View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Lucky # 13 indeed...

ELAINE -- SAW YOU'RE LUCKY 13 NOTE AND CLICKED AND FOUND THIS --FROM 2010! Your post is below...

I AM LUCKY #13...! When I recurred in '98 throughout my liver, my positive attitude faltered. Big time. I read that less than 15% survived what I had. They (my oncs) didn't expect me to live the year.

Then my friend said, Come on, you've done this before, you'll do it again. I told her about the less than 15%. I was horrified. She said, FINE, MY LUCKY # IS 13. AND I'M GIVING IT TO YOU! YOU'RE #13!! That's it, she insisted. Done. 15 will survive. You're #13. She had a rhinestone pin made up for me that says --#13.

I have it by my sink. In my face. From the moment she spoke those words the #13 kept popping up in my life. The very next morning my injection materials for a really really low white blood cell count arrived at my door. The driver said, Just sign here. I'd forgotten my glasses. I looked at the blur before me and asked, Where do I sign. RIGHT HERE HE SAID. YOU'RE #13.

At the bakery, I got my ticket as I stood on line. I was #13. And on and on, to this day. My husband put it on his license plate. His initials followed by 13.

It's official, I thought. Every time I saw a 13, I K N E W that the Universe had my back!

And here we both are, Elaine! God bless.

The next August (after re dx) my 2nd grandchild was born. ON THE 13th of Aug! (My dghtr called upset, she was in labor, I was going to witness the birth as I had with the 1st. I'm on my way, I said. NO, she squealed, I can't give birth today! It's Friday the 13th. YES, I told her, 13 is lucky -- remember. Oh right! And soon I saw my first grandson somersault out into this world with his flaming red hair! Awesome...

MUCH LOVE,
ANDI

ElaineM

12 years and still counting
Happy New Year !! Hauoli Makahiki Hou !!
I couldn't let this occassion pass without wishing all of you peace, good health and joy in 2011 and beyond.
I was diagnosed in early January, 1999. A doctor told me I had 6 months to live at the beginning of 2000. I remember that day. I did not say anything. I just laid on his exam table quietly, but in my heart and mind I decided that was not going to happen to me !!!!!!!!
I didn't know how I was going to accomplish that task that day, but I figured it out as I went along. I learned as much as I could, was not afraid to challenge doctors when it was appropriate to do so and found ways to get the things I needed. This journey has not always been easy, but I kept going even though I changed the route a couple of times.
I changed doctors when I needed to do that. On the other side of the coin I am still working with one or two doctors I first saw in 1999. Thankfully they are willing to travel with me through this journey.
I am still learning and putting one foot in front of the other. I promised my doctors I will be showing up for check ups when I am 90. That is my goal.
Never give up !!!!!!! Determination, believing in the possibility of success, learning as much as we can, refusing to give up, and being proactive and aggressive are the keys to long term survival.
All the best to each and everyone of you !!!!!!!!!! Never give up !!!!!!!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 07-02-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote