View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #36
PinkGirl

I've got another one - but it won't stand up to the diaphragm/yarmulke story, the bald lady sliding on the black ice, or Chris' moon into the headlights.

Mine is more of a "stupid, not thinking" story. I was working in the office of a building/supply business. They were short staffed one Saturday and asked me if I would work and be willing to fill in during the lunch hours. I said, sure.

Two of the big bosses from our head office showed up that day. I said hello and continued on working. Then my husband came in to buy something, so I went over to him to "serve" him. He wanted to buy some of that really thick, heavy rubber baseboard, so I pulled out the roll, measured it off, held it right in front of my stomach, and pulled the box cutter straight through and into my stomach.

I was wearing a belt that must have acted like a tourniquet because the blood squirted out of me like a fountain. I started to laugh and put my hand on it to stop the bleeding. My husband was not impressed. I saw the two big bosses looking at me and I tried to stop laughing but I couldn't. My husband motioned me toward the washroom and we went in together.

This is where I wasn't thinking straight. He looked at my cut, which he called a laceration, and pulled the skin back and showed me that he could see about 3 layers. He insisted I go to the hospital for stitches. All of a sudden I felt weak in the knees. I had looked at the cut and now I was feeling sick.

So I came out of the washroom with my husband's arm around me and realized that the big bosses are thinking that I went into the john with some customer. They didn't know my husband. I smiled, sort of introduced them all, and they sighed a big relief. Then I went to emergency for the stitches and got a few strange looks. I had forgotten that it was Hallowe'en and I was dressed up as a pirate. I had my hand over a large circle of blood and the tight belt was holding my plastic sword. I even had a stuffed parrot sewn onto my shoulder. I got my stitches and a tetanus shot and went home.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album