View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Mandamoo

Some questions for Tanya

Ok so this diet stuff can get really confusing when it comes to cancer. I understand the mainstream recommendations but there is so much "stuff" out there in relation to prevention of disease recurrence, healing with food etc...
Can I pose some of the regular ones and see what you think>?

Dairy - good or bad or indifferent?
Animal protein - Is this a no go? Is it an issue with acid formation, saturated fat content? Are there ay benefits to including animal protein in diet when dealing with Stage 4 disease?
Is there any truth whatsoever in the Alkaline diet helping to control cancer/ prevent disease progression?
What about the paleo diet - elimination of grains, dairy but higher intake of animal protein and saturated fats.
Ketogenic diet - there seems to be some evidence that this can have an influence on disease progression when calorie controlled - can this be maintained long term though?

I have followed a mostly plant based diet without dairy for nearly 2 years - I have eaten fish, green juiced etc... Mostly i have felt very well, my disease has continued to progress. I have recently decided to change to including more animal protein back into my diet and I have eliminated grains.

Recently I started perjeta and I have some issues with diarrhoea so far which I am trying to manage also in addition to a reduced appetite.

I truly believe that what we eat influences our health. I am not interested in artificial nutrition and would like to gain nutrients from real food not supplements. I still want to enjoy life and food (I was quite happily doing this) - But I want to optimise my health and I am confused!

I am not overweight - 172cm tall and 65kg - my weight has fluctuated between 58kg and 68kg over the past two years.

I find the standard advice very mainstream and all aimed at weight maintenance as opposed to health optimisation and preventing disease progression.

Any thoughts?
Amanda
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote