HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Hopeful

Breast Exam

I saw my breast surgeon this morning for my regular bi-annual check-up and exam. She said everything was fine. I have my annual mammogram in April.

Since I have been a patient in their practice, I observed that the doctors in that office perform a clinical breast exam using a different technique than I have experienced when examined by gynecologists. I had not taken the time to ask her about it before, but today I did. I wanted to describe what she does, and see if anyone else here has a doctor perform their exams this way.

Rather than use the method that is taught by the American Cancer Society, which involves pressing flat from above in a small area and going around in circles, she runs her finger tips from the top to the bottom of the breast several times, working her way across the entire surface, and tracing the countour of the breast. She told me that she and her two colleagues, which are from three different age groups, all learned this method at the various places they had studied. She felt that it enabled them to feel something "abnormal" in the breast tissue more easily than the ACS method. She said the ACS method has women (and doctors who use it) feeling the basic "graniness" of the breast tissue, and that it was more difficult using that method to determine what was normal and what was abnormal. She said she and her colleagues are training other doctors in the method they use, and ended by saying that she uses it to perform her own self-exams.

Does anyone else have their breast exams performed using this method?

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Ceesun

yes, I have had it done both ways depending on the doc. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Karen W

The method my surgeon uses sounds like what your onc does. It does seen more effective.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Colleens_Husband

Hopeful:

What a great thread!

Colleen has had breast exams both ways. The ABC method found nothing.

I asked Colleen's oncologist about breast exams, and she said she thought most self-exams are of dubious value which is pretty scary considering the best defense against cancer is early detection. The important thing is that if you are trained properly, most people can detect tumors smaller than 1 cm with a self exam.

The problem with teaching breast self exams are that the exam is a very tactile activity. If you have no idea what a tumor is supposed to feel like, than you could by touching it for years and just assume it was part of normal healthy breast structure. In order to teach something tactile, you need training aids which you can actually feel. That seems pretty obvious.

When I first learned of Colleen's breast cancer, I proposed a training program for local OB/Gyn and High School health education classes in which prosthetic training aids are made in which tumors can be inserted to feel like real breast tumors so that women are trained by sense of touch.

I managed to get approval and sponsorship from Colleen's oncology radiologist, a tentative approval from our HMO, a tentative okay from the school district for a limited trial at our local high school health classes, some beginning talks from a local breast cancer charity about funding and I started exploring manufacturing of the prosthetics. Then....Well, Colleen started chemo and the whole project fell apart.

Apparently I underestimated the time, energy, and emotional commitment to being a caregiver for someone with cancer.

Anyway, I feel that women deserve better training for self-exams than what is generally available and there does seem to be some common sense solutions to the problem.

Lee
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Yorkiegirl

Yes, mine is done both way's.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Hopeful

Lee,

What a great idea - tactile training aids! When you can get round to picking it up again, it sounds patentable to me, and a terrific product.

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful response.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
BonnieR

You are a good man, Lee.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Bill

Wow, Lee, that is a great idea you had/have. There's not enough hours in the day to do everything we want to do. Stay strong, Brother. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Joanne S

Liv The Revolutionary Breast Self-Exam Kit

Liv The Revolutionary Breast Self-Exam Kit
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...823#post156823

Last edited by Joanne S; 03-27-2008 at 07:14 PM..
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
dlaxague

No benefit to BSE

I don't think that there are any good studies that show a benefit to breast self exam (BSE). And there is at least one large study in China that showed no benefit. After that study was published and reviewed, ACS withdrew their recommendation for monthly BSE, although they do still say "Women should know how their breasts normally feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care providers. Breast self-exam (BSE) is an option for women starting in their 20s."

Here's a link to a thorough discussion by NBCC with links to the evidence (or lack thereof): http://tinyurl.com/23alsv

Yes, one can find cancer when doing BSE. But finding cancer in this way does not appear to improve survival.

CBE (clinical breast exam, done by a professional) does not appear to offer any additional benefit over mammography, if both are done.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf/uspsbrca.htm

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Joanne S

BSE – The best defence against breast cancer!

Debbie,

If I had not performed a self breast exam I would not have been diagnosed with BC. The lump I found was beyond the image area of the mammogram by 1/4 - 1/2 inch. It was located at 5 o'clock position, very deep behind the mammory fold, next to the chest wall. Several woman I know, discovered their cancer during BSE.

After I found my cancer through BSE, I have had chemo, surgery, and radiation---all to improve my survival.

Please clarify "Yes, one can find cancer when doing BSE. But finding cancer in this way does not appear to improve survival." ? Why wouldn't it appear to improve my survival?

Additionally your own signature profile on this sites indicates "large axillary node found by my husband"?

---

Debbie, This was a little confusing. You indicated, "CBE (clinical breast exam, done by a professional) does not appear to offer any additional benefit over mammography, if both are done. " However, the Summary of Recommendation of the site you indicated is as follows:
<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 10px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary="This table gives the layout format of the bread crumb area and the center content area." border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
  1. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends screening mammography, with or without clinical breast examination (CBE), every 1-2 years for women aged 40 and older.
  2. The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against routine CBE alone to screen for breast cancer.
  3. The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against teaching or performing routine breast self-examination (BSE).
Release Date: February 2002

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

------------------------------------------

Following is some of the information I found:

Breast cancer can, and does, induce anxiety in women. However, to discount breast self examination as a detection tool because it results in more biopsies or creates temporary stress, or because guidelines are inconsistent, is unconscionable. Women have been “taught” that early detection of smaller tumours is their best chance for survival. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1125608

Regular breast self-exam can help you know how your breasts normally feel and look, so you can notice any changes. When you find a change, you should see your health care provider. Most breast changes or lumps are not cancerous, but only a health care provider can tell you for sure. When breast cancer is found early, you have more treatment choices and a better chance of recovery. National Women's Health Information Center http://www.4woman.gov/faq/bsefaq.htm

An Early Breast Cancer Detection Plan should include:
  • Clinical breast examinations every three years from ages 20-39, then every year thereafter.
  • Monthly breast self-examinations beginning at age 20. Look for any changes in your breasts.
  • Baseline mammogram by the age of 40.
  • Mammogram every one to two years for women 40-49, depending on previous findings.
  • Mammogram every year for women 50 and older.
  • A personal calendar to record your self-exams, mammograms, and doctor appointments.
  • A low-fat diet, regular exercise, and no smoking or drinking.
National Breast Cancer Foundation http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/...ancer-symptoms

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Breast self-examination – The best defence against breast cancer!

Breast self-examination helps in detecting breast cancer early, when it is more treatable and women should check their breasts regularly for any changes in size, shape, lump, tenderness or nipple discharge and consult a healthcare professional, if they find anything unusual with their breasts.
Cancer News Network
http://cancernewsnetwork.blogspot.co...t-defence.html

Early Detection is your Best Protection
Survival rates are as high as 97% when found early. Therefore the importance of early detection through breast self-examination, regular clinical breast exams and periodic mammograms can not be overemphasized.
Breast Cancer Information Center http://awarebse.com/

The FDA has recently approved the Aware BSE kit as an aid in Breast Self Examination. We believe this kit will help make it much easier to conduct BSE each month. It is designed to arm you with the facts, and therefore, remove the fear. The kit also comes with easy illustrations, which will give you the confidence to do it right. Today we know that the best chance of curing cancer is to detect it early.

Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 03-28-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
dlaxague

Good morning Joanne and all,

I'm going to try the copy/paste way of responding to your questions.

Please clarify "Yes, one can find cancer when doing BSE. But finding cancer in this way does not appear to improve survival." ? Why wouldn't it appear to improve my survival?

I don't know the answer to that question, but that is what the studies show. It is not my opinion, it is what the evidence shows (or in this case, doesn't show). It probably has to do with the fact that BSE is finding cancer, not pre-cancer. As we are learning (more each day) survival from cancer probably has much to do with the biology of a particular cancer (which is there from day one) - perhaps more to do with that than with the size of cancer, as was previously thought. This would help to explain why formal BSE does not improve survival.

BSE has a long history of promotion. Shower cards, TV specials, buddy programs, yada yada. For all the effort put into its promotion, you'd think that there'd be some evidence of its importance in saving lives. But there's not. No study has ever shown it to make a difference. Its use was adopted because intuitively it seems like a good thing to do.

In addition, it bothers me that this misinformation about vigilance causes both guilt and complacence. Some will assume, when a woman is diagnosed with a not-early breast cancer, that the woman is at fault for not practicing BSE, or not getting a mammogram. And some women accept this burden of guilt. The other side of that is that those who do regular BSE, get a yearly CBE and mammogram feel that they are safe - that in this way they are guaranteed early detection of their breast cancer.

This evidence is not saying that there's no benefit in feeling a lump and getting it treated. We know that treatment offers us an advantage. It is saying that women who found their lumps by doing a formal regimen of BSE did not fare any better than those whose cancer was found in other ways (mammography, chance notice in the shower, etc). I cannot say why this is so but that's what the evidence says, and that is why even ACS, notoriously slow to act on new information in the past, has stopped promoting BSE as a way to save lives.

Whenever this topic comes up, the comments pour in saying "but Sally found her lump with BSE". Finding a lump (by whatever means) does not necessarily equate with saving a life. I wish fervently that we had better ways of finding breast cancer, or pre-cancer. But right now we do not.

The resources that you posted that still promote BSE are simply sticking to the old party line, because it seems intuitively that it should be true, and because we all naturally want to be able to do something to save lives. It is amazingly difficult to get people to listen to the evidence and to give up promoting this intervention. Those who continue to promote BSE certainly have the best of intentions. But at this time, it appears that they are wasting resources (time and money) and also deceiving women.

You comment that: The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against routine CBE alone to screen for breast cancer.
The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against teaching or performing routine breast self-examination (BSE).

I'd be glad to change my opinion. I'd love it if we could find a way as simple as BSE, to save lives. But I value truth above all, and this is a truth. There is no evidence that practicing BSE improves a woman's chance of survival from breast cancer.

I love these discussions that make us think, and appraise evidence. Thanks for participating.

Debbie Laxague
PS: Yes, my husband found my large axillary node, by chance, during a romantic moment. Not during BSE. But no one could find the breast lump - not the GYN, not the surgeon, not the radiologist nor the mammogram nor the sonogram. Even when they knew that it had to be there. Even breast in hand, after mastectomy, the surgeon could not find the lump. It was found by the pathologist as he dissected the breast.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Joanne S

Yes-BSE can help in BC detection!

Thanks Debbie,

I agree, the copy/paste method of answering questions directly works good.

I disagree with your title: No benefit for BSE.

OK I revised my title:
BSE can help in BC detection!

I repeat, it is unconscionable to discount or not perform BSEs because it results in more biopsies (benigh), creates stress, the guidelines are inconsistent, or studies show there is "insufficent evidence" that's BSEs are a good screening tool.

Perhaps someone will volunteer to set-up a poll on our HER2 member site:
(1) BC/lump found by mammogram
or
(2) BC/lump found by BSE (or by signifant other)
or
(3) BC/lump found by CBE (doctor)
or
(4) BC/ lump detected by another method

I don't think the following Summary of Recommendations (you had posted the link) should have been published. I hate wasting my time reading about research or studies that really lack conclusions or recommendations---There are so many. You know the ones that say “inconclusive” or “insufficient evidence” or “further studies are needed”.

I do not see anything informative nor do I see any benefit from reading this article:

-The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends screening mammography, with or without clinical breast examination(CBE), every 1-2 years for women aged 40 and older.
Debbie, NOTE: This is CBE, not BSE.

-The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against routine CBE alone to screen for breast cancer.

-The USPSTF concludes that the evidence is insufficient to recommend for or against teaching or performing routine breast self-examination (BSE).

I wonder how much research money was wasted on that study.

You indicated:

In addition, it bothers me that this misinformation about vigilance causes both guilt and complacence. Some will assume, when a woman is diagnosed with a not-early breast cancer, that the woman is at fault for not practicing BSE, or not getting a mammogram. And some women accept this burden of guilt. The other side of that is that those who do regular BSE, get a yearly CBE and mammogram feel that they are safe - that in this way they are guaranteed early detection of their breast cancer. *

I agree, not only early detection, but any detection. My mother died from breast cancer in 1996. She had suffered with the most severe back pain for two years before she was diagnosed. I constantly took her to the doctor, emergency room, etc and she had several hospital admissions. She had found a breast lump herself a few years back, but never told anyone because she thought it was a regular o' breast lump, and cancer only happened to other people, not to her. Finally she was diagnosed---terminal Stage 4, breast cancer that had metastasized---with too many tumors to count, in too many organs and in all her bones throughout her body. The pain in her back was intensified by all the bone fractures caused by the tumors. I truly believe that if she had told her doctor about the lump when she found it, it would have been biopsied, diagnosed and treated; and she would have had a much better quality of life her last few years. Perhaps she'd be alive today.....It probably would have increased her survival time! Sadly, she never had a mammogram either.

If I had not performed a very thorough self breast exam, I would have not found my breast lump. It never showed up on any of my annual mammograms (my enlarged lymph nodes in my armpit did). As previously mentioned my breast tumor was beyond the image area of the mammogram. After I had my mastectomies, I was extremely disheartened and disappointed to find out I had more breast tumors that neither showed up on my mammograms (dense breast), CT Scans, nor breast MRI that were performed after my biopsy. The medical professionals I asked all said the same thing---these types of x-rays/scans offer no guarantee* of (accurate) negative results or of detecting existing lumps/cancer---They are merely screening tools.

I understand what you are saying and what the studies you mentioned indicate and infer. I have read numerous research articles and studies related to BC since my diagnosis; and I can honestly say for just about every one of them, I found another one this is a direct contradiction. So I don't put any faith in the “No Benefit to BSE” theory/so-called findings. I don't know what the "evidence" is that you refer to. Sort of, kind of, like in a court of law, if you can't show it or prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, that's not evidence.

BSE has a long history of promotion. Shower cards, TV specials, buddy programs, yada yada. For all the effort put into its promotion, you'd think that there'd be some evidence of its importance in saving lives. But there's not. No study has ever shown it to make a difference. Its use was adopted because intuitively it seems like a good thing to do

Has there been a study to show it doesn't make a difference?

Although your lump was not found during a BSE, it was found by physical manipulation of some sort. (SOE=Significant Other Exam). And as a result of it being found, you had treatment. Do you truly believe this has not increased your survival? Who knows for sure? How can one/you/anyone make a comparison or a confirmation that it has/has not increased your survival?

The resources that you posted that still promote BSE are simply sticking to the old party line, because it seems intuitively that it should be true, and because we all naturally want to be able to do something to save lives. It is amazingly difficult to get people to listen to the evidence and to give up promoting this intervention. Those who continue to promote BSE certainly have the best of intentions. But at this time, it appears that they are wasting resources (time and money) and also deceiving women.

Personally, I would not, will not, take a chance of not doing a BSE! Although I have no breasts, I still perform BSEs---or I should say Chest Self Exams. Tee hee hee.

If you happen to find any more studies related to this topic, please post them. I am glad your husband found “that” lump and that you were able to have treatment, and I wish you continued wellness. You know, your husband would make a better doctor.

Jo

You know when BC research findings indicate you have a 80% chance of surviving x # of years, to me, it's still only a one-out-two chance/ratio or should I say 50/50 chance. If you perform a BSE and there is a lump, you have a 50/50 chance of finding it. If you don't perform a BSE and there is a lump there, you won't find it, but will the mammogram?

Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 03-29-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
dlaxague

Great discussion - thanks, and more to follow

Joanne,

Great discussion. Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I think that I've found someone as long-winded as I am. We're exercising our brains, together, and maybe a few others if anyone else is still listening.

I can't wait to reply, but am off to a "drought-tolerant landscaping" class at the local JC. More later.

I'm going to work at improving the cut/paste thing. I tend to forget which font and size I'm using and since it doesn't show, I have trouble picking the right size or font to contrast. The memory!

Debbie
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
AlaskaAngel

Cool Have fun in class, Deb!

Hi there!

While Debbie is away I will sneak in a comment or two, and maybe a question or two.

As Joanne said, "I hate wasting my time reading about research or studies that really lack conclusions or recommendations---There are so many. You know the ones that say “inconclusive” or “insufficient evidence” or “further studies are needed”. "

I would tend to agree, except that if a worthwhile question is being asked and legitimately researched, the answer is not known in advance and can end up being "inconclusive", etc.

This question is similar to our debate about markers. Is the glass half full or half empty? Those who see the glass as half full will favor doing BSE, and those who see the glass as half empty will favor not doing it.

Speaking intuitively, my question is this: Regardless of the survival issue, would the glass be emptier or fuller if those whose cancers were detected sooner by BSE (or, alternatively, those whose recurrences were detected sooner by marker results) had not been using those methods?

Acknowledging that some with bc "would prefer not to know sooner if there is cancer or recurrence of cancer", and/or prefer not to be constantly dealing with the fear from BSE's or markers (in which case they have the simple option of refusing them), there is the value itself of earlier knowledge, whether or not it changes survival.

I think most of us do want some control over what resources we have for the future, whether it be in terms of how to allocate them to cover treatment, or how to allocate them in behalf of family or friends or causes we believe in. It makes a lot of sense in that case to know sooner, so that one has more control over whether or not to spend the resources in other ways.

For example, if one is trying to decide whether to stick with a job, or to quit it to spend more time in other ways; or whether to take the risk of changing jobs; or even whether to forego further treatment. Those can be highly meaningful, precious decisions that are never counted by the bean counters who find out that the legitimate question that was being asked ended up with inconclusive results.

What makes sense to me doesn't make sense to everybody, but I personally favor the half-full glass (doing the BSE's and the markers), particularly if the procedure used for finding out sooner is relatively inexpensive and does not cause additional risk (such as spendy and toxic radiation procedures).

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Soccermom

Komen uses a tactile breast exam tool complete with lumps in their "Komen on the Go" van which travels to Universities /cities nationawide.
Recently at a Komen Q&A for local bigwigs Docs I proposed starting a program in the schools (High school to start, then Jr High, elem etc) to show young woman proper technique. I BELIEVE that if we make BSE part of our childrens upbringing (like teaching them to brush their teeth) they will immediately notice any changes to their breast tissue. (IF they do it consisently from an early age). Unfortunately, I think that there are still some folks that believe that it is "unclean" to touch oneself and therefore would be unwilling to allow their children to be taught BSE or testicular exam for that matter.

FYI, I am not affiliated w Komen in a professional manner,I just volunteer to attend when they have a function.

Great minds think alike ,Lee!
Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 03-29-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
dlaxague

Hi Joanne and all,

I'm going to start right in with replies to your words:

OK I revised my title:
BSE can help in BC detection!

Okay, I'll go along with that. But detecting is not the same as life-saving. Again, studies that had a group of women who were carefully taught correct BSE did not show that the women who found their bc this way (as opposed to some other way, any other way) lived any longer. IOW, there was no benefit to finding a lump by doing BSE. It boggles my mind that so much effort has been spent promoting something that cannot be shown to be of any benefit. It's not as if they haven't looked at it (which is pretty much the case with CBE - only one study that compared CBE/mammogram with mammogram alone, and found no benefit for CBE). There have been BSE studies and none has been able to show a benefit.

Perhaps someone will volunteer to set-up a poll on our HER2 member site:
(1) BC/lump found by mammogram
or
(2) BC/lump found by BSE (or by signifant other)
or
(3) BC/lump found by CBE (doctor)
or
(4) BC/ lump detected by another method

But wait. What would be the POINT of this? I would almost guarantee you that if you subdivided these questions into another three categories - 1. those with so far a primary diagnosis only; 2. those who have had a recurrence since primary diagnosis; and 3. those who have passed away from their disease
- you'd have a similar distribution of ways of finding the initial cancer. Except of course those who presented at stage IV.

I've had this discussion before, about BSE, CBE, and even mammography, whose benefit is surprisingly small. I'd like to see an ad in the NYT in October. Two main columns. Random names of women living after bc diagnosis, and women who have died of their disease. After each name, method by which their bc was detected. Again, the distribution of ways of detection would be the same.

My point is not so much that BSE and CBE are of no benefit, although it does seem that is the truth. My point, and my reason for opening the discussion, is that to me it is, at best, misleading (at worst, lying) to promote a health care intervention with such fervent hoopla when we cannot prove that it does anyone any good. At LEAST provide that information to women, in the hoopla. TELL them that studies have not shown benefit but that it may be useful to know their breasts and watch for changes. Do not say that "BSE is the best protection". Good GRIEF! We do not have any very good methods to detect breast cancer and we need to say that. Otherwise the message is that breast cancer is all under control and interest in funding research and assistance will dwindle.

And it IS a valid argument that this intervention (BSE) can cause harm. It increases fear (must check every month, constant vigilance). It causes guilt (your fault, you weren't vigilant enough). It causes unnecessary and anxiety-provoking interventions (extensive imaging, biopsies) that carry their own risks. And all this, for no benefit.

[COLOR="Blue"]Although your lump was not found during a BSE, it was found by physical manipulation of some sort. (SOE=Significant Other Exam). And as a result of it being found, you had treatment. Do you truly believe this has not increased your survival?/COLOR]

Yes, since I'm still here, it seems that for me, treatment definitely increased my survival. But the method of detection of my breast cancer had nothing to do with whether I survived or not. If my husband hadn't found it that day, and I had found it the next week, it would have made no difference. At 6 cm, someone would have found it soon, somehow. There is a difference between formal BSE (monthly, formula movements, etc) and incidental detection (random noticing). Noticing, by whatever means, is the beginning of treatment and that's good. But again (broken record), BSE as a formal prescription for noticing does not improve outcome. So why are we wasting all this time, money, and effort on promoting BSE. Wouldn't those resources be better spent on research of better ways of detection, or assisting those already diagnosed?

(I am sorry for what happened to your mother, Joanne - that sounds so hard, but people who note a lump by whatever means and do nothing about it are irrelevant to this discussion - that's a whole 'nother issue. Although I can't let it pass without giving appreciative credit to those brave advocates and reach to recovery volunteers who brought breast cancer out of the closet so long ago.)

Okay, this is getting way too long. As for my providing links to NBCC and the gov't website that noted insufficient evidence - I would agree with you that there's no point to doing that just out of the blue. But I posted that in response to a promotion of an action, and a promotion of a product (that is making money for someone). Showing that something that's recommended has no proof of benefit is a valid (and imho, important) piece of information.

I, too, examine my chest. I examined my breasts when I had them. But these are crude (and it appears, ineffective) ways of stopping death from breast cancer. We need better ways. And we need to be saying so, loudly.

Phew. Thanks again for the discussion. We can agree to disagree, without getting too heated. I admit that I do get heated, when I think that misinformation is being disseminated. I've gone back and re-written some of the above, in an attempt to sound more calm.

So, if you've followed this discussion this far, you must be interested in the science of cancer. Would you be interested in learning more? NBCC had a wonderful program for advocates, called Project LEAD. Check it out at their website: www.stopbreastcancer.org , and apply if you're interested. It's a rich time - you'll learn so much and meet new friends. The program is free, and there is scholarship funding available for those who can't afford the transportation and lodging.

Debbie Laxague