HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Mtngrl

Thoughts on Emotional Effects

I learned last Friday that I definitely have lung mets. Lung involvement was suspected ever since my diagnosis in 2011, but I only recently developed a big enough lesion to biopsy. It was a shock (though perhaps it shouldn't have been).

The news hit me hard. Now that I've had a few days to process it, I'm feeling much more like my old self, and I've hit on some insights into what was going on with me.

I think my reaction was out of proportion to the magnitude of the threat, and I think I know why. First the "out of proportion" argument: I already know I have metastatic breast cancer. I've had almost two years to come to terms with that. I thought I had done so. This news isn't really news, exactly. It's just confirming what is, and has been. And, objectively, it isn't especially bad news. I feel fine. I have no symptoms. I have no biological indicators of cancer's effects on my body, other than the newfangled technology that shows us pictures of our innards and lets us wonder about what they mean. Yes, I have stage 4 cancer, but I am, in no sense, anywhere near the end. It's just a little bit of progression.

Cancer itself has had no physical effect on me so far. I have no symptoms, no tumor markers, no organs that aren't behaving properly. Treatment has had some negative effects, but not many. That has made it easy for me to push it to the back of my mind and (mostly) live as if I don't have cancer. So there is probably a little denial at work here.

Having my denial punctured is probably one reason I took this so hard. But there's also emotional baggage from my past.

Because of past trauma, I sometimes experience depression, anxiety, and symptoms of PTSD. Fortunately, I have experienced significant emotional healing. Emotionally, I am healthier now than ever, but having life stretch out its foot unexpectedly to trip me like this opens up old wounds. For awhile, I get sucked back down into the vortex.

PTSD is a wound to the limbic brain. That part of the brain is completely nonverbal. Reactions occur instantly, before the neocortex has a chance to process them. The "reptile brain" insures our survival by instantly putting us into "flight or fight" mode. First there's a surge of fear and anxiety--a response to an intuitively-perceived threat. Then then we use the newer part of our brain to tell ourselves stories about what happened and how we feel about it. That is the link between feelings and thoughts, and it's the key to interrupting the continuous emotional cycling that is characteristic of PTSD (and depression).

For me, climbing back up out of the vortex involves three things. One is recognizing that I've been hijacked by my emotions, and making sure I reframe the story I'm telling myself. The second is to share my story and my feelings with others. We grieve in community, and we heal in community. The third thing is to be patient with myself and cut myself some slack. It takes time. Thinking by itself is insufficient to heal an emotional trauma. (As far as I know, it also doesn't speed up physical healing by itself.)

Thank you all for being one of the most important healing communities in my life.

Peace.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
NEDenise

Re: Thoughts on Emotional Effects

Always glad to be in your corner, dear friend!

Can't wait to see you on Saturday!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
roz123

amy...thanks for explaining PSTD -this is the best explanation of what happens in the brain I have read.
im sorry about the progression but glad to read you are feeling good
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
sassy

Amy,

What a great post. Thank you for sharing this information and your thoughts and feelings.

I especially relate to your phase:

"One is recognizing that I've been hijacked by my emotions"

This is probably one of the most difficult self-awareness issues many of have.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
caya

You are a strong Warrior Woman Amy.
A wonderful, insightful post.

May G-d bless you.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Jackie07

Amy,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience on this.

"... recognizing that I've been hijacked by my emotions" is an important step. But the emotion itself still needs processing.

I cried like a baby when I was 22 after having my brand new bicycle stolen in a park - the chain lock was cut and the bicycle was gone. I was living with my Oldest Brother's family in the city near the university back then. Oldest Brother kept telling me: "I'll buy you another one!" But I kept crying because I was paralleling the lost of the bicycle with the recent lost of a 'potential' boy friend. I felt like I'd 'blew it' with the same carelessness ...

That was silly, I know (knew). But the emotion still needed processing ... So I cried, I composed, I eventually got over it. (Though I never did buy another bicycle!)

ps. There is something called 'rational therapy' which says 'thinking' does have some effect on healing ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-09-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Jackie07

The Power of Self-Talk
To make your inner voice a force for success and happiness, says a noted psychologist, substitute accurate, positive thoughts for those false messages of fear.

By Harriet B. Braiker

They say there’s nothing wrong with talking to yourself, but when you start answering back, it’s time to worry. They’re wrong. Talking aloud to yourself in public isn’t a sign of mental health, but holding an internal dialogue is quite normal and very useful.
In fact, inner conversations have a powerful impact on emotional well-being and motivation. Becoming aware of exactly what you are saying to yourself about yourself can help you understand why you react the way you do to events and people in your life. It can also give you a handle on controlling your moods, repeating your successes and short-circuiting your shortcomings.
Positive self-talk can do a lot to give you the confidence that frees you to use your talents to the fullest. If public speaking makes you nervous, use your inner voice to reassure yourself: “You can do it. You’ve done it well before. Why else would the have asked you to do it again?” Behind your nervousness may well be negative thoughts such as: “There are 300 people out there! I’ll never hold their attention.” Since self-talk has a way of becoming self-fulfilling prophecy, uncountered negative thinking can spell trouble. That’s why it’s so important to monitor your inner voice.
But don’t confuse positive self-talk with mindless positive thinking, happy affirmations or, even worse, self-delusion. For example, if I were to tell myself that I’m no good at artistic endeavors, my self-talk would be negative but not flawed. The truth is, I have difficulty drawing a straight line. On the other hand, if I say I can’t do anything right, that would be flawed, overgeneralized thinking. What you want is accurate, logical self-talk. There are times, though, when you start hearing a chorus of negative messages from your inner voice. Then it’s time to correct them by using some of the techniques of cognitive therapy I’ll describe. The key is to recognize the logical flaws and self-sabotaging messages and replace the errors with more rational and appropriate thinking. In high-tech terms, it helps you uncover the bugs in your mental computer (see “10 Cognitive Traps”) and reprogram your mind with better software. Take the case of a 39-year-old mother who has persistent feelings of depression. Her inner voice tells her: “I’m lost. I feel like such a failure. I know I should be more patient with my kids, but they’re such losers. I’ve given up even talking to them. It’s just not fair. My friends’ kids are perfect but mine are a mess and so is my life.” These ruminations are a garbage bag of negatively loaded words and labels (“failure,” “losers); errors in the way she processes information (“My friends’ kids are perfect”); faulty assumptions (“It’s not fair – neither, of course is life), and guilt-inducing expectations (“I should…”).
This mother needs to identify these errors and distortions and develop a more accurate internal dialogue (“I know I’m not a perfect mother, but nobody is perfect. I do the best I can with my kids, and they’re not perfect either. But, if I work on being more patient and communicating better, maybe the problems we’ve been having can worked out”). The revised self-talk improves her mood and motivation, diffuses her anger and directs her toward actions that can address some of her difficulties. This can eventually lead to positive changes in her behavior that will improve her relationship with her family.

Self-Talk Trouble: Three Tip-Offs
Negative self-talk can trip you up any time, but these three common situations are particularly good times to monitor your inner voice for negative thoughts.
When what is happening to you doesn’t jibe with what you expect or predict, flawed self-talk may be the cause. Think of a newly divorced woman who goes to a party expecting men to approach her, with no effort on her part to attract them. When it doesn’t happen, she feels confused, insecure and depressed. If she’d examined her self-talk before the party, she might have realized she was operating on an outmoded idea, “nice women don’t start conversations with strangers, so I should wait for people to come to me.”
It might have been more helpful had her self-talk been more along the lines of “I’m an intelligent, attractive woman. I have plenty of interesting things to talk about. I’ll look for chances to start conversations with the people I meet.”
The next sign that it’s time to check on your self-talk is when you sense in yourself a pattern of negative behavior towards others. For example, a man suspects that he’s falling into a pattern of ignoring orders from his superiors at work, or conveniently “forgetting” meetings he should attend. Listening closely to what he tells himself about his bosses and his work might forestall career stagnation or a firing.
Does he fear his bosses dislike them, envy them – or is he unsure of his own skills? Whatever he hears, it’s time to come up with a more realistic evaluation of what’s happening. He needs to consider his own strengths and figure out the best ways to use them to deal with what’s really bothering him at work and is causing him to avoid dealing with his superiors.
A third signal that it’s time to pay attention to self-talk is a stressful life event or a personal transition of some kind. Because crises often mark turning points, old ways of looking at the world can become obsolete under the new conditions that are changing your life. Take a woman who has been a company’s token woman executive. She’s come to expect not to be listened to or taken seriously by her superiors. If she then moves to an organization that respects women’s abilities and expects them to perform well, she may find that her views about dealing with management need to change – and with them the way she presents herself to others on the job.

Capturing Your Self-Talk
How do you tune into your self-talk to analyze and correct it? Some people seem inherently more aware of their inner conversations than others and have little difficulty mentally “turning up the volume.” One of my patients is notable in this regard. When she was a child, her abusive parents administered both physical punishment and emotional isolation. Now, as an adult, instead of reporting what she’s thinking or feeling the way most people do, the woman self-talks out loud.
In one group session, she answered a question about how she felt after a confrontation with a coworker this way: “Susan [her own name], you don’t have to get your feelings hurt over what this guy did. You’ll be much worse off if you start to cry now, so just keep yourself together.” Susan had apparently learned as a child to rely on her own company and self-talk to comfort her and calm her down. Now accessing it is second nature.
Most people, though, need ways to capture their inner dialogues. There are several techniques that can help. First, at random times throughout the day, ask yourself, “What am I saying to myself right now?” Then, if you can, write down your thoughts along with a few notes about the situation you are in and how you’re feeling. Your goal is to refine your self-talk to make it as accurate as possible. Before you begin, it’s essential to record your self-talk without any censorship.
You can use uncomfortable emotions or moods – such as stress, depression and anxiety – as cues for listening to self-talk. When this happens, identify the feeling as accurately as possible. Then ask yourself, “What was I saying to myself right before I started feelings this way?” or, “What have I been saying to myself since I’ve been feeling this way?”
Situations that you anticipate might be difficult for you are also good times to access your self-talk. Write down a description of the coming event. Then ask yourself, “What am I saying to myself now about the event?” If your thoughts are negative, think how you can use your strengths to turn these disruptive feelings into more positive ones and help make a potentially difficult experience into a success.
It’s useful to compare your self-talk predictions (what you thought would or should happen in a given situation) with what actually took place. If the reality conflicts with your predictions – as it often does when your self-talk is in error – pinpoint where your inner dialogue needs adjustments to fit reality.
You’re bound to have a purely subjective view of your own thoughts. So it’s helpful and often necessary to enlist the help of a sympathetic but objective friend, mate or therapist who is willing to listen, collaborate in the assessment of your experience and help identify the ways your self-talk may be distorted.

Using Your Inner Voice
How you respond to your self-talk makes all the difference. First, remember the positive elements and use them in other situations where your thoughts are negative. For the negative thoughts you’ve uncovered, first identify how they are wrong. Then argue actively with yourself to correct he errors. Construct challenging arguments to your erroneous assumptions and beliefs (“If I’m such an unlikable person, why do my old friends still call me to get together?”).
Next, change your inner dialogue by replacing flawed ways of talking to yourself with better ways. Remember that you’re after accuracy and rationality, not self-hype or excessively positive ideas; such mindless optimism is equally distorted.
Flawed self-talk, by its very nature, is often best captured when you are feeling down on yourself or depressed. Unfortunately, since your bad mood had tilted your thinking this is precisely when you’re least able to be truly objective and rational. So it’s especially valuable at these dark times to adopt the perspective of someone else you feel confident is on your side. Try to look at yourself the way they would and use that perspective to come up with accurate self-talk that fits reality and points you in a new and positive direction.
Since thoughts are fleeting, writing them down as they occur to you will help the process along. Try a triple-column technique to analyze them for errors and construct rational rebuttals: First, divide a sheet of paper into three columns. Then think back to an event that has elicited negative feelings. In the first column, write down your “automatic thoughts” – the samples of uncensored self-talk you’ve gathered.
Next, with the list of flawed thinking as a guide (“10 Cognitive Traps”), scrutinize your thoughts to see if they mirror any of these errors. Note errors in the second column. Last, write a rebuttal for each flawed thought in the third column.
For example, let’s assume you’re upset because you didn’t do as well as you had hoped in a job interview. In the first column, the self-talk you have recorded might read something like, “I always mess important things up this way. I’ll never get that job…. I probably won’t ever get any job. The interviewer just hated me, I could tell. What a bozo I am.”
In the second column you identify various thoughts as errors of over-generalization, or jumping to conclusions, or labeling, and so forth. In the third column, your rational rebuttal might read, “OK, I didn’t do so well in answering a few questions because I was anxious. But I did answer a lot very well.
“Actually, I don’t know the man at all, so I can’t really judge his reaction to me. If I have the opportunity for a second interview, I’ll make sure to add the information I left out. If I don’t, I’ll have learned from the experience and I’ll do better next time.”
This may be a lot of writing, but it’s the best way to get started. You’ll soon be skilled enough to do it in your head without writing it down.

Moving from Talk to Action
The real power of self-talk lies in how it changes behavior. Simply correcting your internal programming will improve your mood, but it won’t do the most important job. The ultimate purpose of examining what is going on inside your head is to change actions that are self-defeating. Thinking correctly does alter your negative moods, but enduring change comes only with modifying your behavior.
If, for example, your self-talk tells you, “I can’t break up this relationship because I can’t stand being alone, even though the relationship is harmful to me,” you’re likely to stay locked in the same unhappy situation. To make your self-talk more accurate, you might say, “I feel anxious about breaking up and facing the idea that I might be alone for awhile. But if I really want to give myself a chance for the kind of relationship that will make me happy, I must let go of the one I’m in.”
Now comes the clincher: To activate the full power of your self-talk, you must follow the path that your new, accurate inner messages point. In the example, you would need to actually terminate your current relationship and, with the aid of further encouraging and supportive self-talk, get back into social situations where you can meet new people and begin forming new relationships.
To find the behavior that goes with your new self-talk, ask yourself these questions: What behavior has my erroneous self-talk generated? How has it hindered me from reaching my goals? What actions does my corrected self-talk suggest? How will my life be better when I change? When and how will I start to change?
Accurate self-talk should enable you to know how your behavior needs to change. And behavior is what counts. As an old proverb advises: “To know but not to act is not to know at all.”

Harriet B. Braiker, Ph.D., is a practicing clinical psychologist in Los Angeles and author of Getting Up When You’re Feeling Down, and The Type E Woman (NAL/Signet, 1987).

The Psychology of Self Talk
The methods described in this article – using self-talk to elevate your moods and change your behavior – have their basis in cognitive therapy. The best-known proponents of talking to yourself are psychiatrist Aaron Beck and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania, who developed cognitive therapy. David Burns popularized the technique for the treatment of depression in his best-seller, Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy.
The guiding tenet of cognitive therapy is that beliefs and thoughts, as represented by your words and assumptions, have the greatest impact on your emotions, behavior and state of mind. So by directly assaulting self-hindering thought, you can profoundly improve your emotional well-being and overall functioning.
In brain-dominance terminology, cognitive therapy is pure left-sided, since it relies on rational, analytical methods. But self-sabotaging self-talk can be attached and corrected from a right-brain perspective as well. Personal Mythology theory provides a symbolic avenue for changing self-talk by focusing on the stories you tell yourself about your place in the world; indeed, about the purpose of life itself.
Contrary to what its name implies, personal mythology does down mean false beliefs. It refers to the sum total of your self-talk statements and how they are integrated into full-blown belief systems. The stories that embody these beliefs – stories derived from larger culture myths – strongly affect how you interpret what happens to you, and therefore how you choose to feel and behave.
Understanding your personal mythology can help you discover how outmoded myths block your personal growth. You learn to revise these myths with new guiding beliefs about who you are, new myths that serve to help you grow toward the goals you seek.
Sam Keen, who writes and conducts seminars on personal mythology (see Psychology Today, December 1988, “The Stories We Live By”), tells us that families create their own myths and rituals just as cultures do. Each member’s place within the family is defined by the stories. But as Keen Points out, the legacy and burden of family myths are not inevitable. Responsibility for them rests on each individual. Unless we become conscious of our personal myths, we risk being dominated by them. We need to reinvent and revise familial stories to fit our changing lives. – H.B.B.

10 Cognitive Traps

1. ALL-OR-NOTHING THINKING: You see things in black-or-white categories. If a situation is anything less than perfect, you see it as a total failure.

2. OVERGENERALIZATION: You see a single event as a never-ending pattern of defeat by using the words always or never when you think about it.

3. MENTAL FILTER: You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively. One word of criticism erases all the praise you’ve received.

4. DISCOUNTING THE POSITIVE: You reject positive experiences by insisting they “don’t count.” If you do a good job, you tell yourself that anyone could have done as well.

5. JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS: You interpret things negatively when there are no facts to support your conclusion. Two common variations are mind-reading (your arbitrarily conclude that someone is reacting negatively to you) and fortune-telling (you assume and predict that things will turn out badly).

6. MAGNIFICATION: You exaggerate the importance of your problems and shortcomings, or you minimize your desirable qualities. This is also called the “binocular trick.”

7. EMOTIONAL REASONING: You assume that your negative emotions reflect the way things really are: “I feel guilty. I must be a rotten person.”

8. “SHOULD” STATEMENTS: You tell yourself that things should be the way you hoped or expected them to be. Many people try to motivate themselves with shoulds and shouldn’ts, as if they had to be punished before they could be expected to do anything.

9. LABELING: This is an extreme form of all-or nothing thinking. Instead of saying “I made a mistake,” you attach a negative label to yourself: “I’m a loser.”

10. PERSONALIZATION AND BLAME: You hold yourself personally responsible for events that aren’t entirely under your control.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-09-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
conomyself

Amy, thank you for this. I believe that "taking charge" of our emotional state is so incredibly important. It has been a huge factor in my cancer journey, with the help of a talented therapist and the occasional xanax!

Thanks for breaking it down so well. I recently had something like this because I am switching cancer centers, and going to the new one brought back the trauma I had from my initial diagnosis. I had a lot of unwarranted anxiety, and three weeks later I'm still working on calming myself.

I agree we have to process our emotions, but I think things get more difficult when we let the emotions run us around too much.

But still I'm sorry about your lung mets -- I'm sure they won't stick around long.

Rachael
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
jacqueline1102

Hello all,

I am very passionate about this thread as I do this for a living. I am a clinical psychologist working in a family medicine residency clinic.

Jackie has quoted the works of Aaron Beck most eloquently. The New Mood Therapy by David Burns, MD is another powerful resource.

Albert Ellis is the psychologist who pioneered Rational Emotive Therapy.

I do believe that having my academic background with the access to clinical resources such as these has been the key to my survivial thus far.

I will pass along the research on stress that is being conducted by the University of Chicago. I have corresponded with these researchers who have examined how when exposed to stress the telemers on the DNA strands change. Whereas this study has been conducted with mice, the trials to human studies needed conducted. Also, there is research on the impact of cortisol on breast cancer survival. The only issue with this study is that participants' cortisol was measured after the cancer diagnosis. It would have been most interesting to know those cortisols levels before diagnosis. I asked my PCP to measure my cortisol levels before my diagnosis by 8 months. I knew something was wrong but could not understand why I was so fatigued. Cortisol levels were high but after much testing and consulting with endo could not figure out why. I guess we now know why.

I have researched this subject at length and would be quite happy to pass along the journal articles. I have access to full journals since I work in a hospital but did not know if it was appropriate to share lengthy passages on this site. But since others have begun this sharing I shall pass along what ever information I can to all of you. Be prepared.

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
jacqueline1102

I have to say, well done, Jackie, for your information and Amy I so sorry to hear about the lungs. I read your blog regularly and find your writing compelling and most genuine. I hope that the TDM-1 smacks the cancer down.

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
dawny

We love you Amy!!!

Dawn xx
Abraxane weekly - 16 weeks
Herceptin every third week
September 26 2011 N.E.D!
Herceptin ongoing
8th Dec 2011 Brain MRI - clear
20th Dec 2011 bone/cat scan clear still NED
April 2012 scans show axillary node lump - ? what to do...
June 2012 Axillary node dissection 1/11 nodes affected, a wide local excision shows DCIS. Now what to do again? Watch and scan 3 monthly
April 2013, two spots in nodes to chest wall, start TDM1 (Kadcycla) as part of clinical trial
July 2013 stable
Oct 2013 progression off TDM-1 (Kadcycla)
Nov 2013 radiation to lymph nodes in sternum
Dec 2013. Mastectomy right side, pathology shows tumour was HER-2 negative, no wonder TDM-1 (Kadcycla) didn’t work!
April 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
August 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
March 2015. NED. On Herceptin only
September 2015 NED on Herceptin only
March 2016. Pulmonary embolism, Clexane injections daily forever. Still NED On Herceptin only
Nov 2016. Bone Mets in ribs - Radiation. Don’t know if bone Mets are er-/pr-/HER2+ or triple negative.
Can’t give self injections on to tablets (Xarelto) for blood clots.
2017 NED - On Herceptin only
2018 NED - On Herceptin only
2019 NED - On Herceptin only
2020 NED - On Herceptin only
2021 NED - On Herceptin only
dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Bunty

Amy, such an eloquent and honest post. You thank this community, but I have to say thanks to you, as you continually inspire me. I find your posts calming and grounded.
Marie xx
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Thank you Amy...!
Thank you Jackie 07...!
Thank you Jackie 1102...!
We're all blessed to have you among us. Your contributions are awesome.

Yes, thinking by itself is insufficient to heal an emotional trauma. I know this well. For me it involves listening to my Inner Voice (which I suppose includes self-talk) and blocking the voice in my head from ruining my day and/or my life.

Tricky.

Open to all suggestions. Still a work in progress.

I do believe, as you likely already know, that what we think is precisely where our bodies' get their marching orders. They are very literal. Have no sense of humor. So I do not say: This or that is killing me, I wish I was dead, I just afraid that -- this or that horrible thing is going to happen (I don't want to give my body any ideas I don't fully support) or anything else totally negative and full of fear.

The voice in our heads is the reptile brain, the primal part of us that is full of ego. It whines, complains, is full of blame and critiques.

My Inner Voice is full of unconditional love and eons of wisdom. It gives me strength, courage and belief in my personal empowerment.

Amy, just want to say I am right here, in your corner, rooting you on. You are so wise, I believe in you and your ability to prevail!

With Love and Light,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 04-10-2013 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: clarification
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Mandamoo

What a wonderful thread.
I am currently working through some very powerful, old emotions that have been hidden for a long time. I am doing this on a very different level. I am finding huge release - physically, I am breathing easier, I am exhausted.
INteresting stuff!
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

What I try to do, so as not to get sucked back up into the vortex, is recognize/become aware that I am being hijacked by my emotions. That acknowledgement is huge for me. Cause I refuse to be ruled by emotions. Or by my constantly re-circulating thoughts that keep returning to my traumatic events.

I try to re-frame the story I've been telling myself. I get that if I don't, I'll remain stuck in playing the role of victim. As Amy says, thinking itself isn't sufficient. So true.

But I can't keep repeating my tired pathetic old story. Which includes my dismay at how any one could be so self-involved and lacking in compassion, so insensitive and cruel -- and the outrage of it all.

I Know that remaining stuck in unfinished business, and the repercussions of that, holds me hostage/keeps me trapped as the perpetual victim. I have learned to see myself as a survivor. I can look at myself in the mirror and like who I see. Only I can set myself free.

Still grieving over the loss of the child that was me. Still grieving over the betrayal of trust. Time to move on I keep telling myself.

I can't undo the past. I CAN consciously be fully present in the moment. I can plan for better tomorrows. That's where joy is.

So I work at replacing old thinking with new. I won't let my thoughts use me! I am determined to use my thoughts to my advantage.

"When you examine the lives of the most influential people who have ever walked among us, you discover one thread that winds through them all. They have been aligned first with their spiritual nature, and only then with their physical selves."

-Albert Einstein

Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.

Does any of this make sense?

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Mtngrl

Mandy--I love your new avatar! That is a great photo.

I try to keep posts brief, because it's exhausting to follow long, long trains of logic. But what I meant by saying that thinking alone doesn't heal us is we have to use all our senses. Techniques like guided imagery, active imagination, communicating with our Inner Child, all involve entering into healing, life-giving narratives. In my experience the most effective ones include sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. Andi's right. It's important how we phrase things, what "instructions" we give our subconscious.

I rely heavily on intellect to power through every obstacle that comes my way. But it's not enough. In order to heal from PTSD we need corrective emotional experiences. In my experience, we can get some of that with journaling, AI, dialoging with the Inner Child, etc. and we should do those things. But we also need to be part of new group narratives--face to face with other human beings.

I'm a theologian, so I tend to gravitate toward religious practices. I am convinced that religious communities and their ways of being together help heal trauma and build new, healthier identities. Of course I mean healthy, functional, life-giving religions and religious communities.

The post was prompted by a visit to my seminary by Rita Nakashima Brock. She is working on a project called Soul Repair, to help returning veterans heal from "moral injury" and return to civilian life. She is Christian, so they are starting with Christian congregations, training people how to help repair souls damaged by war. The amazing thing about that is she is quite opposed to war. I don't see a contradiction. You can work on two levels--to reduce the militarism and state-sponsored violence in the world, and to minister to those most directly affected.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Andrea Barnett Budin

When I meditate, after breathing in, holding on to that life-affirming air and gently blowing it out of my pursed lips, kissing all that is negative within me (mentally and physically) I say goodbye to it all. I focus. Only on my breathing for a good while till I am not chasing thoughts away. Clearing my head.

Then I go to my special place I saw as a 14 year old in the Catskills. I remember it all so vividly. I can HEAR the birds peeping, chirping, trilling all around this heavenly secret place midst the woods. I FEEL the sunshine and see it glistening on this charming still pond. Tall slender trees surrounded it on one side and were reflected perfectly in the mirror of water. I recall kneeling and running my fingers through the water, it was so inviting. I become utterly transported to that place -- including the elation and tranquility that filled me. When I return to The Now, I am refreshed. As if I'd just actually been there once again.

I don't journal. I have been working on a book for the last 10 years. I so want to share my experience and uplift people facing whatever adversity they are being challenged with. And we each have a turn. Even those who appear to be living perfectly normal lives. You find they have lost a child to some illness, they give themselves infusions every Sunday for hours in order not to have their autoimmune disease make them sick every 8 days, they live alone (divorced for 17 years, w/a dghtr who is bipolar and a son who has borderline personality -- the ex husband was/is a drug addict)...

The sense of community Amy refers to is indeed very healing. I find our community therapeutic.

I have found my spiritual core through my cancer journey and it has enriched my life in ways I can't imagine would have opened to me had I not had to seriously face the potential of my own demise, being separated from those I love most deeply, my beloved family.

As I turned inward, I discovered something miraculous. Not the voice that had nurtured and loved me through my childhood trauma, that I had grown apart from but a new voice I came to see as my Inner Voice. My reading (of Dyer, Zucav, Tolle, Myss, Dossey, Wilbur and many more) led me to a fresh perspective.

I now see this entity as my Inner Voice, guided by my Teachers who the wise authors I mentioned. All that I've read has become truly life-altering for me. I found explanations for the things I KNEW yet couldn't find words to explain. Things that felt odd and made me blanch at sharing with others.

That Inner Voice I am speaking of (as opposed to the voice in our head that is mostly primal, reptile brain, our greatest tormentor and full of fear and negativity)
-- my Inner Voice is my Soul or Spirit offering me unconditional love, compassion, kindness , strength, courage and tenacity.

I have come to believe we are not a mind and a body. We are so much more than that. We are each a Soul or Spirit, with a mind and body. And when I remain connected to that fresh identity I feel a joy and serenity that outshines what I felt on that glorious day in the Catskills.

As I align myself with my Higher Self, I feel my Oneness with All That Is. I KNOW that the Universe has my back, if I stay open to its awesome Love and offer my own to All I encounter. I feel the sweetness of The Present Moment, the beauty of Life, from the root of each blade of grass to the towering azure blue of the sky. We're each a part of it All. We are not apart. Not isolated. Not alone. We are never alone. My Spirit walks with me. I KNOW this.

I pray that each of you come to KNOW this as well. That is the purpose of the book I work on so arduously. It is my song. My legacy to my children, my grandchildren (who were not born when I was first dx) and to all that will listen.

I love your Spirit, Amy. I am most impressed by that woman's work on Soul Repair. We are all soldiers in our private wars I think. Militarism and state-sponsored violence in the world often causes me to grieve and yearn. It is the worst kind of soldiering imaginable.

Yesterday I received an email from a friend. It seems an appropriate moment to share this with you... May it delight you and bring you peace and hope.

Jackie Evancho -To Believe

With Love and Light,
Andi