View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
AlaskaAngel

Re: Triple positive-Always a recurrance?

Hi Tankweti,

The cross-talk was the problem I too could see with taking tamoxifen, but back when I was going through tx 14 years ago, everyone seemed deaf about it. I finally just dumped out of continuing to take tamoxifen, on my own... first cutting back to half-dose for about 3/4 of a year before dropping it. I had taken full-dose for a year before that. At the time, I noticed that within 3 months after starting tamoxifen, my mammograms had gone from showing very dense breasts to showing no density at all, and I raised that question with providers but they didn't see any relevance to that. Later on, when I saw the work that was done by the Karolinska Institute that related breast density changes to tamoxifen usage, I realized that their investigation results would probably apply to me. (Check it out online, tamoxifen and Karolinska Institute). So my guess is that I was one of those for whom tamoxifen was best-suited.... if they had understood the mammogram density loss results, and if it had been taken only short-term like I took it, to minimize any further risk due to tamoxifen cross-talk.

I did no taxane, no Herceptin, and no AI and remain without recurrence thus far, although like you, as a HR+ late recurrence is a possibility for us both. (At the time I was treated, neither Herceptin nor AI's were available to me other than by clinical trial, or I would have accepted Herceptin.) What is especially ironic is that as a HR+ I probably would actually have saved myself a lot of misery and would have gotten more bang for the buck out of skipping chemo and doing the Herceptin and hormone therapy.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote