View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
jmihay

Herceptin more than one year

Herceptin more than one year

Hi Nora,
I just this week wrote and asked for people who had been on for more than 5 years and got 4 answers. I have been using it for 6 years. You don't say if this is for a new cancer or metastatic. Mine is metastatic and it was not until last June that I got a PET/CAT scan that was NED. Then my onc.gave me the choice to go on or not. I opted to continue as my heart tests have been fine these 6 years and I do not believe Herceptin CAUSES brain tumors, I think the cancer does, and the Herceptin cannot stop it because it cannot cross the brain barrier. This is only my opinion, I have not read it anywhere. My tumor blood tests have never shown an abnormal number even when the cancer was active so I cannot quit and rely on them. I used to play a lot of tennis where I learned not to change a winning strategy.

If your cancer is new, I have no advice as it hadn't been developed back when mine was new (1986). It was almost 15 years before mine metastasized and I am grateful for that as by then Herceptin was available.

Love and support,
Joan
jmihay is offline   Reply With Quote