HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Lani

from the American Society of Breast Diseases meeting

new method to detect cancers, detects small, multiple cancers, helpful in determining whether abnormality seen is in fact cancer, Don't know when it might be coming to a hospital near you, though!

Breast Specific Gamma Imaging Assists Visualization of Breast Tumours: Presented at ASBD [Doctor's Guide]
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — April 19, 2007 — Breast specific gamma imaging, which allows high resolution molecular imaging of the breast, can be a valuable tool to help diagnose unsuspected cancers, with a high level of sensitivity and specificity.
Jean Weigert, MD, radiologist, Mandell and Blau, New Britain, Connecticut, United States, presented these findings here at the 31st Annual Symposium of the American Society of Breast Disease (ASBD).

Dr. Weigert and colleagues enrolled 205 women considered to be high risk for the development of breast cancer, were newly diagnosed with breast cancer, or had inconclusive results on mammography and ultrasound imaging.

Each patient underwent imaging with a dedicated high-resolution breast-specific gamma camera (Dilon 6800) subsequent to an injection with 25.0-30.0mCi 99m-Tc Sestamibi into an antecubital vein. Imaging occurred within 10 minutes of injection. Both craniocaudal and mediolateral oblique views were taken, along with any other views that were thought to be appropriate by the radiologist.

Patients underwent additional testing or imaging if further analysis was needed. Patients who exhibited suspicious areas upon imaging were monitored for an additional six or 12 months.

Of the 205 patients, 157 had no findings, while an additional 127 patients underwent a six or 12 month follow up with no additional adverse developments. In the remaining patients, 48 biopsies were performed, 21 of which were positive and 27 were negative. This resulted in a sensitivity of 90.5%, with a specificity of 87.5%, a positive predictive value of 45.2%, and a negative predictive value of 98.7%.

Patients with newly-diagnosed cancer, the findings from the breast-specific gamma imaging resulted in a change of surgical management for six patients. There were two occult contralateral cancers identified, and the other four patients underwent mastectomy as a result of more extensive disease visualisation.

The smallest cancers identified by the breast specific gamma imaging were 5 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm. There were two instances of false negative results.

"This technology is sensitive to small tumours, those less than 2 cm," explained Dr. Weigert.

Based on these findings, the researchers concluded that breast-specific gamma imaging can be a valuable tool to help diagnose unsuspected cancers with a high level of sensitivity and specificity
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Hopeful

Thanks, Lani. This technology is available in my area. I asked my surgeon about it, and she said we could use it as part of my follow up screening protocol. She told me that there is a test either in the design phase or underway to compare the results of BSGI with MRI's, to see if they are comparable. My understanding is that BSGI has fewer false positives. My radiology onc said the cost of this test is about 1/3 of an MRI, including the dr.'s fees.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote