HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Jean

Difference?

Hi All,
Can anyone explain to me the difference of Taxol and Docetaxel - are they in the same drug family?

Also - is there anyone who has been on herceptin weekly for their trt - I am on a weekly trt - for 9wks, then will be every 3 weeks, for one yr. I am doing very well with the wkly trt and I am wondering if I should ask my onc. to keep
the herceptin wkly - I almost don't want to rock the boat since it is going very well, I am concerned that the stronger dose of herceptin may bring problems.
Any thoughts?

Thanks All,

Warmly,
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Tom

Taxol vs. taxotere

Hi Jean.

I have provided a link and text below, to a discussion of the differences between the two taxanes you mentioned. As far as weekly vs. 3weekly Herceptin, I have always personally believed that spreading any drug out as evenly as possible would work best and have the least side effects. Therefore my vote is for weekly administration of Herceptin. I hope this helps.

Tom

http://www.lbbc.org/news-detail.asp?news_id=497

Breast Cancer News

Monday, March 06, 2006

Paclitaxel and Docetaxel Work Equally Well

Two taxanes show little difference in effectiveness, even when given on different dosing schedules

By Janine E. Guglielmino, LBBC Staff

Abstract #48, San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium

A clinical trial that used different dosing and timing schedules to compare paclitaxel (brand name: Taxol) to docetaxel (brand name: Taxotere) showed little difference in disease-free survival for women with aggressive, early-stage breast cancer.

This study, presented at the 28th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, sought an answer to the long-standing question of which of these two chemotherapy treatments works more effectively. Both are approved for use after surgery in women with Stage II or Stage III breast cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes. However, no study has ever directly compared the treatments in weekly versus three-week dosing schedules.

What Are Paclitaxel and Docetaxel?

Paclitaxel and docetaxel are taxanes, medications originally derived from the yew tree. They work by slowing down or stopping the cell growth associated with some breast cancers. Taxanes are given in combination with or after other chemotherapy treatments.

Who Participated in the Study?

A total of 4,988 women enrolled in this study between 1999 and 2002. All participants had tumors of 2 centimeters or more with cancer that had either spread to the lymph nodes or was at high risk to do so.

After surgery, all women received four rounds of adriamycin and cytoxan chemotherapy. The women were then randomly assigned to receive one of four treatments: either paclitaxel or docetaxel given weekly for 12 weeks or every third week over 12 weeks. Women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer also received five years or longer of either tamoxifen or, if they were post-menopausal, an aromatase inhibitor. Researchers monitored the women's health for a median of four years or until they experienced a local, regional or distant recurrence, a second and unrelated breast cancer or died for reasons unrelated to breast cancer.

What the Results Showed

Among the four groups, the study showed no significant difference in disease-free survival. That means "doctors and patients will be able to consider side effects, convenience and cost in determining treatment without concern that effectiveness will be compromised," said JoAnn Zujewski, MD, director of breast cancer clinical trials for the National Cancer Institute's cancer therapy evaluation program.

What This Study Means for You

If you are considering a taxane as part of your treatment for early-stage breast cancer, you may want to discuss this study with your doctor. The results show you may be able to receive taxanes either more or less frequently, depending on your health and your schedule. You may also choose the taxane treatment based on associated side effects and feel confident you and your doctor are making the best decision for your long-term health.

Read the abstract.

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
bobbiw

Hi Jean
My onc did give me the option of going every three weeks on Herceptin(because he realizes that it really is a bit of a pain to go in every week for treatment), however way in the beginning he did say that given my very young age (thank you very much I say to him...I am 49...LOL) he would perfer weekly. Weekly doses spread the drug out more evenly over the course of time and hopefully will lessen the chance of heart problems for me. He is also very big in studies and the current studies have used the weekly Herceptin doses. I personally decided to continue weekly doses just because that is what I felt comfortable with.
Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Mgarr

Jean,

I have done Herceptin both ways I have experienced no difference in the dosing. It is just more convenient to go every 3 weeks. I am sure others on the board will chime in as to the effectiveness and if there are any current studies that may show one or the other is best. Go with what you feel if you are happy with weekly stay with it.

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Becky

Hi Jean

There is no difference in the taxanes (ie: taxol vs docetaxel (taxotere) or Abraxane which is the taxol active that is emulsified differently than taxol is).

I had my first 12 Herceptin treatments weekly then switched to the every 3 week. Although there is absolutely no difference now, my first 2 or 3 (every 3 weekers) gave me a bigger headache and I was more tired. But my body got used to it and it is absolutely fine now. Plus, I don't feel tied to the cancer center. Plus I have a job where I have business travel so I never travel out of town during a Herceptin week. When I was on the weekly, I worried I would get stuck out of town due to weather etc and not make it to my treatment.

You should be just fine on the triple dose and really, if not, just switch back. That's what my onc told me.

Kindest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Lolly

Jean, you could talk to your onc about every 2 weeks, which is what I'm on now. It's not very common, but my onc wanted to give me a break this summer after being on weekly for the last 6 months, and it's been very nice only going in every other week. No difference in side effects.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Chelee

As to the herceptin, my oncologist says it doesn't really make a difference and its much more convenient for many people to come in and get the three week dose. But he said he really would prefer to have us do it weekly if we can.

Here he says it doesn't make any difference...but he rather us do it weekly. So to me...that means he does have SOME reason for doing it weekly if his patients will go for it. (I know I do mine weekly...even though it is a pain to go down there that often.)

Chelee
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
al from Canada

Although in a perfect world, a daily herceptin pill would probably maximized effecacy, this doesn't work. Unless I'mm mistaken, the 3 week tx has shown no difference in overall survival ......Also, Abraxane is the the friendly form of taxol as it doesn't need pre-meds, has fewer side effects and cans be given in doses many times stronger than taxol.

Regards,
Al
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Jean

Appreciate your help !

Many thanks to all! You have helped me make a decision. It is so wonderful (in spite of having this disease) to have all of you brilliant and caring people. Life is good!

Warmly,
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote