View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Re: New US Obesity Numbers

Morning, Tanya (or afternoon where you are!)

The Registered Dietitian at the cancer center in Seattle used the MedGem with me in 2008 to calculate the 1440 calories as a basic maintenance diet for me without exercise, and then he and I agreed on 1350 calories with exercise, and it was on that amount that I steadily gained weight. At this point I don't know whether to think that the MedGem is accurate with people who haven't had their metabolism affected by chemotherapy, or whether when it was used for me something was incorrectly done. I am planning an appointment with the RD for October to go over this together, and I will report back here then.

What I want to know is, does chemotherapy affect the metabolism of the breast cancer population differently than the nontreated population, or alternatively, given that the majority of breast cancer patients are over age 55, are the changes in metabolism significantly different than is commonly recognized (simply due to commonalities of aging).

This morning is sunny so doing my morning walk was less difficult than walking in yesterday's steady downpour, and I added 40 paces of light running in-between some of my walking, as a way of incorporating your suggestion. Well, it feels like it might be helping so I am going to hope it is. I do want to add for the benefit of others, though, that wearing a pad might be a good idea since at this age I had some minor leakage that was annoying, that I don't have with just walking.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote