HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Tom

Exclamation Calling RB...

Dear RB. I know you are out there, and I need your help. I have been looking for an article you posted regarding the use of high-dose EPA/DHA as a therapeutic program, but in my frazzled state, I have not been able to locate it. If you happen to know where the article is on the site, and might be willing to let me know either here or by private message, I would be most appreciative. I have been ramping up the dose of EPA/DHA for Mom each day, but I don't know what target dose I should aim for. Since Omega-3 has been shown to down-regulate HER2 already, I would like to increaee it to the maximum safe dose at the same time I am increasing her intake of EGCG, which as you know, is a natural tyrosine kinase inhibitor. I can only hope to hold the cancer at bay with these supplements while they continue to withold Mom's Herceptin. I may also add IP-6 as it has PI3K inhibition properties. Thanks.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
R.B.

Tom,

It is good news you are staying positive.

I cannot cut and paste as something on this site does not like mozilla firefox, and there is nothing I have found that I can alter that makes it work. I have not had time to reload the microsoft browser to see if that will work.

If you type "very thought provoking" or "thought provoking" into the site search engine (above right) you should find it.

I do not think you can call it a therpay. It was simply one mans record, and the doctors raising a possible link between his omega three intake and tumour regession.

The Linus Pauling site has some information on possible side effects doses dangers etc- mainly blood thinning, and there are other sites as well that deal with the subject.

Clearly you must reach your own conclusions in conjunction with your advisors. The only comment I can make from my reading is that there is significant suggestion that the omega six intake must be considered as well, and for me needs balancing with the threes or better.

The article gives intake figures in that case and from memory shows a second level of improvement when the ratio tipped to the side of omega three. You will have to check all food labels, including supplements as many use sunflower etc as bulking agents, and consider the omega six content particularly of food oils.

The body will also have stored reserves of fats that represent what has been eaten over the last month and years, which complicates things if the body is using stored fats.

It is not simple and regretably the trials that might give us some answers simply have not been done so you are in "uncharted" territory.

Beans, veg fibre etc to get the best elimination are important too.

I hope things improve.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Tom

Wink Thanks

Thank you for your qucik response. That post title does seem to ring a bell, and I will look for it now. I need to get my ducks in a row for tomorrow's onc meeting. They always give me the hairy eyeball when they walk into the room, as I always have a handful of research to show them before they start talking. I have printed out the latest articles on Tykerb and Xeloda. The Xeloda article specifically mentions it's appropriate use in elderly patients. I am hoping they will consider the mentioned "additive" effect of Xeloda and Herceptin, and ask them to continue Herceptin as well, as it is well known that one f Herceptin's mechanisms of action is to help conventional chemos identify malignant cells, and make them more receptive to apoptosis. I also included one of lani's articles on whtether or not Herceptin still offers any benefit after you experience disease progression while receiving it. We'll have to see what they say tomorrow. Thanks agin for your response.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
R.B.

If you do not find it please tell me and I will try and copy the link and email it.

I was working at something else and just went for a visit to HER 2 for a break.

You will be in unknown territory. If you look at the posts in articles of interest "The importance of Omega three and six to breast cancer you will see omega three seems to "upgrade" some chemos, which to me suggests it works in similar mechanism areas, but it is all just unknowns, and the subject is just vast.

Good luck tomorrow and well done for your determination, it is often reported that the patient is the best advocate or in this case you.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Yorkiegirl

Here Is The Link

This is link your looking for Tom.

http://www.cabnr.unr.edu/cabnr/news...onandcancer.pdf

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

Link Didn't Work

WELL darn it didn't work.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Becky

Theophyline is another P13K inhibitor. It is found in coffee and green tea. Also, caffeine is another P13K inhibitor and is in the same drinks (and green tea is great for you anyway).

Becky

PS - I remember reading the article and the man with lung cancer was using 12 grams per day of fish oil capsules but when his persistant nodule wasn't shrinking, he upped it to 21g per day (did so gradually). Also, if your mom can tolerate it, an aspirin or ibuprofen a day (a regular strength one) would be good as a COX2 inhibitor (both drugs are also COX1 as well - neither work as good as Celebrex but... you can get them and you know you aren't risking heart problems).
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote