HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
skeetur

Bilat Mastectomy w/ Expanders Done

Had my bilateral mastectomies with expander implants done on Friday 3/2. I'm glad that is over with. I've had 4 major surgeries in the last 2 years plus 2 lumpectomies and didn't need any/much pains meds after any of them but I definitely did need it after this. The pain was really from chest muscles due to the expanders. Not sure how much fill my plastic surgeon put in but I'm far from flat chested. The top of breasts look good but there is wad of skin at the bottom but then again I had that already. One of my surgeries was gastric bypass surgery and a 125 lb weight loss was not kind to my breasts at all.

I got my path report Thursday from breast surgeon. The news couldn't have been any better. Looks like the 2nd lumpectomy did get all the DCIS afterall though one of the margins wasn't wide enough. No more IDC was found after initially lumpectomy. The path from mastectomy showed nothing of interest remaining in that breast. So, it looks like no radiation is indicated (per breast surgeon). My left breast (prophyllactic removal) showed fibrocystic changes and some intraductal hyperplasia. So I'm glad that is gone as well and won't be an issue down the road.

I am so incredibly relieved but very cautiously of course since I've seen early stage women end up with mets surface not too long after.

I finally will see an oncologist now that surgery is done! Appointment is scheduled for 3/19. The invasive component was very small so I'm not sure if I will be getting further treatment or not. The largest of the two areas of IDC was .3 cm (3 mm). I assume oncologist will order a FISH test since my her2/neu was 2.8+ via IHC. Not sure if any treatment would be indicated even if it is + or not. Won't know til I see him.

I want you to know that while I do not post often... you are in my thoughts and prayers. I share in your joys and sorrows. Keep fighting the fight!

Best wishes,

Skeetur (Kathy)
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Kathy! So glad you got all that over with! Whew, so good to finish something, uh??? mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
skeetur

You betcha, Mary Anne!

I was dxed 12/4 after biopsy 12/1 so to FINALLY get the surgery part of this whole thing over with after a very long 3 months feels amazing.

Thanks!
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
jessica

Yeah-Clean path!!

Hey Skeetur~
Glad to hear you're doing well! Great path report- Yeah!
I had my expander swap out & augmentation of my other breast the same last Friday (3/2) too. I hope you are healing as quickly & effortlessly as I am. The Human Body is an amazing thing!
My surgeon filled my expander to 150cc's during the mastectomy. I was told that I'd be lopsided initially, but strangely, since I am(was?) so small breasted, I wasn't lopsided AT ALL! It was a pretty funny-only the surgical side was MUCH higher. I was holding most of the fluid (&saline fill) above the midline of the breast. But with some light massaging, the fluid eventually distributed more evenly.
I think we waited 2 weeks for my first fill, so I had a nice long time to heal. The first fill was 100cc's, then 50, then 50. Then "rested" for 4 weeks, before the swap out last Friday.
I went back to teaching Pilates a week after my mastectomy.I've never had any complications on the L side-after a total of 4 surgeries. No loss of ROM or strength, no edema. I think it's always been very helpful to get moving soon as possible. It was a little strange b/c as I was being expanded, I could feel/hear the saline sloshing around in the underfilled implant. And I had a little seroma on the bottom part of the breast. It looked really weird, but no pain. Everything resolved as expansion/fill process went along.
And the swap out surgery was a piece of cake.
I hope your path of healing goes as well and quick and uneventful as mine!

Hang in there -You're in the Home Stretch!
Take good care & Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
tousled1

Kathy,

Glad your surgery went well. Now all you have to do is take it a little easy and recover quickly. All the best to you
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote