View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
DonnaD

Re: Positive stories, please come out of the woods

Hi Marcia,
I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by all the sad news we have experienced on the site recently. We are a close family feeling others pain.

Please remember there are many positive stories now because of Herceptin. I think the sisters we lost and most recurrences were not given Herceptin when first diagnosed. They received Herceptin at the metastatic stage. If my memory serves me right Herceptin was approved by the FDA in 2006? We are so fortunate to have had our miracle drug at the beginning of our battle with cancer.

I just saw my onc Jan 11 and ask her how many recurrences she had from patients who had Herceptin since it was approved for early stage breast cancer. She said only ONE! That is amazing since she treats many at a large teaching hospital in Chicago.

One other thing to consider is when most breast cancer survivors are finished with treatment and doing fine they get on with their lives. They don't want to think or hear about cancer. I am so thankful for members here like Becky and Jean who stay on the site and continue to offer their knowledge and wisdom to all.

I am reminded every day to celebrate life because of my cancer. My children are grown and I am now into grandchildren. I want the same dreams as you, to see them grow, go to college and marry. Because of Herceptin we really do have that chance. Take a deep breath, enjoy your wonderful family and concentrate on all the blessings. Continue to remember those struggling right now and keep them in daily your prayers.

I am 3 1/2 years out.
Hugs,
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 01-31-2010 at 04:30 PM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote