Thread: Brenda
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
alicem

Re: Brenda

I'm so glad I was able to say goodbye to her in the hospital today before she passed away.

I brought her the love from all of you, her HER2 Family, and gave it to her by holding her hand, stroking her face and giving her one last hug. May it bring you comfort to know that she was not in any pain, and was sleeping deeply, and peacefully for that last day or so.

She loved life, and fought hard for every breath. Brenda was her own advocate and always tried to do what was best for her treatment. I'm sharing this photo that was taken of our group in San Antonio last December. Note that she was on the phone - either trying to check on the TDM-1 trial, or checking on what to do with an old spot that had shown up at the base of her brain.

I hope you don't mind, but I think Brenda would appreciate me using one of her well known phrases right now. This is CRAP ON A CRAPSTICK! Actually, it is worse than that. Words can not express how we are all feeling now. In addition to praying for Brenda and all of her loved ones, I ask you to pray for our nation's scientists and researchers. They CANNOT find the solution and the cure fast enough. It needed to be found yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that . . . .

I know that Joe Druther, founder of this forum, was in front of the line, waiting to welcome her and share a few jokes and laughs.

I loved you like a sister my friend, god speed.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote