Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
sarah

vaccine more info

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...080915?sp=true

New breast cancer vaccine helps body fight tumors

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:08am EDT
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Researchers who designed one experimental breast cancer vaccine say they have fine-tuned the process and come up with another that they hope will be more effective.
Their new vaccine delivers a cancer-fighting gene into cells, which then produce immune system proteins as well as tumor-destroying cells.
"In our own mind it is a very significant advance because we have put the gene into the cells in the body. The vaccine is produced by your own cells," Wei-Zen Wei of Wayne State University in Detroit, who led the study, said in a telephone interview. "It is made right in your body."
The vaccine eliminated tumors in mice from a type of cancer called HER2 positive cancer, they reported in the journal Cancer Research. HER2-positive cancers account for between 20 percent and 30 percent of breast cancers.
It even worked to eliminate HER2 tumors that had developed resistance to drugs designed to fight them, the said.
The HER2/neu protein is over-expressed, meaning it is over-active, in several tumors including breast, colorectal and ovarian cancer.
Herceptin, also known as trastuzumab, an expensive antibody-based drug made by Genentech Inc, can treat these tumors. But many patients eventually acquire what is known as resistance and the tumors start growing again.
ANTIBODIES AND KILLER T-CELLS
Wei's team made a vaccine using so-called naked DNA from genes that produce the HER2 receptor -- the molecular signal for the breast cancer tumors.
They put this DNA, along with an immune system stimulant, into a ring of genetic material, called a plasmid, from a bacterium.
They used a process called electroporation, which employs an electrical pulse, to force the compound through skin and muscle to immunize mice.
Once in the leg muscles, the genes went to cells, which started producing HER2 receptors that activated antibodies and immune cells called killer T-cells, they reported.
"The immune system goes around the body to look for cancer cells," Wei said.
When they then injected HER2-positive breast tumors into the mice, their bodies eradicated them.
"Both tumor cells that respond to current targeted therapies and those that are resistant to these treatments were eradicated," Wei said. "This may be an answer for women with these tumors who become resistant to the current therapies."
It might even be used to prevent cancer from coming back in women who have been successfully treated using Herceptin or other drugs, she said.
Several groups are working on breast cancer vaccines that target HER2, including Seattle-based Dendreon Corp, which calls its vaccine Neuvenge, and privately held Apthera, whose vaccine is called Neuvax.
Breast cancer is the top cause of cancer death among women worldwide, with 1.3 million new cases diagnosed annually and 465,000 deaths, according to the American Cancer Society.
(Editing by Xavier Briand)
© Thomson Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Rich66

Merci Sarah!

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
hutchibk

here's a very detailed link about the study... all I can say is (all together now) - HURRY, PLEASE!

http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-...in-lab-4864-1/

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Julie2

I am very thrilled to read it, I just emailed the contact person about the clinical trials.

Thanks for posting it.
Julie
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Rich66

There's a trial?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
sarah

Let's hope it's really good and is available soon!
sarah
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Soccermom2006

http://www.med.wayne.edu/immunology/...Pages/wei.html
contact info for Wei who headed up study
Soccermom2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Rich66

The Neuvax variant is for adjuvant according to Apthera. Waiting to hear if met setting was studied.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Julie2

I am just wondering how this vaccine is different from the Her2 DNA vaccine of University of Washington.

Julie
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
fullofbeans

I was passed on the paper today it does sound promising although as usual we all know here that if we were a mouse we would not have to fear cancer..and it unfortunatly does not always convert to results in human..but then again we all know that one day the key will turn the lock and maybe it is that one..

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Mgarr

Just another link, the story was on our local news tonight it sounds like it has some promise. I live nearby Karmanos so will keep up w/ any Clinical trials with a vaccine.

http://www.karmanos.org/view_news.asp?id=521

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
hutchibk

my doc always reminds me that I am not a mouse...

Julie, I may have this wrong, but the difference between them I think is that the U of W trials are with a peptide based vaccine, and this vaccine consists of DNA genes. They just work in different ways on the HER2 receptor. I may have just made an idiot of myself for attempting to distinguish the difference, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. LOL

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Rich66

I'm beginning to envy those damn mice. Hmm. Too much time online.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #14
sarah

Funny Rich!
Is this just for HER2 people or does it work for all tumors?
sarah