View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #25
weezie1053

Smile

Mary, although I have been a member since last fall, I only recently started reading the posts and threads in the past couple of months. There have been numerous comments regarding neuropathy which is quite common following Taxol. I had horrific neuropathy at the end of my 16-week Taxol cycle (completed in Feb 07). Both my hands and my feet throbbed. My Oncologist prescribed Neurontin after I read about it on this website. It did, however, make me drowsy. I later switched to Lyrica which really relieved the pain. I had a very rare side affect to Lyrica which was itching in the mid-stomach area. Don't know of anybody else with this side affect, but I, of course, got it. The itching finally stopped when I quit taking the Lyrica. I would recommend it vs. Neurontin. Do not be hard on yourself about your ankles feeling like they are swollen. This too is a side affect of these drugs. I only recently could walk down the stairs normally without placing two feet on a step. I didn't see the veins in my feet for months due to puffiness. Other than a little numbness in my toes, my neuropathy is finally waning. It took 6-7 months, however, before I felt like I could walk normally. Today, I walked three miles with my grandson with no lingering tiredness or pain, so the light is at the end of the tunnel.

The sun will soon shine on you as well.

Hang in there!

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote