View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
DianneS

Jaimieh,
I know. This stuff knocks you down, but I guess that's what it's supposed to do. Hang in there - if I can do it, you can too! Just be sure to take the Dexamethazone as directed. After my first treatment I got woozy the next a.m. and after talking to the doc on the phone they figured my blood sugar had dropped, so I had to wean off of Dexamethazone for about 3 days after chemo. Also, I was hungry a lot from the Dexa but not for healthy stuff. I wanted junk! I have gained 10 lbs and am getting back up to speed slowly so I can lose the fat. For some reason, today I was able to walk UPHILL without being totally out of breath or stopping and - my legs didn't feel like jelly! I do have some swelling below the knees but not too bad.
Some other side effects I got you might also have: sensitive to cold when eating/drinking, ringing in my ears (Carboplatin), dry skin, especially on my face- I found Burt's Bee's Carrot Day creme to be absolutely wonderful for this. Keeping skin moisturized is a good idea because this 'poison' is so drying. I had a flushed face for a few days after chemo. I only had 5.5 treatments as I wasn't tolerating the Taxotere well and my onc said there is no evidence that 6 treatments is any better than 4. I still opted for one more (insert eye roll here) and wonder if I should have stopped at the 4.5 point.

You're right in the middle of things now, Jaimieh, and you sound like you're tolerating the TCH well. You'll be back to running marathons - just be patient (like, I should talk ) it's difficult if you're active and have to slow things down for awhile. I'm looking at my sea kayak and wishing I had the energy to go paddle for awhile...have to remember my last treatment was not a month ago! Just keep on walking, it doesn't matter how far you go or how fast.
Was just thinking - were you told to drink extra water/juice for the first 3 days after treatment? I did and didn't get mouth sores. Also I think it helps flush the stuff out of your system.

Keep on truckin'
Diannes
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote