HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Sheila

Sorry I have not posted much lately but my life has been more than hectic. My Grandaughter Jasmine finally had the surgery to begin correction of her spine....the 3 hour surgery took almost 9 hrs, as there was bone grafting from the iliac crest and rod placements...she did better than expected, was able to come off the vent in 4 hours and grew 2 inches with the surgery. She did spend 1 week in intensive care but is now home and able to sleep lying down for the first time in her 9 years....she has always had to sleep in a tumbleforms chair due to breathing problems from her spine. What a joy to be able to go out and buy a bed for her.....although she is still on oxygen, it has been cut by 50%. She has to learn to walk all over again with her "new back" but what a small price to pay. Although this is the first of many surgeries for her back, we have seen remarkable results already...she has taught us all a valuable lesson....several orthopedics who have seen her over the years have always said nothing could be done for her due to other health problems, and that her condition would worsen and be terminal. After months of searching we found a Dr performing a new technique for children with severe spinal defornities. There were risks involved but also the opportunity to live a more normal life...so never give up hope, as she has shown us, every day is a blessing and new treatments are there for us...we just have to keep searching and hoping.
Hugs to all, my prayers have been answered.
Sheila
Old 07-31-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
*_Cathy_*

Dear Shelia- God Bless you and your beautiful grandaughter. It's amazing how we can learn and grow through the inspiration and experiences of others. What a wonderful grandmom you are! Praise God! Your prayers are surely being answered!!! God Bless you all- Cathy
Old 07-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
jojo

Hello Sheila, your news of Jasmine just made my day! :-)
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
sassy

Wonderful, always have hope and faith.

Sassy
Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
Kristen

Dear Sheila,
You put it so beautifully, if we keep searching we may find our answers. Thank you for reminding us. What a blessing for your darling Jasimine. K
Old 07-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
al from canada

Dear Sheila,

That made my day as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how much we can learn from kids!

Jasmine was meant to be, to look after her family and her grandma

You are blessed to have her!

Al
Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
StephN

WOW!
That was a long procedure for your little one, but worth the wait as the outcome seems so hopeful.
You must have been exhausted when the surgery was over. I know you have great faith and a very positive spirit and these qualities got you through.
What joy it must be to see Jasmine bounce back with such good progress so soon.
You mention "the first of many surgeries." What is next, or do they not plan anything until they know more about how this one goes?
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Sheila

Steph
She will require rod adjustment and some more bone grafting every 6 months until she is done growing....considering she will be 9 and wears a size 5, I would say she has a lot of growth left in her....so several more to go through, but with the miracle of the 1st, she should continue to improve.
Thanks for your kind words.
Hugs
Sheila