HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Lani

Exclamation SCARY-- Mouse Mammary tumor virus shown present in/rapidly reproducing in humanbreast

in cultured cells, at least--should say spreading, not replicating (as that is the next experiment to be done)

OPEN ACCESS: Rapid spread of mouse mammary tumor virus in cultured human breast cells [Retrovirology]
Background: The role of mouse mammary tumor virus (MMTV) as a causative agent in human breast carcinogenesis has recently been the subject of renewed interest. The proposed model is based on the detection of MMTV sequences in human breast cancer but not in healthy breast tissue. One of the main drawbacks to this model, however, was that until now human cells had not been demonstrated to sustain productive MMTV infection.
Results: Here, we show for the first time the rapid spread of mouse mammary tumor virus, MMTV(GR), in cultured human mammary cells (Hs578T), ultimately leading to the infection of every cell in culture. The replication of the virus was monitored by quantitative PCR, quantitative RT-PCR and immunofluorescence imaging. The infected human cells expressed, upon cultivation with dexamethasone, MMTV structural proteins and released spiked B-type virions, the infectivity of which could be neutralized by anti-MMTV antibody. Replication of the virus was efficiently blocked by an inhibitor of reverse transcription, 3`-azido-3`-deoxythymidine. The human origin of the infected cells was confirmed by determining a number of integration sites hosting the provirus, which were unequivocally identified as human sequences.
Conclusions: Taken together, our results show that human cells can support replication of mouse mammary tumor virus.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
fauxgypsy

Lani, has anyone looked at the efficacy of anti-viral compounds in breast cancer, or any cancer?

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
PinkGirl

Lani, I read a similar article about MMTV being found in human breast tissue.
They are not sure how the virus transfers to humans. This article said that it was more likely from contamination rather than infection. I don't understand that. Hope Tiptoe isn't a carrier.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Lani

contamination rather than infection

means the lab personnel, cleaning crew, etc may have inadvertently contaminated the samples with the virus.This is an old argument which this study refutes...if it was only contamination it would not spread to other cells.

The fine point is that they could show that the cells "support replication" but they have yet to show "functional replication" which is I think what their next experiment will attempt to prove.

Infection seems to have been proven, whether it can sustain itself with functional replication is next on their scientific agenda
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
PinkGirl

Question so..

does anyone know how it transfers to humans? Does that mean we should stay away from mouse do-do in the dark corners of our garages?

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Linda

My onc actually asked me if I'd been "sweeping barns" before my dx, and in fact we did have a mouse infestation in our house (which I cleaned up) the summer before I was dx. My onc clearly thinks that exposure to mouse droppings, etc, could have been the bc trigger ("could" is the operative word here...who knows...) Interesting...
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Hopeful

Here is a link to a news article about this study: http://www.breastcancersource.com/br..._28710___.aspx and the provisional pdf from which the article and the abstract Lani posted above are drawn: http://www.retrovirology.com/content...-4690-4-73.pdf

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Paris

If they think this is true they should do a study of women who work with animals either in stables or zoos. I've spent my life riding horses and working in barns including one at my house but I wouldn't think that's why I got bc. My sister was diagnosed before me and she was not a horse person.
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Lani

Paris

Is your sister her2+?

Thanks for the info,
Lani
Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Paris

Hi Lani,Yes my sister is HER2+ as well as ER/PR+.

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Lani

Paris the following gene has been found to be associated with

her2+ breast cancer, particularly those that are ER+

It is Xlinked and thus inherited from mother to daughter (although it may be involved in a severe immune deficiency when passed on to male children as FOXP3 is important for an immune system component called T regulatory cells)

There is not yet a clinically available test for FOXP3, but if we gather enough families with her2+ breast cancer, perhaps interest could be raised...

FOXP3 gene found to be involved in breast cancer

Medical Research News
Published: Sunday, 29-Jul-2007

Researchers at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center have identified a gene linked to the development of an aggressive form of breast cancer.

The researchers found that the gene, FOXP3*, suppresses tumor growth. FOXP3 is located on the X chromosome, which means a single mutation can effectively silence the gene. This is unusual, as only one other gene linked to cancer has been found on the X chromosome.

When one copy of the FOXP3 gene is silenced, the researchers found in studying mice, 90 percent of the mice spontaneously developed cancerous tumors. The researchers also looked at FOXP3 in human breast tissue cells, comparing cancerous and non-cancerous cells. FOXP3 was found to be either deleted or mutated in a substantial portion of the cancer sample: about 80 percent of the cancer tissues studied did not express the gene at all.

In addition, the researchers found FOXP3 to be a repressor of HER-2, a protein that typically marks a more aggressive form of breast cancer. The researchers believe FOXP3 suppresses the HER-2 gene. HER-2 can be activated by many different factors, but the researchers found that when FOXP3 is normal, it keeps HER-2 levels low; when FOXP3 is missing or mutated, HER-2 levels are likely to rise.

The researchers have shown that FOXP3 was reduced or missing in about 80 percent of the more than 600 cases of breast cancer tissue examined. At this point, the researchers do not know if FOXP3 can predict breast cancer risk, like the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, both of which are linked to a higher risk of breast cancer.

"FOXP3 defects promote cancer development. We do not know whether this is a genetic defect that puts women at higher risk. For treatment, this gene could be quite important, but for diagnosis, it's too early to tell," says study author Yang Liu, Ph.D., deNancrede Professor of Surgery at the U-M Medical School and co-director of the cancer immunology program at the U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center. Results of the study appear in the journal Cell .

Initially, the researchers were studying FOXP3's role in autoimmune disease, when they noticed that female mice with one copy of the mutated form of the gene were developing breast cancer. Moreover, the tumors expressed high levels of ErbB2, the mouse equivalent of HER-2. Breast cancer is rare in mice, and ErbB2-positive breast cancer is even more rare.

"FOXP3 is the first X chromosome-linked gene that suppresses breast cancer and represses the HER-2/ErbB2 oncogene. Given the significant role HER-2 plays in breast cancer and the widespread defects we found on FOXP3, it is likely that this gene play an important role in suppressing breast cancer," says Pan Zheng, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of surgery and pathology at the U-M Medical School.

The research is still in early stages. No predictive or diagnostic test is available involving this gene finding. More than 180,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and 40,900 will die from the disease, according to the American Cancer Society. For information about breast cancer and currently available genetic tests, visit www.mcancer.org or call the U-M Cancer AnswerLine at 800-865-1125.

In addition to Zheng and Liu, U-M study authors were Lizhong Wang, Xing Chang, Huiming Zhang, Weiquan Li, Yan Liu, Yin Wang, Bae Keun Park and Cun-Yu Wang. Additional authors are Tao Zuo, Carl Morrison, Michael W.Y. Chan, Jin-Qing Liu, Chang-gone Liu, Rulong Shen, Xingluo Liu, Tiany Yang, Tim H.-M. Huang, and Richard Love from Ohio State University; and Virginia Godfrey from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Funding for the study was from the National Institutes of Health and U.S. Department of Defense.

The University of Michigan has filed a patent application on this research technology, and is currently looking for a corporate partner to help bring the technology to market.

http://www.med.umich.edu/

*FOXP3 is a member of the forkhead/winged-helix family of transcriptional regulators and functions as the master regulator in the development and function of regulatory T cells.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
SoCalGal

all kidding aside

Lani-I had a rat infestation one year before I had my recurrance, 6 years after initial (her2) BC diagnosis. I found out about the rats under my house, because I was bitten by rat mites and was terribly allergic. At the time, NO ONE else in the house had a single bite - they found me every night. It took a few visits to the dermatologist to finally figure it all out. That would be weird if that is what "triggered" my recurrance. For the record, I have another friend who had a similar problem with mites, and her and her 3 daughters were all getting bites, and Thank Gd none of them have BC.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
StephN

Unhappy Another thread on MOUSE VIRUS

Hi everyone -
we started a discussion on how the prevelance of mice and the possible ways their virus can spread at the beginning of this year. That info sure jerked my chain, so to speak.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=mice+virus

So many of us had not only indirect exposure to mice but very direct exposure.

The story continues ...

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
fauxgypsy

Around 1998-1999 I was involved in research that occasionaly used mice as subjects. Mice hate me. If anyone was bitten it was me. This doesn't include the mice I've had to dispose of when my cats brought them to me or cleaning after the occasional house mouse. I have given all of this a lot of thought simce I first heard of the MMTV. particularly since no one else in my family has a history of breast cancer that I know of.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
fullofbeans

When i think i was doing a good deed by saving that mouse from my cat paws..

However I think that BC is still multifactorial unlike the`MPV.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Paris

Having worked with horses most of my life and with many women in barns I can say that I only know of one other woman besides myself who worked in horse barns that was diagnosed with bc. I've never been in a barn that didn't have mice somewhere whether visible or not. I just don't buy this theory. There are so many women who spend countless hours working in barns and with cats and other animals. I'm just not buying this theory. Sorry gals!

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
Lani

you may be looking into the much too recent history

many risks of breast cancer are found to affect the female child of a mother exposed and there are many exposures in childhood, during puberty etc.

Mouse dropping exposure is ubiquitous. Anyone who picks something off from the floor, even a floor that has never had a mouse run over it...unless in a Japanese household... has probably been exposed to virus shed from mice which was carried in on shoes worn outdoors.

At ASCO, they showed that the incidence of breast cancer was similar with the population distribution of a certain type of rat. Other types of rats supposedly were not affected by MMTV and those other types of rats had a different geographic distribution (Asia, Australia, etc),. That is certainly not evidence of cause and effect.

Perhaps it is the combination of a genetic variation/defect in the patient combined with the MMTV infection.

Noone knows. But I would not look only for macro(large) scopic sources of mouse contamination but also for microscopic ones and much much further back than one or two decades.

When clockface painters who used radioactive paint (and licked their brushes) were found to have higher rates of cancer of the tongue and mouth, it was four or more decades later as I recall. DES exposure effects take two/three/four decades and more to manifest if I remember right.

Just food for thought