View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Re: New US Obesity Numbers

Hi Jackie and Tanya,

To Jackie - Up to age 50 I was at mid-range of BMI and mostly looked like my mum. My older sister was short and overweight and looked like our paternal Gran. After treatment it took 6 years but I did lose the 25 pounds I had gained -- BUT -- am having more trouble now losing weight by doing exactly the same diet and techniques that worked in the first 5 years after treatment. The metabolism is slowing down.

To Tanya - I've had the vertigo once a year or so ever since completing chemotherapy, and it doesn't fluctuate with eating so I would guess it isn't hypoglycemia. My blood sugars stay in normal range for labs. The only thing I do that is sort of like interval training is that I do my daily 3 miles mixing walking backward with walking forward so that it exercises different muscles and improves balance. (The pavement is clear and very smooth, with some uphill and downhill sections.) It looks weird I'm sure to passersby but so be it. I have been avoiding jumping rope but may throw bits of that in to try interval training. Thank you for the reminder and suggestion for that. As the weather gets colder and wetter I am doing more resistance exercise indoors, too. I will be seeing the endocrinologist later this fall to see if I can get a more accurate idea of what my true metabolism actually is, so that I know better what calorie level/exercise level I have to aim for. I definitely think that we need some post-treatment support by endocrinologists to know where we should work to go with it all if we are to avoid recurrence through weight management.

Thanks!

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote