HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
SusanC

Help! Carpol tunnel and when should I feel better?

I was wondering if anyone has developed carpol tunnel as a result of treatment? My onc. says it is from estrogen deprevation and not herception or tamoxifin. What do you ladies think? My fingers are numb, tingly and painful. My wrists hurt all the time. My onc. is suggesting the surgery to relieve the carol tunnel symtoms. Have any of you had this problem?
On another note, do you ever feel like your losing it? I often feel overwhelmed with basic everyday stuff. Hot flashes, then chills, prickly feeling throughout etc.. I finished chemo in January and thought that I would be feeling better by now. Some days are great and then I have several days in a row that I feel like a zombie. Any advice???
Thank you!
Susan
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Chelee

Susan, After completing chemo & then once I was on Femara for about 2 1/2 months I had some serious problems with my wrists & hands. It felt like I had developed carpal tunnel all of a sudden. So I instantly blamed it on the Femara. I dealt with this pain in my wrists for a good 3 months or so and I was shocked as it went away on its own. In my case I do blame it on Femara. I'm not sure about Tamoxifen? But it *may* do the same thing. When we take all these drugs its so hard to tell what is causing the problem? But if this problem with your wrists don't go away in a few months I would see someone about it.

As far as you feeling overwhelmed at times...that is unfortunetly very common once DX with bc. It turns ones world upside down over night...its alot to digest to say the least. The hot flashes, chills and prickly feelings you get are no doubt due to hormonal changes. Some women suffer from them more then others. You said you thought you would be feeling better by now...but it was only in January that you finished. Don't be so hard on yourself...believe me...it takes time before you get to feeling more normal. I promise you...you will get to feeling better...give it a little more time. I know how difficult it is. You've been through alot and so has your body...but it WILL get better, I promise. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
MJo

I've been on Arimidex since June 2006. I have pain in my hands, fingers and arms. I think it is arimidex pain, because it comes and goes.
Give yourself a year to recover from chemo. I've just started feeling normal. Ended chemo June 2006 and Herceptin Nov. 2006. Zombie is a good way to describe how I felt sometimes. I wanted to feel better fast, too. Finally accepted that my body needed time to heal. Be very kind to yourself.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
SusanC

Thank you ladies for your response. I know that it takes time to heal after chemo. Some nights I go to bed at 7:30 and don't get up until 10:00 the next day! I appreciate your support.

Susan Carey
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote