HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
kvogler

Emotions out of whack

My surgery is approaching soon and I'm emotional. I finished 6 rounds of chemo beforehand. I don't know if my emotions are fear of the surgery, hormones being out of whack, being tired from chemo or what. Today was a joyless day. Mentally I know I still have things to be thankful for but emotionally, I can't get it together. Starting to wonder if I need some meds to help. Then, now I'm scared of taking anything for fear of messing up treatment or causing a new cancer. How long should I try to see it through before asking for medicinal help? Hoping these blahs will pass naturally. Have any of you taken anything to help with nerves during treatment? If so, what? Any side effects?
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
LoisLane

Re: Emotions out of whack

Hi Kvogler. I am sorry you are having such a hard time right now. I remember well the fear
and anxiety that goes with this stupid diagnosis. I am so glad to hear you are finished your
chemo, that is a big hurdle to get over. As far as medication to help you through this difficult time of course you should see you doctor in this regard. I would think most
women have taken or are still taking an anti-anxiety pill of some sort. I had taken
Ativan for years and it was really important to have that to take the edge off and
give me a feeling of calm so I could face things in a more relaxed manner. You are right
in the middle of treatment now and this is a when we do need some help in coping
at times. I remember when I was in the early stages of treatment I was also afraid
about anything interfering with treatment or causing recurrence. You are very brave
and have done so much already. You need to give yourself a break and ask for some
help from your family physician or oncologist about the anxiety. They will only
prescribe meds that would definitely not interefere with any other medications you
are taking. I am thinking of you dear because I remember four years ago I was
exactly were you were but it does get way better and each hurdle you get over you
look back and will be very proud of yourself. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Ask for help and let them tell you what is ok and what is not. Be where and who you are and ask for what you need. Wherever the fear and anxiety come from doesn't matter so much as that for you to know that it seems to hit us all at the most inopportune time. For me it was having my silly port out. Had it not been for a very wonderful wise friend who went with me, I probably would have never showed up!
There are a lot of wonderful warriors that will pray for you and love you through each step. Be ok with needing help. Sometimes it takes more courage to ask for help than to stand alone.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
conomyself

My therapist specializes in neuro-linguistic programming techniques and early on in my cancer "journey" had me start using this simple and effective technique:

1) Relax the best you can, and think of all of the people who care about you and love you.

2) Take a deep breath, and breathe all of this love into you. As you do this, press your thumb and finger together (I do it on both hands at the same time). Feel the sense of well-being flood your body.

3) Pressing your same thumb and finger together is now your trigger. Any time you do this the sense of well-being will return. The more you do it the stronger it gets. Use it at least once daily.

I have had good results with just this simple technique. Sometimes when wake up at night worrying I can use the trigger and fall back to sleep. I hope you feel better soon. (((Hugs)))

Rachael
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
sarah

Hello Kvogler,
Waves of anxiety, fear have hit us all at times during this journey.
Immediately let your doctor know how you're feeling and ask for something for the anxiety. You may even ask about going on an anti-depression pill for a limited time but that takes time to work whereas an anti-anxiety pill will work quickly. When I had my recurrence, I often took an anti-anxiety pill (I think it was a generic xanax) before tests. it was a white pill with 4 tiny parts to it. I took one part if I was just a little anxious or more if I was extremely anxious. There are also some natural herb pills - in France they are very popular and sometimes I'd take that instead. I was pretty freaked out by my recurrence unlike the first time around.
don't fight it, you don't have to suffer more - in fact I believe strongly that added stress and pain is detrimental so definitely ask for help immediately.
take care
big hug, you'll get through it. Of course you're exhausted from chemo and that doesn't help.
love sarah
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
sassy

Going through everything related to cancer is tough and I would say a large percentage of those who have traveled this journey have needed some type of help getting through the toughest times.

I used Ativan on an as needed basis to help me deal with the toughest times and as importantly to get much needed sleep and rest. I didn't worry about developing an dependency, I could take it and still have my wits about me, but it would take the edge off and helped me feel less anxious and more able to cope.

Please don't hesitate to discuss your feelings and emotions with your doctor.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
kvogler

Thanks for the support. You guys have helped me decide to bring up this topic to my doctor. Where I'm from, the mental side of health is still kinda "hush, hush."
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
KsGal

(hugs) We have to treat the whole body, not just the cancer. Definitely talk to your doctor about it. Meds have helped me a lot with these issues, but I know there are other ways to deal with these things as well. Sending you lots of healing prayers.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
sarah

would you feel more comfortable talking to a female doctor about these issues? A female GP? I've been going to a female GP for about 20 years now ever since I had a pain in my neck (seriously!) and my male GP ignored it until one year (I saw him only once a year) he said oh I see you've been complaining about this for 6 years!!! then he took notice and it was solved but I said to myself, Sarah you idiot, 6 years!!! change doctors now and I did and they were the ones who found my cancer, who listened and acted on what I told them. I decided male doctors think we're all hypochondriacs. So consider having a woman on your team if you don't already. However my lead oncologist is an elderly man and I adore him!
hugs and love
sarah
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
mamacze

kvogler,
I agree with all that is said and ponder, why do we doubt ourselves and our own innate wisdom? You know yourself, you have wisdom from the year of your experience and now the collective wisdom of at least this group. Listen to your body; go to the practitioners you trust and ask for help. Ativan has also helped me but it is not for everyone - see what your doctor recommends. stay with us and let us know how it works out.
XOXO Kim (from CT)

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote