I need a PET/CT. She said she can't do that and to go see my primary. (SAY WHAT!!!) I went round and round with her and she flat won't ok a scan. I'm stage IIIA with 5 positive nodes...could NOT have radiation.

I never had problems getting scans before this. I went to my primary doc yesterday which I've had for 30 yrs and I KNEW he would ok a PET/CT. But he said NO too. (I told him this is just the HMO's way of putting pressure on doctors to hold down cost...profit over patient.) I told him I'm worth more to them (HMO) dead then alive. He pretty much agreed with me and said its become more of a business and thats why he wants out now. So he ordered x-rays of my thoracic back which I told him would be useless because of my scoliosis. He said he HAD to do that before "they" (HMO) would let him do anything else.

After I did the x-rays he agreed with me that the x-rays don't show him anything due to my scoliosis, mastectomies, scar tissue, etc. But he said my x-rays will be sent to radiology and that will take about 3 or 4 days and they will blown those up to about 10 times the size to take a look at them. (That doesn't help me in the mean time!) I said THEN can you order a PET/CT for me? He said well it might be difficult since oncology already turned me down. (Are these doctors for real)

I am so stressed and in tears. All these appts and no one will order a scan when I have REAL symptoms. Where going into the Holidays and I can think straight with this hanging over my head. I am so afraid I have lung mets. I thought they had to let you have scans if you have symptoms. My last PET/CT was 7 months ago which were clean. I don't know if I could have mets in that time but I'm really worried. What can I do to MAKE them let me have a PET/CT? When I feel like my breathing is affected its pretty scary. Why are they denying me now...this almost doesn't seem legal. The next one on my list to call is my pulmonary...but if my onc and primary won't help me...why would he.

Anyone have any advice for me on how I can get a PET/CT. I never had a problem getting them before being stage III...I really believe this is all about them saving money and to heck with me. I can't take this much longer...my upper back is killing me. They should be worried when I present with upper back pain and breathing problems...but their not.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote